Gainclone or budget amp for el-cheapo speakers?

mvajpai

Hi everyone,

After lurking around for years I decided to join the forums. I have been into headphones for years and have a collections of several headphones and headamps. However, because of the constant peskiness of the wife (who doesn't like leaving me alone and isolated with my headphones on), I have to purchase a cheap pair of speakers and amp.

I am currently eyeing CA SX-50 with a cheap amp. Having seen several budget Indian amps (haven't auditioned one), I was wondering if I should go for something like a norge 2030, or buy a gainclone amp(like TDA7492/TPA3116/LM3886), or build one myself.

I just wanted some input as to where these class D chipamps stand with respect to locally sourced amps. I don't think there a point in wasting time if there are already good enough amps available for cheap. Any input on alternative speakers will be much appreciated as well.

Regards,
Manu Vajpai

PS: Input will from Xonar Essance STX lineout or FIIO X1 lineout.

What's your budget?

Go for powered speakers, they compete well with separates till a certain point. The best I've heard lately are the JBL LSR305. Swans M200 MkIII and Swans M200MKII will also be extremely good choices depending on the budget. Lastly AudioEngine A5.

I'd say the cheapest bet is a tpa3116 or something that takes 19v and a laptop adapter. Even cheaper if you don't want an enclosure and are okay with throwing the board in a cardboard box

First of all chipamp and class d both are different. Chipamp operates in class a/b.
For your 87db BS, 10wpc amp should be enough.
For quality, I always prefer class a. However, you can check other topologies as well.
There are thousands of cheap DIY amps available in ebay. There are some assembled kit available on eBay, diyaydiocart, eight audio etc.

Thanks for your inputs everyone. Apologies for not mentioning my budget. It is within 20K for the amp and speakers.

I did look at Swans and other active speakers but checked around and realized that they are running TDA/TPA chipamps as well. Having had some electronics and diy experience I'd rather build an amp which I am familiar with, and which will be fun to build as well.

Greenhorn: I think I'll go all-out and build it right from scratch (including PCB etching) so something like a LM1875 looks more lucrative. I have no problems with putting them in a ABS/Cardboard box.

Saikat: I was wondering how much power will be needed for these speakers so thanks for the advice. I'll look at some amp design info and circuit topologies for Class A.

How does, lets say an LM1875 based dual-mono class-D biased amp, sound in comparison to a budget norge or NAD amp? Also, several forum posts on the topic mention that chipamps prefer fullrange speakers instead of 2-way configurations. Is that really the case or some more "audiophile" mumbo jumbo?

Thank you all again for your advice and suggestions.

Hi Manoj

I built a gainclone using a low cost enclosure-under Rs 500, these are easily available off the shelf and a cheap FM tuner unit with remote is a neat accessory for only Rs 100. Far better than no enclosure. Sound? Nothing to write home about-mine was a premium kit from chipamp.com. It cost a me around 10K. The Hiraga sounds better costs twice as much.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back