Fostex Fe166En build

My suggestion - Let the 166en have adequate breakin time 100hr+ before you do any EQ with them. It will not make sense. Any change (if any) should be tried only after 3 months of listening. You may go no-where if you start modifications now.

My suggestion - Let the 166en have adequate breakin time 100hr+ before you do any EQ with them. It will not make sense. Any change (if any) should be tried only after 3 months of listening. You may go no-where if you start modifications now.
Dear Hari, I learnt this from your earlier comments. I will surely wait and give enough time for the drivers to breakin.

Hi,

I tried something very similar, but it is really remarkable how much difference it makes after just some 50-60 hours of burnin, Whole spectrum will sound better. I have not experienced this with other drivers that i have used.

Bass department i am not sure how much better a BLH will make, ultimately it depends on taste.

I am currently using 166En for freq upwards of 100 Hz, must say it is performing very good. With low end supported by a Sub/alike ,It really stands on it's own. Addition of tweeter for HF extension i did not feel as a necessity as a bit of Eq upwards of 16k is meeting my taste.

All i can suggest is give it some more burn in time.

Thanks
Harsha
Hi Harsha,
thanks a lot for your inputs !!!

BLH enclosure will help if you want to 'extract' bass from the driver/ enclosure combo.
If, you are going to use a woofer, anyway, BLH build does not make sense.

I suggest you make a bass reflex enclosure with 7.6Ltr volume and have a port on the same side of the driver.

Material 12mm MDF
Enclosure W x D x H: 22.5cms x 14.5cms x 34cms
Port W x H x D: 4.7cms x 4.7cms x 8cms
Crossover: 100Hz

Dear Ravindra,
Thanks a lot for taking time and suggesting dimensions !!!
I was thinking the back loaded horn will improve the mids and vocals as well.
If it is going to improve only bass, I will add a good sub instead of building BLH. They take too much space too.
Thank you once again for all the help. I am one of the guys wanting to meet you sometime :)

Edit:
hi Ravindra, may be tomorrow i will cut material as per your design.
Just want to confirm the 8cm port length is from the outer face of front baffle.
(please see the below image)

Ravindra Design Fostex_2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding a pic of Fostex and Altec along with their enclosures.

View attachment 29350

Amplification used, Still WIP on finishing

View attachment 29351

edit: added pic of amplification.
thamk you verymuch for sharing !!:):)
currently i may use a separate sub.
but Eventually i may do something like you.

(May be a two way tower with fostex + a sub driver )

Hope I am not spoiling your thread :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
BLH enclosure will help if you want to 'extract' bass from the driver/ enclosure combo.
If, you are going to use a woofer, anyway, BLH build does not make sense.

I suggest you make a bass reflex enclosure with 7.6Ltr volume and have a port on the same side of the driver.

Material 12mm MDF
Enclosure W x D x H: 22.5cms x 14.5cms x 34cms
Port W x H x D: 4.7cms x 4.7cms x 8cms
Crossover: 100Hz
hello Ravindra,
May be one last question from me please....
This 7.6L volume is including the driver and port?
Or.... should I estimate the driver and the port volume, and increase the box size accordingly?

I have tried a Fostex 206 and Lowther in open baffle, BLH and front horn.

These full rangers have a rising response with increasing frequency and were designed to work well in a large front horn. All other designs are a compromise and sound variously shouty, midrangey, anemic, tinny, and plain harsh.

Even if you are moderately critical listener you will eventually hear the phase issues with the BLH. The BLH action does not manifest itself until higher volume and you will have to play at reference levels for hearing any bass which is impossible in an apartment and anti social even if you have a large independent house(my family hated it).

I ended up with large ISIS front horns and huge bass bins. I was using bi amplification and an active crossover to get a somewhat balanced presentation. I eventually tired of the complexity of the system and got rid of it! However my favourite speaker is the Klipsch RF3 which not surprisingly has a horn tweeter.

It’s fun to build the boxes and quite a bit of effort to build a BLH. It’s all good. Enjoy the hobby. I still have the FE206 drivers and the kit to make a TL with all the quality parts required for a BSC.

I have tried a Fostex 206 and Lowther in open baffle, BLH and front horn.

These full rangers have a rising response with increasing frequency and were designed to work well in a large front horn. All other designs are a compromise and sound variously shouty, midrangey, anemic, tinny, and plain harsh.

Even if you are moderately critical listener you will eventually hear the phase issues with the BLH. The BLH action does not manifest itself until higher volume and you will have to play at reference levels for hearing any bass which is impossible in an apartment and anti social even if you have a large independent house(my family hated it).

I ended up with large ISIS front horns and huge bass bins. I was using bi amplification and an active crossover to get a somewhat balanced presentation. I eventually tired of the complexity of the system and got rid of it! However my favourite speaker is the Klipsch RF3 which not surprisingly has a horn tweeter.

It’s fun to build the boxes and quite a bit of effort to build a BLH. It’s all good. Enjoy the hobby. I still have the FE206 drivers and the kit to make a TL with all the quality parts required for a BSC.

That's a very Vivid experimentation, Thanks for sharing.

BTW do you have any BLH ?

That's a very Vivid experimentation, Thanks for sharing.

BTW do you have any BLH ?
Yes, I have one of the BLH serving as the stand for Wifi router:rolleyes: The other one was dismantled with great difficulty.

A BLH is really big and really heavy. Its quite complex and building a perfectly matched pair is a bit of a challenge as the chamber behind the speaker influences the quantity and quality of bass. Requires a degree of precision. Not saying it cannot be done by someone with the determination .

The no-compromise approach is a front horn and a BLH combination such as the beauhorn or the TP1 ISIS. Where the BLH has been carefully designed to minimise phase issues. I have no doubt such a design will sound superb.

Yes, I have one of the BLH serving as the stand for Wifi router:rolleyes: The other one was dismantled with great difficulty.

A BLH is really big and really heavy. Its quite complex and building a perfectly matched pair is a bit of a challenge as the chamber behind the speaker influences the quantity and quality of bass. Requires a degree of precision. Not saying it cannot be done by someone with the determination .

The no-compromise approach is a front horn and a BLH combination such as the beauhorn or the TP1 ISIS. Where the BLH has been carefully designed to minimise phase issues. I have no doubt such a design will sound superb.

Thanks for the summary, i was contemplating a BLH just to see how good it sounds. Guess i will hold back with the experiment as i am used to a bit of bass heavy tracks.

did you happen to experiment with any horns for HF drivers ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the summary, i was contemplating a BLH just to see how good it sounds. Guess i will hold back with the experiment as i am used to a bit of bass heavy tracks.

did you happen to experiment with any horns for HF drivers ?
I did experiment with a large exponential front horn based on the TP1 ISIS(quite an easy build with a jigsaw and flexible plywood). Also with alumumium horns that are used in PA. But these Fostex drivers do not need a HF horn, they need a bass horn to bring the bass up to meet the rising response of the HF. I found this actually works in practice. For the low bass, the BLH then picks up where front horn rolls off. But in my implementation I didnt do BLH, I had bass bins with active cross over. I ran out of patience. I could never get the cross over just right. I should have also built a properly sized back chamber for the horns but never did. The tone was to die for and the dynamics were brilliant. Never harsh, sibilant or thin, maybe a touch warm. I did get a taste of whats possible with well implemented horn speakers. But could not live with the gigantic contraption in my living room.

Back