Ghazal Corner

I have created a Playlist of only classical (and may be a few light classical) ghazals by Hariharan...
Please do suggest if you want to add some more to it.
Thanks
Since my college days I have been a fan of the kind of stuff, Music Today label produced.. The hindustani classical, semi classical and ghazals...
I guess I have already mentioned they had a art and music gallery at inner circle in Connaught Place Delhi and I used to go there very often...

In the late 90s and early 2000s they invited a lot of Pakistani ghazal singers...
One such series is the Gulistan series.. Which has mainly ghazals from some outstanding female singers from across the border and a few geets..

Here I have compiled a Playlist with all the Gulistan numbers...
Love these ghazals and the awesome quliaty of those recordings..

The artists are.

Farida Khanum
Iqbal Bano
Reshma
Tahira Syed (daughter of the legendary Malika Pukhraj) Tahira has a wonderful khanakdaar voice and she generally songs very light Geet and they are wonderful...

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is anyone whom I can listen after Ustad Mehdi Hassan as far as ghazal gayaki goes, it's just Hariharan... He has drunk the style of Mehdi Hassan and renders such nice live performances....
I came across a lice performance by him at the stage of bazm e khas, that was organised at the qutub complex a few years back... Simply outstanding.. Loved it

I loved it so much that despite it being only avaibale only on youtube, I downloaded just the audio in flac and the split the file in all 9 tracks for my offline listening...

try to get MH Hussain & Ahmed Hussain's Khwab Basera - hands down their best recorded and most accessible albums. recordings on their previous albums are compromised.

some stray pieces still available on Amazon.

Love Hariharan ji albums (always well recorded), favorite is Gulfam...also didnt See Chandan Das Saab being mentioned, another legend.

try to get MH Hussain & Ahmed Hussain's Khwab Basera - hands down their best recorded and most accessible albums. recordings on their previous albums are compromised.

Love Hariharan ji albums (always well recorded), favorite is Gulfam...also didnt See Chandan Das Saab being mentioned, another legend.
Tbh, I have completely leaned towards live recordings, after the taste of renditions from Mehdi Hasan Saheb, it's utterly difficult to enjoy Ghazals in studio settings(may be its just me), even I never listen to any of the few of his studio recordings even.

The one that I absolutely adore from Ustad Ahmed and Mohammed Hussain is the mausam aayenge jaayenge... Lyrically and musically its just one of a kind.

As me tinned earlier the recent bazm e khaas performance from Hariharan is also great...

I agree with you on the kind of recordings of hariharanss

Tbh, I have completely leaned towards live recordings, after the taste of renditions from Mehdi Hasan Saheb, it's utterly difficult to enjoy Ghazals in studio settings(may be its just me), even I never listen to any of the few of his studio recordings even.

The one that I absolutely adore from Ustad Ahmed and Mohammed Hussain is the mausam aayenge jaayenge... Lyrically and musically its just one of a kind.

As me tinned earlier the recent bazm e khaas performance from Hariharan is also great...

I agree with you on the kind of recordings of hariharan s albums..

Anyone else a fan/follower of Madhurani? Like JJ Cale, she is the quintessential singers’ singer. Not popular or even known among the masses, both were highly regarded by fellow artists. I doubt India has seen a better female ghazal singer after the legendary Begum Akhtar. Someone who shunned publicity, preferred private pursuit of music, but was a constant source of learning for her contemporaries and juniors.

IMG_9314.jpeg

If you haven’t yet, listen to that soulful voice, classical finesse and absolute ease.

Anyone else a fan/follower of Madhurani? Like JJ Cale, she is the quintessential singers’ singer. Not popular or even known among the masses, both were highly regarded by fellow artists. I doubt India has seen a better female ghazal singer after the legendary Begum Akhtar. Someone who shunned publicity, preferred private pursuit of music, but was a constant source of learning for her contemporaries and juniors.

Jagjit Singh all the way ..... True hard Core fan of Jagjit .... Been listening Jagjit right from my childhood ........ when I was like 8 or 9 years old, you would ask how..... well indecently jagjit and my dad were best friends and room mates in DAV College Jallandhar doing B.Sc and my dad had been a great fan of him right from those days, so obviously I grew up listening loads n load of jagjit singh ghazals when he became main stream. My DAD also have few LPs gifted to him by Jagjit himself. With time as I grew up Jagjit Gazal's also grew on me and eventually I became an ulti true fan of him.... He is legend .... phenomenal and exceptional romantic in his ghazals ... I can go on and on for him .......

My best Albums and top 5 Ghazals .....PPPLLLLEEAASEEE any one who even slightly likes Jagjits ghazals and is a true romantic persom ... give these Ghazala a try ..... I have loads of my best Ghazals but these would remain my specials .......

