Garrard 401 Slate Plinth Build

Record Player

Over the next few weeks I intend to build a Slate Plinth for me Garrard 401. I've read and also a few friends from the UK swear that Slate is just perfect for a plinth (no ringing).

I intend to have this built as a master plinth. Two arms, one a 9" and the other a 12". Custom made Brass Feet for the plinth. I've got Italian Slate. Dimensions: 23"/19"

The key here will be precision cutting, especially for the arm pods. I hope to find the right person to do this job.

Wish me luck :)

More updates to follow...

Last edited:
Wow!
Are going to make arms too? How will you connect platter and body on the plinth?
Will be glued to this thread now.

All the best RP! Look forward to a listening session after this project of yours gets completed :thumbsup:

Wow!
Are going to make arms too? How will you connect platter and body on the plinth?
Will be glued to this thread now.

Well, a change in plans. Just going to have one arm which is the 12" arm. A good friend suggested this and we rather have all energies focused on this setup.

2 arms aesthetically may look good but practically does not make much sense.

The plinth needs a single cut for the motor to sit it and that would be it as I just need 4 screw holes for the 12"arm to be mounted and I will be all set. I don't see this taking very long.

Slate plinth RP? OMG!! I've experimented with the slate plinth, slate and wood combine, granite and even a concrete plinth with an old Garrard SP25 MK2 turntable. This is before I approached Mr. Kuruvila to build my 401's plywood plinth. The results were not that great. There was definitely ringing on the slate, granite and concrete plinths. Maybe I did not build them well enough. Saw this a bit late or I could have sent you the slate top. I had it cut for the 401. I threw these away before I left. Our neighbor included my concrete plinth in their foundation (house construction) as I had it built with steel reinforcement.

On another note, I'd be very interested to read your report on the 401 vs the 1200 as your reports are very direct and to the point. The usual flavor on the internet is that these are 2 distinctly different turntables with 2 very different sound signatures. I view this more or less like an excuse when one spends so much on these idlers only to find out what they had previously sounded just as good, if not better :). However my view is we all have only one basic listening taste (which we like to accommodate all genres of music, within), the way we like to hear our music, and its not really a good idea to switch our likes around, just to accommodate different varieties of turntables :)

Last edited:
Wow!
How will you connect platter and body on the plinth?

Garrard 301 and 401 top plates must be bolted to the plinth. Due care must be exercised while unscrewing the bolts from the top plate (screws may be stuck due to rust). Getting replacement threads locally is near-impossible as the originals have imperial threads (6.xx mm, but not matching any metric thread), though a well stocked machinist can easily cut a new screw if he has the correct die.

RP: do you plan on making generic arm board, or simply mount your current arm only? I know making a generic arm board takes more planning but can be useful in the long run should you choose to swap arms.

Slate plinth RP? OMG!! I've experimented with the slate plinth, slate and wood combine, granite and even a concrete plinth with an old Garrard SP25 MK2 turntable. This is before I approached Mr. Kuruvila to build my 401's plywood plinth. The results were not that great. There was definitely ringing on the slate, granite and concrete plinths. Maybe I did not build them well enough. Saw this a bit late or I could have sent you the slate top. I had it cut for the 401. I threw these away before I left. Our neighbor included my concrete plinth in their foundation (house construction) as I had it built with steel reinforcement.

On another note, I'd be very interested to read your report on the 401 vs the 1200 as your reports are very direct and to the point. The usual flavor on the internet is that these are 2 distinctly different turntables with 2 very different sound signatures. I view this more or less like an excuse when one spends so much on these idlers only to find out what they had previously sounded just as good, if not better :). However my view is we all have only one basic listening taste (which we like to accommodate all genres of music, within), the way we like to hear our music, and its not really a good idea to switch our likes around, just to accommodate different varieties of turntables :)

Interesting. There are many theories supporting the slate plinth. Many swear these are the best plinths they have ever heard. Well, I recently got Italian Slate from a friend and thought of building one and experimenting.

I will jot down my impressions and my personal verdict on the 401 v/s the 1200. I know you are just as eager as me and this will be up shortly.

RP: do you plan on making generic arm board, or simply mount your current arm only? I know making a generic arm board takes more planning but can be useful in the long run should you choose to swap arms.

Well, I intend to get a generic arm board done. Its gonna be tricky but worth the hassle I guess for future changes arm changes etc.

There are some water jet cutting places around Peenya (found via
google). I think it would be best if you got it done with that.

I have made a slate plinth. It.s very challenging especially the cutting. I felt the result was very disappointing as it sounded dull and lifeless. I do not want to try another slate build but I am making a plinth with soft plywood and using the Loricraft method.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back