Votes: 10 58.8%
  • With spectacles removed

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • No idea

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 15865

Wondering what others wearing spectacles do while listening to music do. Removing them is a hassle because you got to put them on again to change the CD/vinyl, select next track/album while streaming, read liner notes, etc. On the other hand, some (like me) can’t ‘feel’ the music completely with specs on the nose. So, wondering what most spectacled FM’s do. Kindly vote.

Wondering what others wearing spectacles do while listening to music do. Removing them is a hassle because you got to put them on again to change the CD/vinyl, select next track/album while streaming, read liner notes, etc. On the other hand, some (like me) can’t ‘feel’ the music completely with specs on the nose. So, wondering what most spectacled FM’s do. Kindly vote.

Hi Sachin,
Although I have been having a number for over 30 years but never made it a habit of wearing them regularly. For music, spectacles is a definite hindrance for me since sometimes one wishes to hear with your eyes closed. Luckily I can read the CD covers & text without any issues. The text on the CD player's display is anyways not visible from the mlp. For streaming & browsing on Spotify, I make my playlist on the computer & send it over to the receiver. For watching movies I do require spectacles

Regards.

The only time I don't wear my glasses is when I am sleeping, otherwise my mind is kinda blacked out with out them when I am awake.

I am also looking to integrate some kind of graphic equalizer display into my system so all the senses are immersed into what I listen. I do listen to the system with all lights out so this won't be used in those times.

Never
Looks like your prescription numbers are pretty low else you wouldn't even think of removing them, music or otherwise :).
Like blackscorpio, I do not remove mine except when sleeping. Never notice them except when not on my nose ;).

I do hope only the bespectacled are voting.

I have been wearing high number glasses since 1987 and like FMs posted above only time I take these off when I'm sleeping and taking bath.

I never had trouble while listening to my car or home systems. In fact specs do help me to read fine text written on music sources, DAC etc.

For me it's neither here nor there. And at times can't enjoy music for a longer time due to that.
My one eye has positive number and other has negetive

Thanks guys for the spontaneous sharing.

Reading your responses I realise it is also a function of the severity of number like @Naturelover points out. Mine is + 1.75 and increasing since age of 40. I can still afford to remove specs when I am not reading. I usually finish reading the liner notes before I start listening to an album so I can take the specs off and close my eyes when I drift off into the music. This is kind of similar to removing specs during mediation. Perhaps those of use who don’t put them on the entire waking time do feel their presence when we are focused on listening/meditating. For those who do (like @rsjaurr) perhaps it feels like second skin.

And then I see that our listening styles vary too. Some of us like to read lyrics (I do only I when play a new singer-songwriter, else I just catch the lyrics I can by ear, and anyway focus more on the overall musical experience generally). Also, those of us more into listening to an entire CD or record in a sitting can afford to remove specs and also close our eyes. But not those who prefer streaming and keep exploring and adding tracks to the playlist (@yogibear and @sound_cycle for example), unless we plan it like @Nitin K. Some of us keep shifting between the two modes like @rikhav.

So, the prescription number, choice or source, listening style, and degree of comfort with spectacles... all seem to play a role in whether we remove or keep them on while listening.

@blackscorpio, a cheap solution could be the decibel X app (or any such) playing on a mobile/tablet. Doesn’t need any connections, just picks the sound signal and gives attractive (and useful) equaliser displays.

A related question- to those who primarily play music through streaming/PC: Are there any voice controlled virtual assistants (like Amazon Alexa) embedded in/integrated with the streaming/casting apps you use? If available. would you rather use them (as remote control to your PC/streamer) than visually selecting tracks/albums to play?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have started to wear only recently and still getting used to it.
Often misplace it so have to survive without is aswell.
Guess while listening it rests on the head and back to the eyes for reading or song selection

I have started to wear only recently and still getting used to it.
Often misplace it so have to survive without is aswell.
Guess while listening it rests on the head and back to the eyes for reading or song selection

Wonder why those 10k+ frames yet don’t come with a bluetooth based location tracker! Misplacing spectacles is such a common problem that could be so easily solved by frame makers.

Not sure what the FM premise is here. It doesn't make a difference as far i understand. its just a matter of habit
IMHO, feeling music is all about mind, regardless of physical surroundings

For those with glasses, a book on Dr. William Bates is a good book to read. Offcourse I have been lazy to follow his eye exercises & diet religiously. Though in today's fast times certain things may not be practical but the fundamental's of his research is very true & has debunked a lot of views of ophthalmologists & opticians who knowingly suggest the opposite for lucrative reasons sometimes.
I have myopic vision since mid 80's with my current number being -1.50 in one eye & -1.75 in the other which has remained more or less constant for many years. I wear spectacles only when I really need them & never otherwise since I don't wan't my eyes to get too used to them & to use the eye muscles as much as they can without straining too much.

Wonder why those 10k+ frames yet don’t come with a bluetooth based location tracker! Misplacing spectacles is such a common problem that could be so easily solved by frame makers.
Eye wear with Bluetooth based location tracker.! A great idea to solve the problem for some guys like me...
:cool: Seriously!!

Bose has come out with Sunglasses having blue tooth and speakers. You can connect to youtube and Alexa plus take phone calls. They are available here.
So I am sure it is possible to implement what you desire on the glasses itself.

Not sure what the FM premise is here. It doesn't make a difference as far i understand. its just a matter of habit
IMHO, feeling music is all about mind, regardless of physical surroundings

Respect your view. It’s quite possible for some it doesn’t make a difference whether they wear glass while listening to music or don’t. On the other hand, it does to some (one way or the other) as is obvious from the comments above and poll responses. The premise is to effectuate conversation on the subject - we don’t always have a singular objective for every enterprise - sometimes we initiate activities we feel like embarking upon remaining open to what might surface.

I have to use my spectacles almost all time as I had undergone operation years ago for diabetic cataract. Really it poses hindrances while changing tracks of a CD or while streaming. As for vinyls I try to listen to all the songs. But at the listening hour while spinning vinyls I use my spectacles and once it starts spinning, I keep my spectacles on a tea table and when the tone arm is about to return to its place , I wear it. Very much disgusting but I have no other choice.
Regards

In car I were spectacles as I can get headache or uncomfortable looking the rest of the world through windshield. In home I don't were it usually as I am only dealing with CDs and CD player.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back