• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Glasswool, where to buy them?

Home Theatre Systems

hifitoaster

Where can we get glass wool in Bengaluru any idea? They won't ship as its a hazardous material.

MaSh

Head to the closest home AC and Fridge service shops. You can buy by the KG from them.

MaSh

yogibear

Kind of unhealthy and needs careful handling. Why not synthetic wool used in pillows ?

Though my own favorite option is thin layers of "Namda", I think its made out of sheep wool.

sunder

Kind of unhealthy and needs careful handling. Why not synthetic wool used in pillows ?

Though my own favorite option is thin layers of "Namda", I think its made out of sheep wool.

What are the thickness , varieties available of Sheep wool Namda? what thickness you have used? Is it in affordable price ? Thanks.

yogibear

What are the thickness , varieties available of Sheep wool Namda? what thickness you have used? Is it in affordable price ? Thanks.

Its been many years since I made boxed speakers. I have had experience in repairing crossovers of some vintage speakers and taking out glass wool was a mess. It was skin irritant and one may even lose his eyes.

I did use acoustic foam and synthetic wool but came across Namda when I designed/fabricated a cryogenic treatment machine. I started lining the inner walls of the cabinets with 5mm to 15mm thickness namda sheets (cream/off white in color) and found it very nice sonically. Bass and mid were smoothened and warm. There was a factory nearby and Namda was inexpensive.

The factory has shut down and there is another one guy who makes it to export but his prices are not affordable.

The other choice I think is just getting hold of cheap rugs made out of Namda and cut it to sizes and try.

My belief is lining up walls of a TL with Namda will also have great sonic benefits as well.

sound_cycle

Where can we get glass wool in Bengaluru any idea? They won't ship as its a hazardous material.
Roxul ? Similar spec but not quite as irritating. If you are getting either buy the lower densities not higher ones (and avoid my mistake)
ciao
gr

sunder

I started lining the inner walls of the cabinets with 5mm to 15mm thickness namda sheets (cream/off white in color) and found it very nice sonically.

Thank you yogibear. I have seen in some vintage speaker enclosures, in that, the stuffings are densely full and closely surrounded by the drivers without any small gap. Between this type of filling and your 15mm method of namda filling, how would be the result ? Here I have given links for the videos regarding this.

Thank you,
Regards,
Sunder.

yogibear

You are correct Sunder about vintage cabs full of glass wool. However I would personally advise you to stay away from any density of glass wool. It is harmful to skin, respiratory tract and can damage eyes. Some consider it to be carcinogenic as well.

Regarding Namda / foam lining vs stuffing with foam / wool , I presume it depends on the resonance property of the material used for cabinets. I used MDF and real wood too and found namda to be better.

Now the only material I use and prefer is 18-24mm ply as wood is hard to find in good widths and that’s for my OB baffles and I would use the same for boxed speakers or TL if ever needed.

However as far as bass enclosure is concerned, Russian Birch Ply is considered sonically superior to all and should require minimal stuffing or just lining.

Sorry I cannot help spell out clear sonic comparison between stuffing and lining as my experience is limited.

yogibear

Yes, for me, stuffing or lining always made the bass sound more realistic and smoother compared to bare cabinet from inside.

sunder

Ok well. But can we stuff Namda /Wool as much dense as we see in the video? It's said that more stuffing inside the box, so that the back waves travel long to reach the boundaries, so that the sound will be heard bigger. Have you tried? Thanks.

yogibear

Ok well. But can we stuff Namda /Wool as much dense as we see in the video? It's said that more stuffing inside the box, so that the back waves travel long to reach the boundaries, so that the sound will be heard bigger. Have you tried? Thanks.

Sunder you can stuff synthetic wool to any extent but not namda as it comes in different thickness. I used it for inner lining only.

I would further advice you to give slanting sides ( non parallel) to your cabinet may be just two of the side ones if all four are difficult. This will help tame standing waves as well.

My very first enclosure was in 1.25” solid Sheesham wood when I was 18 back in 1989. It was just lined by foam no stuffing. It had the most amazing bass I ever heard from a boxed speaker coming out of just an 8” Philips midbass driver. (Probably the back waves got lost completely !!!! )

DC2FFDA4-2B16-4F45-AD75-0D39E9BE2F1D.jpeg

yogibear

I intend to repeat above build for a 2 way using Russian Birch ply and modular front baffle....

sunder

Ok, will try. I think, in this your box, you have used different thickness of wood planks for front, sides and bottom. This method will give some special sound quality. Thanks.

yogibear

Ok, will try. I think, in this your box, you have used different thickness of wood planks for front, sides and bottom. This method will give some special sound quality. Thanks.

Not exactly Sunder. With little pocket money and a burning desire to make the pentagonal cabinets, I only had choice of a few planks of different thickness as left overs. So the cabs turned out with 1.25 to 1.5” thick walls. It was my first year of college back in Pilani days.

hifitoaster

I never knew Glasswool was dangerous until some time back. when i tried to rework on a crossover on one old speaker I got that itchy feeling. The only reason I wanted to have glass wool again, was the speakers I want to fill them orginally had loads of it, and ants have eaten half of them now. I am worried if I change the material the sound profile may change. Or if it doesnt then I can get something else. But, I guess the absorption character is different with different materials and its a not right the change the material. Its not for a new DIY but for restoring my old speakers. Everything else is ok, just the fillings is half gone now! One speaker sounded more boomy over time. I had my doubts about it as I saw lots of ants around those for some time. Opening the box, I was surprised that they were having a feast inside. Now, again the same problem is there though. Unfortunately, there is very little I can do at my home, due to moist climate.

yogibear

It would be better to get rid of glass wool from both and look for an alternative. Love for sound is very much understandable but not at cost of health hazards.

smedhavi

Once I bought it from http://www.kwalityproducts.in/. They delivered it. I gave of the remaining to a fellow FM.

Glass wool is not carcinogenic, rockwool is. Glasswool does create prickly heat kind of irritation on the skin if you happen to rub it behind your hands etc. So wear gloves and mask while you work with it. I covered the glass wool with synthetic fiber layer in the cabinets, so that it would not touch my hands later on while installing the drivers etc. More pictures here: https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...-full-range-speakers.62582/page-2#post-701105

Thanks,
Sharad

sunder

Not exactly Sunder. With little pocket money and a burning desire to make the pentagonal cabinets, I only had choice of a few planks of different thickness as left overs. So the cabs turned out with 1.25 to 1.5” thick walls. It was my first year of college back in Pilani days.

The enthusiasm still growing strongly on you. Cheers.