1. Passions ("Jaawani Ke heele haya ke bahane") ...UUUULTIMATE Ghazal

YouTube - ‪Jawani ke heele‬‏

2. Desires ("Gulshan Ki faqat") ....FANDUUUU

YouTube - ‪Gulshan ki faqat phoolon se nahi (Jagjit Singh)‬‏

3. LIVE AT ALBART HALL-LONDON (Haans ke bola karo bulaya karo) .... EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD .... AAAWWWEEESSSOOOMMEEEE Ghazal .....I can die on this One. I gave this to my girlfriend ......

YouTube - ‪Jagjit Singh - Haske Bola Karo‬‏

4. The Gold Disc ("Kiya Hai paya Jise humne zindgi ki tarah") ....... I used to make my GF cry with this one, and I still drop a tear or two with this one ......

YouTube - ‪Kiya hai pyar jisse humne zindagi ki tarha (Chitra, Jagjit)‬‏

5. Kahkashan ("Ab aksaar chup chup se rahe ") ......... and this is what I gave when we got separated ...... :o:o:o

YouTube - ‪Ab aksar chup chup se rahe hain (Jagjit Singh)‬‏

If anyone is a true romantic can not miss these Ghazals....... Jagjit YOU ARE THE BOSS ..... I LOVE YOU ....... HE IS THE MAN ......
How fotunate bro. Another ardent fan here. :). Glad to join this thread. Somehow it got overlooked by me.

Just bumping this thread as well coz I just can't get enough of Mehdi Hassan sahab...
Yes, I grew up on Jagjit Singh, Ghulam Ali and then Pankaj Udhas..
Discovered Mehdi Hasan in my 30s and never looked back..

His ghazals are not time constrained.. many of them 15+ minutes .. bring out that pleasure of lazy afternoons and the nights with nothing to look forward to..

IMG_9479.jpegIt’s been exactly two years since Bhupinder Singh passed away. Am pasting below my post on FB when he left us. RIP Bhupinder ji!

Though I listen to music from all eras, the 70s and 80s are particularly close to my heart. And though my music taste is eclectic, I have an affinity to ghazals and ghazal based film songs. Bhupinder Singh fell right at this intersection, and with his deep resonating bass voice and effortless soulful singing soon became my favourite singer as I started listening to music more acutely since the late 90s.

And that personal affair with his songs and albums continued over the decades. There’d hardly be an album of his I didn’t listen to, including recordings of live performances. His voice and singing only kept growing on me like only a few others.

And then around 15 odd years ago, Bhupinder and Mitali came to the residential complex we lived in back then for a live performance. It was a fortune to listen to them sing live up close (in a pandal instead of an auditorium).

Great work happens in teams and Bhupinder’s teaming with RD and Gulzar produced some legendary works. Though he probably was never considered in the uppermost echelon of either playback or ghazal singers (‘Kabhi kisi ko mukammal jahan nahi milta’), he created a special place in the hearts of a niche segment who loved him throughout his career. And he did have a long one true to one of his songs, ‘Dil chahe gaata hi rahoon main’. In this long journey he had his singer-wife Mitali who responded to his ‘Banke mera humkadam tu saath chal’ and continued to walk with him till the end.

Yesterday he left behind Mitali, the world and the followers of his music and passed away into eternity. With time the further generations might not have unaided recall of his name (‘Naam gum jayega’), but whenever they listen to his songs (‘Meri aawaz hi pehchan hain’) he’d be remembered and followed fondly. His legacy is unassuming, but strong - just like him.

Rest in peace Bhupinder Singh. You deserve it after bestowing upon us countless peaceful afternoons, evenings and nights! ‘Aap se milkar hamein yeh zindagi acchi lagi’!

Yes, I grew up on Jagjit Singh, Ghulam Ali and then Pankaj Udhas..
Discovered Mehdi Hasan in my 30s and never looked back..

His ghazals are not time constrained.. many of them 15+ minutes .. bring out that pleasure of lazy afternoons and the nights with nothing to look forward to..
I ll be honest once you have tasted the ghazal rendering of Mehdi Hassan, everything else feels below par (no offense to any other artist)
Same ghazal, on same rag he renders differently every time with those noticeable changes...
The hallmark is the tempo, the level, the pitch, the softness, the laya remains constant..

He knew how to mesmerize the audience and keep them glued with Waah Waah and kya baat hai.

He is my ultimate fall back tbh, after trying other artists, genres to calm my mind and senses I just switch to him

A concise Ghazal 101 explaining the lyrical structure, musical styles, emotional essence as well as the beginnings, evolution and journey of Ghazals over the centuries.

One of the best online literature sources for Ghazal followers is ‘Rekhta’ - both a portal and app, it’s actually a movement for propagation of Urdu language and its literature. I find the Rekhta Dictionary app handy while listening to Ghazals to quickly refer to meanings of the Urdu terms I can’t make sense of on my own. What an ornamental language! I doubt any other language is so intricately related to poetry as Urdu.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back