Futuristic question

parambir

The setup. Yamaha Rx-V671 receiver. Minix neo U1 streamer.
Question - the receiver is not capable of passthrough for 4K but minix can play 4K. Tomorrow when I buy 4K TV will I have to rewire hdmi connection such that hdmi out from minix goes to tv and from tv another hdmi goes to receiver? Assuming tv will have 2 hdmi which they normally do. But is there something like audio passthrough I have to look in tv so that it drops 4K video and passes multi channel audio to receiver?

If the above is true what is that feature I should be specifically looking for? If what I said is technically not possible suggest the bank I need to loot to replace the receiver :sad:

You can make connections like below:

MiniX >>>> HDMI out (Video) >>>> 4K TV
MiniX >>>> Optical/SPDIF Out (Audio) >>>> AVR

If your TV would supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) then you can connect MiniX to TV and then TV to AVR on HDMI.

You can make connections like below:

MiniX >>>> HDMI out (Video) >>>> 4K TV
MiniX >>>> Optical/SPDIF Out (Audio) >>>> AVR

If your TV would supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) then you can connect MiniX to TV and then TV to AVR on HDMI.

The reason I changed my receiver was because the previous receiver also a yamaha did not have hdmi. Only optical. And there is some type of multi channel audio not supported by optical. Don't remember exactly which type. Isn't ARC a standard feature in most of today's tv. How do I know mine supports?

Yes as suggested by guddu 478,that is the option. But some TV based on models can bitstream all PCM,dolby & DTS or PCM only.In that case you may be missing DTS HDMA /True HD codec real effects.
Or you can do that only when playing 4k content.

Rightly said, DTS master Audio, Dolby TrueHD, etc.. cannot be sent over optical out, it would require HDMI out to AVR if source is capable of sending it.

Have you recently changed your AVR to RX-V671? I think it is discontinued model, 4K passthrough or upscalling should have been considered.

As far as I can tell, most TVs only provide optical out for Audio Pass through and not HDMI. So if you are particular about 7.1 channels and HD audio, the optimal route is to upgrade to an AVR that supports 4K pass through.

Hi

You can try by placing an ad in For Sale by owner with details, then you will only know if you are getting back what you are expecting....

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back