FULL HD 1080p projectors shootout!

after discounts the dealer has offered 96.5k, but that is still way too much considering the 1000$ price.
I would be interested if the price can come down by 10k, but that seems highly unlikely..
looks as if i will have to settle for a 720p

santhol2, can you provide the details of the site from which you got this imported? couldn't understand what "KMD of TE" means?

Last edited:
Jayad, KMD is a seller on another PC forum which is called techenclave, he imports stuff from outside, you can google to get more details.

I was myself looking at ebay global buy today, still surfing the site, will see if i get any good deals from them.

Has anyone ordered a projector from global ebay.

i found HD 65 for 45k
http://orders.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ImportHubViewItem&itemid=110443710877

Is it the final cost or do i have to pay anything more on it

after discounts the dealer has offered 96.5k, but that is still way too much considering the 1000$ price.
I would be interested if the price can come down by 10k, but that seems highly unlikely..
looks as if i will have to settle for a 720p

santhol2, can you provide the details of the site from which you got this imported? couldn't understand what "KMD of TE" means?

Jayad, KMD is a seller on another PC forum which is called techenclave, he imports stuff from outside, you can google to get more details.

I was myself looking at ebay global buy today, still surfing the site, will see if i get any good deals from them.

Has anyone ordered a projector from global ebay.

i found HD 65 for 45k
Global Easy Buy

Is it the final cost or do i have to pay anything more on it

Like Dushie said, KMD (his handle on Tech Enclave is KatManDude) is a dealer on Techenclave. You need to give him a URL of a product available in the US and he will get it for you.

Check out this URL for more details:

DO: KMD: DIWALI SALE - 10% OFF - USA Online Stores at your Doorstep - TechEnclave

Many of my friends have bought through him and vouch for him. My interaction with KMD has been smooth as well. Let me explain with my own experience:

I sent him a PM in the first week of September with the URL of Optoma HD20 sold at VisualApex. Cost of projector at VisualApex was $999. KMD then sent me a quote of Rs.60,600 for it to reach Mumbai. He also sent me all payment options - Citi, ICICI, SBI etc. Happy with the quote, I then transferred paid half the amount Rs.30,300 to his account. I got his PM yesterday saying that my Projector was here. He had also mentioned the balance amount and my shipping options to Bangalore. I chose next day shipping through Blue Dart at Rs.900 and transferred the remaining half of my payment + shipping charges. I received confirmation of receipt and shipping. Today I got a call from Blue Dart at 1PM asking directions to my home. 5 minutes later got a call from wifey confirming it. Can't wait to get back home:yahoo:

Tip: KMD's office in USA is located in New York. So ensure you ship from outside NY State otherwise it will attract NY State Tax. My projector would have cost me around 7k more if I had shipped from NY.

@Dushie: HD65 for 45 is a superb deal mate. Can't find HD20 though.

Last edited:
congrats santosh

definetly 45k for the HD 65 is a great deal , i paid 68k here in bangalore when it had`just come into the market about a year`and a half ago

actually even 45k through ebay global is a bit high, i was checking the prices in US stores it is costing from $625 to $699.

Trying to find out if i have anyone traveling so i can order the same. This way can save a lot on shipping cost.

sorry if it is a stupid question..
but how do u ensure that the shipping takes place from outside of NY, do u check the site from which u provide the the link to KMD.

Another quest, I suppose the HD20 u got would be 110V. So which adapter did u purchase for 220V conversion?

Also just an update for all guys following HD20 keenly..optoma upgrade for HD20 with a 1600$ price tag..with a better lens shift and hopefully better blacks..

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD2200.htm
http://www.hcinema.de/pdf/optomahd2200-usa.pdf

Last edited:
but how do u ensure that the shipping takes place from outside of NY, do u check the site from which u provide the the link to KMD.

Another quest, I suppose the HD20 u got would be 110V. So which adapter did u purchase for 220V conversion?

Also just an update for all guys following HD20 keenly..optoma upgrade for HD20 with a 1600$ price tag..with a better lens shift and hopefully better blacks..

Optoma Projectors: Optoma HD2200 DLP projector
http://www.hcinema.de/pdf/optomahd2200-usa.pdf

thanks for the information abt the HD2200

most of the PJs are 110v-240v so thats not an issue

Finally, I managed to setup the projector last night and watched a few clips from various movies as well. I am hugely impressed with the Optoma HD20. I am glad that I am able to view such a large screen comfortably seated at even 10 feet (my seating will be at around 13 feet). Thanks to all the forum members who convinced me to go in for a projector and not a large Plasma (I bought both:clapping:). I do not have much experience in projectors and I am still setting it up. Also, I am not able to project a 120 inch image yet (falling short by about 12 inches ie., 7 inches on one side and 5 inches on the other). I will fix it today by shifting the projector mount backwards by another feet or whatever works best.

