Gallery -Lyrita like Full Range TQWT with Fostex Fostex FE 167

anm

To my eye, some of them seem ridiculously close to Lyrita's speakers. Maybe there are some subtle, or not so subtle differences on engineering front.
Anyone interested in DIY route may find these designs helpful - though I am not sure how are they copyrighted, if they are at all, and if against DIY.

regards

Edit - here is the link http://www.quarter-wave.com/Gallery/Gallery.html

Last edited:
To my eye, some of them seem ridiculously close to Lyrita's speakers. Maybe there are some subtle, or not so subtle differences on engineering front.
Anyone interested in DIY route may find these designs helpful - though I am not sure how are they copyrighted, if they are at all, and if against DIY.

regards

Any pics/links?

On madisound, the drivers are listed for $70 each. So they should cost ~$150 or Rs7500 if someone gets them for you. Fostex FE167E 6" Full Range Shielded from Madisound

With customs and shipping, they should cost around $260 - ~13k INR.
Since they are full range, there is no fuss of crossover, and the cabinet should be simple to make, given the designs shared on net. We already have heard so many good things about such full range speakers.

Anyone game to build them? I would still prefer Suri's speakers though. Those are damn lovely. Suri, in your TL design, can we fix a full range and let go of the crossover?

regards

To my eye, some of them seem ridiculously close to Lyrita's speakers. Maybe there are some subtle, or not so subtle differences on engineering front. [/url]

When you use a single driver such as Fostex or Feastrex, the driver manufacturer privides detailed instructions on the cabinet manufacture. Consequently, if you follow the instructions, yours speaker will look the same as the one made by another who uses the same design.

Cheers

Last edited:
Does that mean anyone "designing" these speakers is not actually "designing" them but assembling according to design provided by driver manufacturer?
That's great - so the design is not a copyrighted one and DIYers can use it freely I hope.

regards

When you use a single driver such as Fostex or Feastrex, the driver manufacturer privides detailed instructions on the cabinet manufacture. Cosequently, if you follow the instructions, yours speaker will look the same as the one made by another who uses the same design.

Cheers

Does that mean anyone "designing" these speakers is not actually "designing" them but assembling according to design provided by driver manufacturer? That's great - so the design is not a copyrighted one and DIYers can use it freely I hope.

I suppose each individual can make some changes to suit his ear. But the basic design in terms of volume, bracing, crossover, etc., have to be adhered to. I suppose one can also change the material used.

In terms of basic design I am sure the manufacturer will have some ownership issues. After all the basic design is his. But he is more interested in selling his drivers, and that is the reason he is supplying detailed construction information. I am not sure whether one can take the basic design give by Fostex for cabinet manufacture and copyright it. It certainly cannot be done without their consent.

In any case, unless a person claims copyright with specific registration number with a government authority, there is no legality in these claims. I am not even venturing into moral grounds here.

Cheers

Last edited:
do you mean lyrita system is good only for secondary/ bedroom system? Your other post "evening with valves" inspired me to search this out and build something similar :confused:

do you mean lyrita system is good only for secondary/ bedroom system?...

Not at all. I apologize I should've made myself clear. I meant this would be a good secondary option for someone who already has an extensive primary sound system because you can put up a system for not too much of money without worrying about crossovers and get the package in a smallish form factor. This in no way would mean that the quality of the speaker would be fit only for a secondary system. :) Actually, I am thinking of something similar to this for myself and trust me this would be the ONLY system I'll be having for a while. Hope this clears things up. Also, I would sincerely request you to audition a set before you decide on a pair so that you're convinced. Just to clarify things a bit more, the speakers that I've commented on in the other thread was not from Lyrita, but a DIY pair consisting of a pro-audio Altec woofer and a custom tractrix horn...

...so what speakers are you considering?

I am currently thinking of a DIY or finished Fostex based speakers for not a lot of money till I'm ready to get a full-range OB system. Nothing is set on stone at this point really...

hello,

I am getting a pair of Philips full range drivers 8", 8 ohm, frquency 50 to 18000. other parameters not available. in fact that is the only option I have. getting it for Rs 500/- per pair at Pune. god knows about quality but going by Philips name, I hope they are descent if not very good.

if these speakers sound better than my present 2 ways(NX audio), i will later go for costlier drivers.

in a smallish form factor.

hi grubyhalo,

methinks the single drivers require a largish enclosure to help augment the bass. dont think you'd get a small standmount speaker. if you look on the net you'll see that most single drivers have biggish enclosures, not exactly bedroom friendly :)

regards

hi grubyhalo,

methinks the single drivers require a largish enclosure to help augment the bass. dont think you'd get a small standmount speaker. if you look on the net you'll see that most single drivers have biggish enclosures, not exactly bedroom friendly :)

regards

:D Yeah, I kind of realized most of the full-rangers are usually mounted on huge cabs, but this one is quite compact though a floor-stander. I'd think of them as mini-monitors on a fat stand ;) I did run across this particular model which seems to be impressive though puny (by full-range standards). What speakers do you have?

ok then your idea of small therefore suitable for bedroom is very different from mine! me was thinking more along lines of micro systems small that you can plonk anywhere. :D

hi grubyhalo,

there's a recent post under phonoturntables section in the lyrita audio tube phono stage thread.

regards

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back