Ghazal Corner

Aylast, the maestro succumbs to the inevitable. Lets make this evening a celebration of his work. All the radio stations are airing Jagjit. He's not gone, he lives through his masterpieces among our lives for ever.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jagjit Singh - was my first love in the gazal category (followed by pankaj uthaas..)! Always remembered!!! Just got a collection (unfortunately mp3 format) of his gazal's counting to apprx 8gb only today through my friend. Had misplaced couple of his CD's long back!! :(

Had been among the saddest week our generation lived through. First Steve and now Jagjitji.
RIP sir :(

For past so many years I was yearning to listen a live concert of Jagjit Singh and for last few years Jagjit Singh has been very active in live concerts. But the ticket price for the concerts had been a deterrent for me.
And than came the announcement for a concert with Jagjit Singh jointly shared by Ghulam Ali. It was going to be a lifetime experience for Ghazal lovers like me. I made my mind and attended the concert in New Delhi (the second part of the event was scheduled on the fateful day in Mumbai which could never happen).
And a really lifetime experience it was. How divine, soulful, deep and perfect his renditions were, it can not be explained, only be experienced. His live performance was as perfect and flawless as a studio recording. He was perfectionist in each and every aspect of his performance down the level of sound quality of each of his musicians.
It was and remain unforgettable for rest of my life.

really one of the saddest week of the year..Jagjit will remain in our lives through his 80+ albums..
do any one have a source to get his ghazals in loss less format?
I have his all albums but in mp3..

I have attended 4 Jagjit Singh concerts and each of them was a mesmerizing experience.
Jagjit Singh was the voice of romance and melancholy of many of the people of my generation.

I attended two live concerts of him. But let me tell you, I could not enjoy half as much as his live recordings if classic concerts like live at royal Albert hall, magical moments, etc. The reason must be the audience who liked the filmy bits more than his older ghazals.

As far as loss less formats are concerned, most of his old concerts are available on Audio CDs by SAREGAMA. I have already started collecting them since I had my jig going. But, the best way would be to have them recorded from old lps if possible. I have the same collections on tape as well which I truely treasure. His MP3s are no match to the originals
Some other albums are Life story which is a live concert and easily available in stores. So is Journey, the best collection with great recording, recommended to me by the guru Vencat of this forum as a good test material.

For past so many years I was yearning to listen a live concert of Jagjit Singh and for last few years Jagjit Singh has been very active in live concerts. But the ticket price for the concerts had been a deterrent for me.
And than came the announcement for a concert with Jagjit Singh jointly shared by Ghulam Ali. It was going to be a lifetime experience for Ghazal lovers like me. I made my mind and attended the concert in New Delhi (the second part of the event was scheduled on the fateful day in Mumbai which could never happen).
And a really lifetime experience it was. How divine, soulful, deep and perfect his renditions were, it can not be explained, only be experienced. His live performance was as perfect and flawless as a studio recording. He was perfectionist in each and every aspect of his performance down the level of sound quality of each of his musicians.
It was and remain unforgettable for rest of my life.

OK guys.., so any news about the video album release of the concert at new Delhi of the two greats?

I attended two live concerts of him. But let me tell you, I could not enjoy half as much as his live recordings if classic concerts like live at royal Albert hall, magical moments, etc. The reason must be the audience who liked the filmy bits more than his older ghazals.
Thats very true. People would want him to move to Hothon se choolo tum while he would almost never sing anything from Mirza Ghalib. I remember him singing some of those at Chandigarh once.

I watched "Kagaz Ki Kashti" yesterday on prime video, a biopic tribute to Jagjit Singh. A very well made documentary detailing glimpses into his life, music and reminiscences by his friends and fellow musicians. It does have some rare footage of earlier concerts and features interviews with Chitra Singh, Zakir Hussain, Ronu Majumdar, Gulzar, Daman Sood, Mahesh Bhatt, Subhash Ghai..... A must watch for all those who love his music.

Whoa...a great thread revived after 7 years.
Let the recommendation keep flowing.

This indeed is my all time favourite.
Meri tasveer mein rang aur kisi ka to nahi - lata Mangeshkar

Many thanks for starting the thread. I started to look beyond Jagjit after his sad demise and the thread is a god send with many pointers on good ghazal albums.

Only issue is that sourcing CDs has become a chore now a days. Can anyone point to the best sites to download high res Ghazals.

Edit: Didn't realise that the original thread was started ten years ago. I somehow missed it all these years. It's never late anyway

Many thanks for starting the thread. I started to look beyond Jagjit after his sad demise and the thread is a god send with many pointers on good ghazal albums.

Only issue is that sourcing CDs has become a chore now a days. Can anyone point to the best sites to download high res Ghazals.

Edit: Didn't realise that the original thread was started ten years ago. I somehow missed it all these years. It's never late anyway
You can download lossless wav files from saregama website. However your choices will be restricted to albums under their label.

Please share some good recording albums details.

Regards
Many of Jagjit Singh's albums are well mastered. Leela [OST], Marasim, Beyond Time, Face to Face, Koi Baat Chale, The Golden Collection, The unforgettables, Arth [OST], Kabir, Sajda, Saher, Samvedna etc.
Live recordings including Jagjit & Chitra live at Royal Albert Hall, live in concert at Wembley...
Ghalib by Abida Parveen is also well recorded
Look out for those mastered by Daman Sood, they sound absolutely beautiful

Last edited:
Asha and Ghulam Ali's Meraj-E-Ghazal vinyl album is good quality if I remember. sounded good in my system. As for ghazals these were my favourite long back .

Last year suddenly o got around 20 odd cassette from FM @yogibear - jagjit, Gulam Ali, Pankaj udhas, mehendi Hassan, etc etc. Now-a-days I listen to them almost daily. Thanks yogibear.

Back