full range driver selection for DIY home system

sarathssca

Hello,

could you please help in selecting speaker drivers for home sound system (thinking of a stereo as of now) to be used with LCD tv for movies and playing mp3 songs from laptop/mobile?
After going through the forums I am thinking to go for a pair full range speaker drivers (thinking- simple to build, no crossover, less drivers so cost effective and so for same money may look for better quality ones, supposed to be sounding better than speakers with crossover).
Initially thought to go for Fostex Fe126en, as it has high efficiency 93db so small low power amplifier would be sufficient, and box designs available from the company itself and some other sites like frugal-horns, and it comes at about $58 per driver. But after reading more on the forums got confused, as some say its having nasty spikes on mid-high frequencies and not pleasant to hear.
Please help me in selecting a good speaker driver :
- how about Fe126en - $58 - 15w - 93db sensitivity
- how about mark audio alpair 7 - $85 - 20w - 85db sensitivity, but spec wise its looking similar to mark audio's CHR-70A 4inch -20w - 85db sensitivity or CHN70 4inch - 18w - 86db sensitivity but only costs $30 to $36. What is the difference with them with similar specs and big price difference
- how about fostex 6 inch Fe166en - $85 - 22w RMS- 94db sensitivity but seeing mixed responses on the forums
- how about dayton rs100 30w rms - 84db sensitivity and costs under $30.
- any other good drivers in this price range

1. Looking at few branded speaker home theater sets (like JBL) the frequency response was given about 40-20KHz (not sure how much minus (-)Db ). Can we get a similar frequency range from a single full range drivers in recommended enclosures or do we need to go for (FAST) getting good smaller full ranger (3inch or so) to cover mid bass, mids and highs and get a single sub-woofer for lower bass (using bi amp , no passive crossover)?

2. can the full range speakers be used directly with a amp or do we need to add any passive circuits for correcting its frequency response?

3. regarding music, i will be listening the mp3 songs only. Will they good with full rangers , as i have heard full ranges are very reveling and may not sound good if the source is not very good?

thanks and regards
S Sarath

Also one of the FMs in Chennai has built a Frugal Horn DIY speakers (I do not remember the name but you can search in the DIY section) using the MA Alpair 7's that you were interested in. I have the same speakers with the MA CHR-70A drivers. The only difference is that the Alpair 7 are new drivers compared to CHR or CHN. Also there are color version within Alpairs 7 and CHR/CHN series like the champaign gold, silver etc., Do listen to them and then take a informed decision.

Hi Sarath, are you the same person who runs or related to Audire-Coimbatore founder Dr.Chandran? Just to know.
Thank you,
Cheers,
sunder.

Hi Sarath, are you the same person who runs or related to Audire-Coimbatore founder Dr.Chandran? Just to know.
Thank you,
Cheers,
sunder.

Hi Sunder,
I am not related to any audio company.. just a novice in this field trying to build a speaker system for home ...

thanks and regards
S Sarath

Also one of the FMs in Chennai has built a Frugal Horn DIY speakers (I do not remember the name but you can search in the DIY section) using the MA Alpair 7's that you were interested in. I have the same speakers with the MA CHR-70A drivers. The only difference is that the Alpair 7 are new drivers compared to CHR or CHN. Also there are color version within Alpairs 7 and CHR/CHN series like the champaign gold, silver etc., Do listen to them and then take a informed decision.

Hi Manniraj,

Thanks for the info.. i am also from Chennai..
looking at the specs there is not much difference between those CHRs and Alpair 7.. but cost of Alpair 7 is much more than double the amount of those CHR/CHNs..

thanks and regards
S Sarath

Contact FM badrisuper.

I built that FH3 with Alpair 7 for him and I am using FH3 with FE126EN.

Hi Manniraj,

Thanks for the info.. i am also from Chennai..
looking at the specs there is not much difference between those CHRs and Alpair 7.. but cost of Alpair 7 is much more than double the amount of those CHR/CHNs..

thanks and regards
S Sarath

Do not look only at the specs as the CHR/CHN series are old generation I think and also make might be inferior when compared to Alpair series. That's what I can infer looking at online review/comments. I am using the CHR 70A and very happy with the sound in the Frugal Horn build.

What's your budget for the drivers? Bookshelf or Floorstanders? Which amp are you going to use?

Hi bibin3210,
How is fe126en when compared to alpair 7 in those cabinets?
Does these drivers need BSC circuits to make smooth frequency response? does fe126en has problems in mid-high frequency with unpleasant spikes as given by some people?

Initially thought of fe126en with good budget of $58 per driver, but thinking of those spikes, and some say it needs a BSC also..
Next looking alpair 7 seems to be popular but more costly at about $85 dollars per driver and is of same price of fe166en (seems they need a helper tweeter also)...

Hi Keith,
currenlty thinking of not so big floorstanders for the wall mount lcd tv...
and regarding amp thinking of diy based on TPA3116 or LM3886 or one of tirpath (TA2020)...

