Ghazal Corner

i like to listen to ghazals following are some of my favourite singers

1. Mehandi hassan (legend by venus tapes listen to this superb album)
2. jagjeet chitra ( beyond time,marasim,mirage,the unforgetables)
3. ahmed hussain mohammad hussain (guldasta )
4. hariharan
5. gulam ali

sushil_pareek31

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sushil,
Great to have you around. Even I spend a lot of time listening to ghazals.

In addition to the singers listed by you, I am also fond of Begum Akhtar, Iqbal Bano, Habib Wali Mohammad, etc.

Among the new ones, I like Shumona Roy Biswas. Her album with Daag ghazals is great.

Try out Mehdi Hasan's initial albums with ghazals like "Gulon mein rang bhare". He had a great voice, and they seem to have better recording engineers in Pakistan! Also try out his lecture recitals at the London School f music.

Regards,
Sharad

Nice to have another Ghazal fan , After a long day of work (!!!!!!!) in office , listening to Jagjeet or Chitra or Gulam Ali etc etc . is always very relaxing. Even though i dont understand the language i dont fell like switching the system off when i listen to Ghazal and karnatic Classical.

regards

Hi soundofmusic,

If you like Daman Sood's recordings for Jagjit singh, try the movie album for 'Leela'. This was probably the one of the last albums recorded by Mr Sood at the Western Outdoor studios before it closed down. It is also one of the best albums by Jagjit in the recent past.

You might enjoy Ghazals even more if you start following the language. Ghazal is a form of poetry, not a form of music. The fact that you can feel the relaxing refinement in these compositions and renditions, just reflects the overall sincerity in approach usually employed while dealing with this highly evolved form of poetry.

Ghazals are the only 'songs' where the lyrics are always written before the tune is composed. I would recommend referring to an Urdu -> English dictionary whenever you encounter a new word. Some old LP records provided the meanings for all the difficult words used in the album.

Regards,
Sharad Medhavi

Thanks Sharad for the information about Ghazals, thinking for a tution class on Hindi and Urdu LOL , I will also try the CDs what you people have suggested, Last night i heard INsearch beautiful album.
regards

My alltime fav and motivation:

JagjitSingh's Aye Khuda Ret ke sehra ko samundar kar de..

Other favs:

- Ghulam Ali's Chupke Chupke Raat din.

Recently heard: Mohit Chauhan's "Ghuncha koi mere naam kar diya"

hi,
i would recommend album ''Mirage'' by jagjeet singh and also listen to music of films ''Arth'' and ''saath Saath'' both composed by jagjeet singh.

sushil_pareek31

Last edited:
If you listening to all these gazals mentioned in various threads, on digital media ie. CD's they are very good,
But if you listen to some of them for which records/LP's were made, these are just amazing.
I made a lot of effort by giving news paper ads and going to old delhi and was able to make a decent collection of old records. Some of them are priceless. But the problem is that many of them are dirty and have groove noise specially if u are using low output MC catridges

Hope music companies and music lovers in India realise the sonic superiority of an analogue system and start manufacturing LP's again. But for this they need lots of analogue lovers and volumes to make it viable.

In europe and USA analogue is now coming back with force and sales of turntables and records are increasing year by year. They are able to remaster their old classical and jazz and pop recordings and pressing new LP's and some of them better than original LP's. But not all new LP's are better than older ones.
Can you believe an LP 30 or 40 years old, when recording techniques were not so good sound AMAZINGLY good and will beat a CD of same recording by huge margin.
Jagjit Chitra, Pankaj Udhas, Gulam Ali, Talat Mahmood, Jagmohan, Begum Akhtar, Pankaj mullick etc. are some of great LP recordings. Than there are LP's of some pakistani gazal singers.
SKR

I agree with SKR on this. If you are into ghazals big time, hunt for the LP versions. Chitra Singh and Mehdi Hasan sound heavenly on LP. I never got that voice from a CD.

By the way:
>>>also listen to music of films ''Arth'' and ''saath Saath'' both composed by jagjeet singh.

That is not correct. I think Kuldeep Singh composed for Saath Saath. Need to check the credits.

Thanks,
Sharad

You're spot on, composer is Kuldeep Singh. Lyricist is Javed Akhtar, has to be amongst his better 'filmi' output.

BTW Sharad there's so much similarity in your tastes and mine (at least when it comes to Ghazal), it's uncanny.

Will follow up on the Indira Verma suggestion.

BTW if any of you friends has Ghazal/ Hindustani Classical LPs to trade (maybe duplicate copies of the same title), please do get in touch. I have a few titles that may be of interest, including Ghulam Ali's very first LP, a EMI Pakistan release from 1968 or thereabouts.

But the problem is that many of them are dirty and have groove noise specially if u are using low output MC catridges

There used to be cleaning solutions earlier for the LP records.

IMO, you can use any camera cleaning liquid with a lint free cloth or tissue ( these are available as a set in camera stores ) to clean the records.

cheers!

Thanks for your suggestion for camera cleaning liquids.Which i will try.
I have special solution for cleaning records from Disc doctor and record cleaning machine.
but once the dirt gets accumulated deep into the record grooves over a period of time it is impossible to remove it. Very very fine particles of dust.
The MC catridge is very sensitive and picks up slightest groove dirt in form of distortion in sound.
No harm in trying Camera cleaning fluids
thanks and regards

If you listening to all these gazals mentioned in various threads, on digital media ie. CD's they are very good,
But if you listen to some of them for which records/LP's were made, these are just amazing.SKR

If you apperciate the golden old ghazals try "Rare James" by jagjit I love the "Apna gham bhool gaye"

I agree with SKR on this. If you are into ghazals big time, hunt for the LP versions. Chitra Singh and Mehdi Hasan sound heavenly on LP. I never got that voice from a CD.

By the way:
>>>also listen to music of films ''Arth'' and ''saath Saath'' both composed by jagjeet singh.

That is not correct. I think Kuldeep Singh composed for Saath Saath. Need to check the credits.

Thanks,
Sharad

thanks pointing out the mistake indeed it was kuldeep singh who composed the music for "saath saath". anyway it was a great album

Last edited:
i would also recommend " baat niklegi to phir door talak jayegi" soulfully sung by Jagjeet singh.

@sushil
second that !!

Has someone heard Ghalib by Abida?
IMHO Abida has done a lot more justice to Ghalib as compared to Jagjitji, "Dil hi to hain" never sounded so touching.

Hi,

I have been a big fan of Begum Abida Parveen over the years, but I did not like her recent Ghazal albums, including this one.
She is a very spontaneous singer who demonstrates excellent synergy with the other artists playing with her. These studio albums from Times Music make her feel too lifeless. The instrumentation is patched on later and is totally out of place.

If you are serious about Ghazals (which you must be if you are appreciating Abida), try Ghalib by Begum Akhatar. The more you listen to the album the more you would like it.

The other one that tries to emulate this charm is Ghalib by Sumona Roy Biswas. This one again comes from Times Music, but has a better instrumental support.
Both these albums are easily available.

Thanks,
Sharad

Back