Ghazal Corner

"Muh ki baat", the title track to "Neem ka ped [TV Serial]" that aired on Doordarshan in 1991 and later released as part of Album "Insight". Sung by Jagjit Singh and beautiful lyrics by Nida Fazli. I happened to hear this wonderful track again yesterday, after a long time and it brought back memories from the good old 90s :)

Rarely do we get lyrics like these....
Sadiyon Sadiyon Vahi Tamasha, Rasta Rasta Lambi Khoj
Lekin Jab Hum Mil Jaate Hain, Kho Jaata Hai Jaane Kaun
Aawazon Ke Bazaaron Mein Khamoshi Pehchane Kaun

Muh Ki Baat Sune Har Koi......

I had heard this beautiful Ghazal written by Mir Taqi Mir, sometime back in an excellent movie, Richie Mehta's "Amal". This short version was sung by Dr. Shiva who also plays a cameo role in the movie.

I couldn't find any other renditions other than the below on YouTube. If you're aware of any other versions available on CD/streaming, please do share.

Just bumping this thread as well coz I just can't get enough of Mehdi Hassan sahab... I remember I had bought my very first audio cd of him way back in 1998 upon the recommendation of my friend, from Adarsh stores at Janpath in Connaught place, Delhi... And it just clicked something somewhere so strong that I couldn't appreciate anyone else afterwards... (yes Hariharan now ofcourse)
Audio Cds used to cost a bomb back then and me being a student it wasn't that easy to buy 10s of them in a month, lol 295 was the minimum price and everything was upwards of that...
Collected very many but I enjoyed them fully... Initaiily my inclination was tieards studio recordings but after just a few weeks, I realised twhat a bliss it gives listening to live ones and I got hooked..

Now I tend to listen to ghazals by Hariharan as well, but only the ones which can actually be called a ghazal with all the ragas and Classical rendetions...

Just bumping this thread as well coz I just can't get enough of Mehdi Hassan sahab... I remember I had bought my very first audio cd of him way back in 1998 upon the recommendation of my friend, from Adarsh stores at Janpath in Connaught place, Delhi... And it just clicked something somewhere so strong that I couldn't appreciate anyone else afterwards... (yes Hariharan now ofcourse)
Audio Cds used to cost a bomb back then and me being a student it wasn't that easy to buy 10s of them in a month, lol 295 was the minimum price and everything was upwards of that...
Collected very many but I enjoyed them fully... Initaiily my inclination was tieards studio recordings but after just a few weeks, I realised twhat a bliss it gives listening to live ones and I got hooked..

Now I tend to listen to ghazals by Hariharan as well, but only the ones which can actually be called a ghazal with all the ragas and Classical rendetions...
Please share some of the your favourite ghazals (album name as well). I was also a big fan of his work (Audio cassette era). Specially Kehna Usey, Classical Ghazals - Vol. 1-3 live performance series.

Please share some of the your favourite ghazals (album name as well). I was also a big fan of his work (Audio cassette era). Specially Kehna Usey, Classical Ghazals - Vol. 1-3 live performance series.

Mehdi Hassan - live

Here's the Spotify Playlist, all are, great ones with best recording quality..

Last edited:
Just to clear a few things,
Why I have not shared albums, well many have pretty below average quality even on Spotify... Hence I carefully picked up all the best ones..
I guess you may have noticed that this playlist was made directly by adding albums so you can pick and choose album names as well, and add/download what you like..
If you want to actually download them to your storage then let me know.. Might have to dig stuff from my cd collection.. Some might be in mp3 and other in audio cd format

Just to clear a few things,
Why I have not shared albums, well many have pretty below average quality even on Spotify... Hence I carefully picked up all the best ones..
I guess you may have noticed that this playlist was made directly by adding albums so you can pick and choose album names as well, and add/download what you like..
If you want to actually download them to your storage then let me know.. Might have to dig stuff from my cd collection.. Some might be in mp3 and other in audio cd format
Thanks for sharing the playlist. this is helpful. I also have some of these tracks in CD format. Will PM in case I need any specific track in better quality. thanks again.

This particular ghazal has been sung by Mehdi Hassan Sahab as well as Begum Farida Khanum. And countless others...
Its one of my favorites... Especially the Maqta {the last sher where the authors (Daag in this case ) name comes} which starts roughly at 8:55..
Its just fantastic...
Zeest se tang ho Ae Daag to jeete kyun ho
Jaan pyari bhi nahin, Jaan se jaate bhi nahin...

Zeest : Life

Although I am not sure about the audio quality as most of his ghazals were recorded love that too with pretty low quliaty equipments.. But these albums had many great gems

THE LEGEND FOREVER - MEHDI HASAN (MP3) https://amzn.eu/d/dwUmZ2o
This is a mp3 album.. Costs 99 + 89 shipping

THE LEGEND FOREVER - MEHDI HASAN https://amzn.eu/d/gab3bOv
In the same listing there is another combo which has 4 audio Cds (I hope) in it and 3 or 4 extra compositions than the above shared mp3 cd.
This one costs 299+89 shipping..

Although I am not sure about the audio quality as most of his ghazals were recorded love that too with pretty low quliaty equipments.. But these albums had many great gems

THE LEGEND FOREVER - MEHDI HASAN (MP3) https://amzn.eu/d/dwUmZ2o
This is a mp3 album.. Costs 99 + 89 shipping

THE LEGEND FOREVER - MEHDI HASAN https://amzn.eu/d/gab3bOv
In the same listing there is another combo which has 4 audio Cds (I hope) in it and 3 or 4 extra compositions than the above shared mp3 cd.
This one costs 299+89 shipping..
Lol
I was gonna purchase the 4 cd version.. Then just thought of checking my collection and bang.. Found the mp3...
I wish I had a working cd player at my disposal to go through it and check the audio quality..

Attachments

• 20230930_231226.jpg
    20230930_231226.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 5
My all time go to album...

I just clocked the album on Spotify it is indeed great, how refreshing Asha Bhonsle sounds in this... She has tbh overshadowed Ghulam Ali...
Nice of you to share it.. I think I am listening to it may be after 10 or 15 years atm

So If there is one artist who just didn't do any justice to his potential as a singer, as a ghazal singer in real sense is Talat Aziz...
I Beleive he is the only Indian tutored by Mehdi Hassan Sahab.. but he got swept away by the muck of Bollywood and left himself high and dry, couldn't becone a singer, couldn't become an actor..

This is his first album as a promising ghazal gaayak, his album was introduced by none other than Jagjit Singh..

Also I have a compiled a Playlist of ghazals by Asha Bhosle... Tried to add whatever I remember and could find.. Please suggest if more are to be added..

Another artists that I just love listening to is Begum Farida Khanum... This album is one of my absolute favorite, can listen to it for hours really

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back