Front baffle design for center channel - (similar to OB) - Suggestions please ....

How does it sound ?
I just watched a movie for 30min yesterday. Ooh it's too damn good !!! May be i was too excited to observe any shortcomings in that little time. But a quick observation is, there is no harshness, and no boominess. Yet...its just loud, clear, and powerfull. Exactly the way I wanted. :D
Need further observation for sure. Too early to judge. But first impress is just awesome !!!!

Earlier i didn't test with any baffle. This is the first baffle i made. But i connected one of those big towers (in the pic) to the center channel. There is clearly some difference. But unable to understand what that difference exactly is... I have to listen them and compare further. Hardly i checked for 20 min yesterday.
Il keep it posted as I get some clarity.

Getting tempted to build 2way OB for stereo.:D But don't know where to keep them. Two bookshelfs are also on the way.

However, clearly bass is more from the tower. But that doesn't matter. For the money and efforts i put, this center channel exceeded my expectations in every way !!.

Some sounds like "thud sound when a car door closes" etc are so damn lively !!!! Need to check different movies and different sounds though....

I have a question here, from the driver outer periphery, the baffle edges are 4" 5" 6" and 7" on all 4 sides.

So the acoustic off center is there, but "not too much". This little variation is enough??

Is there any minimum distance for any one of the baffle edges to the driver ???

I have to read some theory on this any way....

@Naveenbnc
I admire your family as they support all your fantasies. Not all are so privileged.
thats supposed to be children's room. I hijacked it :p:p
But you are right .....
they dont like when i make the room so messy ...but still they are not trying to stop me.
that way ....im very lucky:D
But im really worried about the saw dust with my 2 year old kid.
It does smell very uncomfortable. And it could be dangerous.

I get the pieces from cnc, and before entering my home, i stop the car somewhere on the road, and clean the pieces with a cloth.
But in my room, I drill holes before joining the pieces. Even this activity is spreading enough dust.
Surely problematic to my Kid. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Need to plan something different ....

Ahuja full ranger and OB...my favourite.

Few years ago I had stereo set up with Ahuja FR drivers 12" as open baffles..without cross over (supported by tweeter and dBX 231 31 band EQ). Was paired to Marantz pm60 series amp). Sound was great. Had to dismantle them due to space considerations.

Ahuja full ranger and OB...my favourite.

Few years ago I had stereo set up with Ahuja FR drivers 12" as open baffles..without cross over (supported by tweeter and dBX 231 31 band EQ). Was paired to Marantz pm60 series amp). Sound was great. Had to dismantle them due to space considerations.
True !!! Space is the killer.
But just wondering... without crossover, how did you split the signal between FR and tweeter ?? You mentioned some band EQ. Is it acting as a crossover ?? I'm curious to do something like that....

For FR: no crossover needed..in fact that's the beauty of FR driver. You get straight signal...but it needs help for high(above 8khz) and low freq below 70hz (this depends on baffle size)

For tweeter: I used a capacitor that's used for ceiling fans...can't remember details but it worked as high pass filter at 4khz

31 band eq was to help the speaker for low freq. Out of all adjustable frequency bands I had pushed up 31hz and something close to 45hz only. All remaining 29 sliders were kept at Flat level

Yes. Didn's seem to have any bad effect on sound. Got this idea while reading on net. Dirt cheap. Available at basic electrical shop.Worked very well with silk dome tweeter I used (Iwai brand..made somewhere near Mumbai).I had ordered 2 directly from manufacturer

Hi all .... as you know, I mounted the OB center channel very close to the front wall.
It is not an ideal placement, but I don't have a choice.

Im just wondering, what little improvements I can do without disturbing its position.
Will it help if we close the rear part of the baffle (driver also) with a sound absorption material ???

My idea is ..... it will filter and minimize the sound waves hitting the rear wall and bouncing back.
I saw this video lately ..... and thinking if this can do some trick .....

If you are not expecting much details below 200Hz from your center channel, then a simple 4" FR driver should also fit the bill.
Dear Hari,

Is there any 4" FR driver that "may" give good vocals, and have an overall performance as good as 12" Ahuja?
Just out of curiosity, I am looking for options to upgrade my center channel.
Surely I am not going to buy branded ones.

The following options I have:
1. FR mounted on a baffle, or ...
2. Build a two way shallow box (something like in wall)
What could be an upgrade from this SK12FRX? without spending too much?

( updating my old threads just in case they help new comers)
Currently I ended up with Fane 12" FR as a center channel. It's neither an OB nor a sealed. I made the box purely on practicality. I made similar to aperiodic box. Behind screen.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back