Also, the projector is not noisy and cannot be heard even though it is right above where I was sitting. The only time you can hear it when you turn it off, but that's fine since we have completed watching the movie:)

Now, if Dushie, Subhash or anyone would like to check it out, you are most welcome to drop in. Please drop me a PM..Thanks:)

Last edited:
actually even 45k through ebay global is a bit high, i was checking the prices in US stores it is costing from $625 to $699.

Trying to find out if i have anyone traveling so i can order the same. This way can save a lot on shipping cost.
If you can get someone to carry it for you, nothing like it. In my case, when I had my cousin travelling, the HD20 was not out yet, so I had to shell out the extra 12k. But IMO, it was still better than paying 1 Lac plus that I was quoted at that time and lesser than the 63k that I was quoted for a HD65(with spare lamp and warranty). Opert, a fellow member here and I compared the specs of the HD20 to the HD65 and felt that the HD20 had similar specs plus it was FullHD. Opert also convinced me that Full-HD is the way to go and I would not be need to worry about an upgrade for the next 2 years atleast.

Check the "Contact us" or similar link on their homepage. Thats what I did.

thanks for the information abt the HD2200

most of the PJs are 110v-240v so thats not an issue
Although, I knew this, I was a little scared to plug it to my 220 volts socket. I read the manual again to see if there were any instructions to toggle between 110v and 220 anywhere but could not find it. Since I was eager, I connected it to my 220-110v transformer that is meant for my AVR and checked it out without any sound:lol:.

Well, IMO the only reason one would go in for the HD20 is the sub 1000 dollar pricing. The HD20 is an entry-level projector and at around 1600$ + little more, there are some very good projectors.

wow..
great.. so finally u have completed the setup
please tell the exact throw distance for the HD20 for a 120" screen, what is the distance between the ceiling and the projector,also how much did the ceiling mount cost + cost of installation.
Please share the pics also..
Also are u sure on the fan noise..in many reviews it was posted that HD20 has a quite loud fan noise, which would be audible during silent scenes.
Also can u share some pics of the black levels, similar to what projectorcentral has given..
also did u get in touch with tecktronixs for s 3rd party warranty support?

wow..
great.. so finally u have completed the setup
please tell the exact throw distance for the HD20 for a 120" screen, what is the distance between the ceiling and the projector,also how much did the ceiling mount cost + cost of installation.
Please share the pics also..

I think 15 feet should get you a full 120 inch projection without any zoom. Distance between ceiling and projector is atleast 4 inches in my case. I got the projector mount from a shop on S.P Road, Bangalore for Rs.1300. I did the install all by myself, so it was free(DIY is always fun, so priceless is the right word).

Also are u sure on the fan noise..in many reviews it was posted that HD20 has a quite loud fan noise, which would be audible during silent scenes.?

One thing about fan noise is that it is quite subjective. Some people are particular about the Home Theater Room being absolutely silent. Even I am like that to a great extent, but I could not hear anything. So, I am happy. I can hear the xStreamer but not the projector. Maybe it is the placement of my Projector (my ceiling is sound absorptive). Also, even if a device makes some noise, I have a way to tame them by using some Noise Absorbing Material like Anutone Board or Glass Wool Board around\near it. I have tried it with my laptop and this works for me.

Also can u share some pics of the black levels, similar to what projectorcentral has given..
also did u get in touch with tecktronixs for s 3rd party warranty support?
Give me some time, will complete setting it up such that I get a a full 120 inch screen. I haven't contacted Techtronix or anyone else yet. Can you please share some info about Techtronix. I know one Optoma dealer in Hyderabad called Ved IT Solutions from whom I got my Optoma Panoview screen. Might check with him later.

regarding tecktronixs i had a conversation with a Ms Deepa, regarding negotiating the price for HD20 without a lamp. She then explained to me that It is a company policy and the MRP price has been fixed. After repeated pings she let me talk to the national sales head, who told me that he would get in touch with the dealer to reduce the purchase price..
I would be calling tecktronix on monday to know the latest status..

I would suggest you can contact her and get the details of the technical manager/head to know more on the 3rd party warranty support.

nice price u got for the 120" screen. I too have a dedicated room in my basement and have painted the projection wall(cost me close to 8k). I used duco paints in mint white color.

I remain very much worried about the glasswool in the panel boards and ceiling though..mixing the electrical wires with it doesn't look to be a good idea.
Any thoughts..

-Jayad

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back