Glasswool, where to buy them?

hifitoaster

Where can we get glass wool in Bengaluru any idea? They won't ship as its a hazardous material.

Kind of unhealthy and needs careful handling. Why not synthetic wool used in pillows ?

Though my own favorite option is thin layers of "Namda", I think its made out of sheep wool.

What are the thickness , varieties available of Sheep wool Namda? what thickness you have used? Is it in affordable price ? Thanks.

Where can we get glass wool in Bengaluru any idea? They won't ship as its a hazardous material.
Roxul ? Similar spec but not quite as irritating. If you are getting either buy the lower densities not higher ones (and avoid my mistake)
ciao
gr

I started lining the inner walls of the cabinets with 5mm to 15mm thickness namda sheets (cream/off white in color) and found it very nice sonically.

Thank you yogibear. I have seen in some vintage speaker enclosures, in that, the stuffings are densely full and closely surrounded by the drivers without any small gap. Between this type of filling and your 15mm method of namda filling, how would be the result ? Here I have given links for the videos regarding this.

Thank you,
Regards,
Sunder.

Ok well. But can we stuff Namda /Wool as much dense as we see in the video? It's said that more stuffing inside the box, so that the back waves travel long to reach the boundaries, so that the sound will be heard bigger. Have you tried? Thanks.

Ok, will try. I think, in this your box, you have used different thickness of wood planks for front, sides and bottom. This method will give some special sound quality. Thanks.

I never knew Glasswool was dangerous until some time back. when i tried to rework on a crossover on one old speaker I got that itchy feeling. The only reason I wanted to have glass wool again, was the speakers I want to fill them orginally had loads of it, and ants have eaten half of them now. I am worried if I change the material the sound profile may change. Or if it doesnt then I can get something else. But, I guess the absorption character is different with different materials and its a not right the change the material. Its not for a new DIY but for restoring my old speakers. Everything else is ok, just the fillings is half gone now! One speaker sounded more boomy over time. I had my doubts about it as I saw lots of ants around those for some time. Opening the box, I was surprised that they were having a feast inside. Now, again the same problem is there though. Unfortunately, there is very little I can do at my home, due to moist climate.

Once I bought it from http://www.kwalityproducts.in/. They delivered it. I gave of the remaining to a fellow FM.

Glass wool is not carcinogenic, rockwool is. Glasswool does create prickly heat kind of irritation on the skin if you happen to rub it behind your hands etc. So wear gloves and mask while you work with it. I covered the glass wool with synthetic fiber layer in the cabinets, so that it would not touch my hands later on while installing the drivers etc. More pictures here: https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...-full-range-speakers.62582/page-2#post-701105

Thanks,
Sharad

Not exactly Sunder. With little pocket money and a burning desire to make the pentagonal cabinets, I only had choice of a few planks of different thickness as left overs. So the cabs turned out with 1.25 to 1.5” thick walls. It was my first year of college back in Pilani days.

The enthusiasm still growing strongly on you. Cheers.

Since you said it, it never ceased to grow. Though as I am getting older I am scared of losing hearing and eye sight as people do when they grow older. Would keep up Audio DIY till the end and take my toys along if God grants my wish ! ( and nothing else )

One advantage of being a DYI person is that you keep customizing the electronics and speakers to reverse equalize your hearing loss pattern by just tuning the system to what sounds good to you as you evolve :)

- Sharad

Once I bought it from http://www.kwalityproducts.in/. They delivered it. I gave of the remaining to a fellow FM.

Glass wool is not carcinogenic, rockwool is. Glasswool does create prickly heat kind of irritation on the skin if you happen to rub it behind your hands etc. So wear gloves and mask while you work with it. I covered the glass wool with synthetic fiber layer in the cabinets, so that it would not touch my hands later on while installing the drivers etc. More pictures here: https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...-full-range-speakers.62582/page-2#post-701105

Thanks,
Sharad
Thank you . I will try to get it from there. I didnt know the health hazard back . yeah its like prickly heat. it went off once I washed hands with a shower gel.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back