My Adventures with Fostex Full Range / Metronome

Hari Iyer

Afterr experiencing full 1.5 months of full range sound with the Metronome i had the following apprehensions,

1. If the full-range is allowed to do more low frequency duty thenit adds to the mid-range colouration. This i believe is due to increased cone movement that is required for the low frequency reproduction. This imo adds coloration to the overall mid-range presentation.

2. Also in this particular fostex driver above 5KHz to 6KHz the mid-high and high freq is produced more by the Whizzer cone. This whizzer is integrated as part of the main cone by applying some kind of glue near the voice coil. The movement of the whizzer happens along with the main cone again causing sever col0ration and harshness to the mid-highs and highs. This cause the overall sound stage to be not very smooth than required.

I tried compensating the whizzer cone movement by adding some damping material behind the whizzer cone and main cone but that also damps the main cone movement reducing the low end extension.

To reduce the cone break-up a bit at the mid-highs i tried doping the cone with some light 'Multani Mitti' coat (fuller's earth). This reduced the mid-highs quite a bit and reduced the harshness too. But this removed also the zing and energy from the music.

So what were the other practical options.

i) I considered removing the whizzer cone altogether and adding a diy phaseplug to remove the cavity resonance caused by the cavity left between the magent pole and the voice coil. Notputting the phase plug causes the driver to whizzle a lot beyond tolerance.

ii) Remove the fostex from low frequency duty and add a sub-woofer for low-end support. This modificiation will cause lesser movement of the main cone as they do not have to move a lot for low frequency reproduction. I did not want to introduce any passive cross-over component on the mid-range driver and hence decided to do this by over-damping the enclosure. The
overdamped enclsoure now made the Metronome to behave more like a Aperiodic enclosure rather than a ML TL enclousre. This significantly tightened the mid-range making it crisp clearwith clean smooth sound stage. Also i removed my compensation network as i wanted the Fostex to roll-off
natrually.

I have measured last week the Fostex with the phase plug and no whizzer and the roll-off happens smoothly around 7KHz onwards. There are some phase changes at around 8.5KHz and 12KHz looking at the minimum phase graphs and this i need to re-validate.

Now there is a huge gap in the top-end from 7KHz till 20KHz which needs to be addressed. I thought of many options of using a tweeter - dome, ribbion and finally settled with the Ahuja Piezo tweeter. This tweeter works exceptionally well beyond 4KHz onwards and integrates magnificently well with the fostex if implemented correctly. I will be using this piezo tweeter from 4KHz and beyond and will integrate it with the Fostex full ranger. Currently they are under test and listen mode.

To address the low-end, I borrowed my elder brothers passive TL sub which i had build almost 10 years ago for use in his HT setup. This rescued the day for me as the Fostex has now been rolled off at around 150Hz to 200Hz and it definetly needed a low end support from other source.

Adding stuffing to the Metronome caused the phase curve to intersect at zero degrees for the driver, system and the terminus. This allowed me to operate the subwoofer at 0 deg mode.

Now i am fully convinced about the beauty of the cross-over less full-range speaker with the low-end been handled by a active TL sub. There is no cross-over for the Fostex and the piezo tweeter just has a parallel resistor for level matching with the Fostex with no passive components.

So how does the above translate to subjective listening. I would just add one line - the most satisfying experience ever had in my entire life.

I also now realize what our FM Sumanta always felt, i quote him during his conversations with me. He says - its immaterial of what 'Brand' of driver you buy, its important how you implement them in the final outcome.

As for me - only using the Fostex and live with its laurels did not appeal me. I took the risky approach of almost destroying the driver with my adventures which gave me a couple of sleepless nights and some nightmares too. After systematic approach of the issues and trying to solve the issue by practical and more economical means was the solution. The solution need not be very expensive or complex but rather mere common-sense at the end of the day.

I am sure the Fostex can easily be replaced by other stock drivers like Queena or Boston Acoustics which are available att 1/50th the cost, but that is for an another day at work.

Thanks for looking.

Hari, this is exactly what Rethm does. If you use a Lowther DX 55, there will be no need for a super tweeter

Last edited:
Tried EnABL yet?

EnABL process suggested by Dave of planet10-hi-fi requires experience and working knowledge of what you are doing and these process are non-reversible. If it succeeds you are lucky else you have to sacrifice the fostex completely.

I did experiment with the 'Multani Mitti' coating which can be reversed as they are easily soluble in water. This thin layer coating of around 0.5gms to the entire cone did allow the cone break-up to tame a bit. But again you require many more measurements and listening to exactly confirm this.

I am planning to install the Piezo this weekend and integrate them with the Fostex if time permits. After that only measurements will confirm if the SPL is balanced, Step response is accurate and the minimum phase does not show any resonance at the high frequency.

I believe Fostex would be far better than Boston.

