Garrard 6-400 - Restoration?

On another note, we got our Garrard RC210 motor to work yesterday evening. What a break through that was. The amazing story of this TT is on its way, so watch the phono space for more.

Thank you folks for your inputs. So I guess both the Garrard and the Denon are off the table.

I was looking at the Nova Audio web site and looks like I will have to cough up atleast 23K - 24K for a project TT.

Kuruvila sir, I was kindda looking at more like a 10K budget. But if you guys think that this will not get me anything decent then i do not mind putting this on hold for some time.

Hiten, thanks. I have seen that thread of yours. I guess I am going to scrap this restoration for the time being.

Any more suggestions on alternatives in the aforementioned budget will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Nitin

Actually Nitin, IMO, you should not shelve the plans yet. Go with the Garrard if you can restore it. It will buy you some time, before you can indulge in the next upgrade. Meanwhile, you'll be able to experience the format to the fullest. Garrards usually command a decent re-sale value (if in good condition) as many enthusiasts actually maintain 7 inch records and 78rpm record collections. The older ones may not be audiophile but they can sing for you and do it consistantly for a couple of life-times :)

Nitin,
You could get a fairly good Japanese belt drive player for sub Rs.10 K. If you can sell the garrard and put in some more money, you could have a player with a MM cart. Just a suggestion

Thanks kuruvila sir. I do not wish to sell the Garrard since it has sentimental value attached to it and besides I will have to ask my father to carry it for me from Kolkata to Mumbai.

I am ok with putting in 10K - 11K for a TT. Is it possible to source one in Mumbai?

Thanks
Nitin

Sorry Nitin, I did not know that your father gave it to you. If you can get hold of a Philips Stereo Valve Radio, you can use the pick up to listen to the Garrard with ceramic cart. I do not know where you can source for a TT in Mumbai.

Hi Folks,

Apologies for not being able to post for a few days. A big THANK YOU to all for the valuable suggestions. Unfort. due to some personal reasons this acquisition has been put on hold. I will certainly come back and revive this as soon as I have more clarity.

Again, many thanks for your time kind people.

Thanks
Nitin

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back