Also can these drivers be used without a sub-woofer ?
If a subwoofer is a must for any of these full ranges then do we need to look at the option of smaller full ranges which will have lesser bass to start with and use a sub-woofer to get the lower frequencies?
And go for bi-amp with active crossover...

Also can these drivers be used without a sub-woofer ?
If a subwoofer is a must for any of these full ranges then do we need to look at the option of smaller full ranges which will have lesser bass to start with and use a sub-woofer to get the lower frequencies?
And go for bi-amp with active crossover...
Reproduction of the bottom and top extremes of the audible frequencies are ragged and rolled off with most FR drivers. You can augment the bottom with well designed cabinets, BSC, adding a sub, etc. For the top, depending on the frequency response, you may have no option except to add a tweeter and with that comes a x-over with it's complexities. So, what I suggest is that you look for a FR driver that is reasonably smooth at the top so that you don't need a tweeter/super tweeter. In the diyaudio post that I pointed you too, there are many that meet this criteria.

Yes, you might need a sub for movies - keep expectations modest and you MAY not need one. For most music, I don't think you will need a sub.

Last edited:
Again-you need to be aware that ALL FRs are not the same. Some are bigger some are smaller(Fostex 167 Vs 208) , some enclosures perform better than others( BLH Vs MLTL), my suggestion is that you read up and learn a little more about these on the web so that you are better able to weigh the pros and cons-how is the low end, whether people generally use sub woofers-I for one couldnt manage without a sub when I built an MLTL (Bob Brines design) with a Fostex 167. See if you can audition some in your city to get a flavour.

Good luck in your endeavours.

OK, so here are my thoughts FWIW:
If I were to look towards building speakers using inexpensive [& small] FR drivers, in a room which does not need much SPL, which will work well with most types of music without a subwoofer AND from which I have reasonably modest expectations, I would look at these drivers in a TABAQ TL enclosure: Vifa TC9FD-18-08 OR Vifa TG9FD-10-04

For a step up to the above mentioned drivers, I would look at: Tang Band W4-1320SIF, Tang Band W5-1611SAF and the CHR-70 [3rd Gen.] - again in a TABAQ.

Last edited:
Next looking alpair 7 seems to be popular but more costly at about $85 dollars per driver and is of same price of fe166en (seems they need a helper tweeter also)
I've had the opportunity to listen to Badrisuper's Frugal Horns and they had very good high frequency response.

Hi bibin3210,
How is fe126en when compared to alpair 7 in those cabinets?
Does these drivers need BSC circuits to make smooth frequency response? does fe126en has problems in mid-high frequency with unpleasant spikes as given by some people?

Initially thought of fe126en with good budget of $58 per driver, but thinking of those spikes, and some say it needs a BSC also..
Next looking alpair 7 seems to be popular but more costly at about $85 dollars per driver and is of same price of fe166en (seems they need a helper tweeter also)...

Hi Keith,
currenlty thinking of not so big floorstanders for the wall mount lcd tv...
and regarding amp thinking of diy based on TPA3116 or LM3886 or one of tirpath (TA2020)...

Hi Sarath,

Both FE126EN and Alpair 7 matches very well with FH3. FE126EN is a bit weak at the low ends, but over all both drivers produce decent bass in FH3. I didn't came across any issue with Mid-High freq. region. In-fact FE12en really shines in the mid region when compared to Alpair7.

Overall Alpair 7 sounds good in FH3 and I recommend you to go ahead with Alpair7.

Unless you require heavy Bass there is no need for a Sub. There is another version of FH available, FHxL using Alpair 10.

Thanks,
Bibin

Hi Sarath,

Both FE126EN and Alpair 7 matches very well with FH3. FE126EN is a bit weak at the low ends, but over all both drivers produce decent bass in FH3. I didn't came across any issue with Mid-High freq. region. In-fact FE12en really shines in the mid region when compared to Alpair7.

Overall Alpair 7 sounds good in FH3 and I recommend you to go ahead with Alpair7.

Unless you require heavy Bass there is no need for a Sub. There is another version of FH available, FHxL using Alpair 10.

Thanks,
Bibin

Hi Bibin,

How about the sensitivity/efficiency of the speakers, the fostex ones Fe126en or Fe166en are of around 93-94db where as the mark audio ones like alpair7 are around 85db only... How important is that and how does it impacts/effects the sound volume and quality?

Any idea of fe166en compared with alpair 7 (both are of same cost around $85, and fe126en is only about $58)?

And for cabinet build what tools do we need?

thanks and regards
S Sarath

Hello ,

Finally I have ordered a pair of alpair 7p... Not very sure if its the better option .. Gone by the good reviews of the metal version 7.3 and expecting the paper version would be equally good too and it's having better sensitivity ... Thought it would be enough for 15x9 sq feet room , but not sure its true till I build the complete system - cabinet and amplifier ... Also it's my first such diy build ...

Thanks for the inputs and suggestions
Regards
S Sarath

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back