Agreed Fostex will be better than Boston, but its 10 times more expensive too. I can get a pair of Boston driver for around 1200 bucks where the Fostex counterpart cost me around 18K :D

Hari, this is exactly what Rethm does. If you use a Lowther DX 55, there will be no need for a super tweeter

Thanks for the input Prem. Looking at the current setup, I should have bought the Fostex FE104 or FE126 drivers which is similar in size to the DX55. This would have also saved me some real estate space at my home with a very good WAF too.

Anyways, i still am looking for a good subwoofer driver for integarating the current combination of Fostex + Ahuja in a good TL sub. I have shortlisted two drivers - one JVC 6" woofer and another Peerless India 8" subwoofer. The only crux is that the Peerless is a PP cone and i am looking for a Paper cone. I am looking for a economy solution and nothing fancy here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know that many are already sailing similar boat and nothing different about what i have done.

I would have loved to use a 12" or 15" open baffle for the low end duty, but unfortunately it will require more real estate which is not cheap here.

Anyways, i still am looking for a good subwoofer driver for integarating the current combination of Fostex + Ahuja in a good TL sub. I have shortlisted two drivers - one JVC 6" woofer and another Peerless India 8" subwoofer. The only crux is that the Peerless is a PP cone and i am looking for a Paper cone.

Will they be able to match high SPL of Fostex? I doubt. I think yogi's used drivers are your best bet. Or else, you can try my Ripoles as they take very less space to stand (laterally I mean). Mine is of 15" drivers.
Once you are happy, you can make 12" one. You should chose low X max higher cone size as Fostex is real fast, you need a fast driver for low frequencies as well.

I don't know how TL sub speed is. You can try the one you made already.

I will make time to visit your place. It has been long. Have you returned from B'luru? I am busy as well with office, daughter's study and photography trips, so, sorry could not meet you and went to Prem's place. It is a long pending one now. I haven't heard my OBs too recently.:sad:

Thanks Sumanta. You are welcome for a listen after my project is completed. Now everything is hanging including the piezo. It may take one to two month to complete them imo.

A largish 12" woofer is out of question chiefly because of space constraints & WAF. I have with me a pair of 10" Bolton subwoofer lying with me since past 20 years and dare not remove them from the closet due to obvious reasons.:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

After 2 more weeks of listen & measurement, i have decided not to use the subwoofer and the piezo tweeter.

I removed some stuffing to half and have now critically damped the enclosure. This now gives me reasonable low end without the risk of higher xmax of the FR driver.

I have now added a Peerless 1" tweeter instead for doing the high-end duty. As the minimum phase of the fostex was showing a predictable resonance above 7KHz, i have used a first order filter for the fostex two. Not the Metronome behaves like a 2 way system crossed at around 1.8KHz.

I mesured a delay of around 0.004ms in the Impulse response due to the driver offset between the fostex and the peerless. I then tried correcting it by adding a RC time constant across the speaker terminal to this exact delay and wow, the time delay now is zero in the IR window. Time delay would otherwise ruin a perfect phase coherent speaker design.

I measured the FR, step and impulse response. The step response do not indicate a pure square wave though and also the blend between the lows and the highs have a minor error, but again i cant notice them subjectively.

There is a significant notch at around 5.7KHz in the near field measurement in the Frequency domain and this moves to 6.5KHz @ 1 meter. Not able to figure out from where this is coming. Again cant make out in subjective listening.

Thanks for looking.

sir, which peerless tweeter are you using?

Due to the high XO point, i was considering using an AMT tweeter to supplement my hiq speakers. the AMT's can go well into the 40Khz range (though I'm not confident about my own ears)

sir, which peerless tweeter are you using?

Due to the high XO point, i was considering using an AMT tweeter to supplement my hiq speakers. the AMT's can go well into the 40Khz range (though I'm not confident about my own ears)

Wow, i am amazed to know how we both think similar. I ordered yesterday the Audiopur AMT40.1 tweeter which is on its way and should reach by this weekend.

The peerless T25AN tweeter has a metallic sound signature which has a rising step in its response which becomes difficult to integrate with the Fostex. In comparison the AMT on paper shows a much balanced FR response above 4KHz.

I will be measuring my Fostex and the AMT once again to check at which frequency they can be integrated seamlessly. When connected directly the Fostex rolls-off around 10KHz. The AMT has a linear response from 5KHz @ 87dB SPL. At 3.5KHz the publishe FR curve indicates 80dB SPL. Hence to cross over somewhere around 4.5KHz should be okay to check it out. I may have to use a crossover for the Fostex too to make it roll-off around 4.5KHz.

This time around, i will be using a different approach to the design. Not do too much simulation, but rely on the measurements made and integrate them in frequency and time domain.

Will update in this post. Thanks for looking.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back