Goldring CK 2 Transcription Turntable

kuruvilajacob

I have just added a Goldring Model Number CK 2 Transcription turntable Made In England with original Goldring Cartridge to my collection. It sounds very similar to my AR Turntables . It has very similar construction to AR. They have made it with a little help from Lenco who were their partners in UK at that time. The headshell and arm lift system are ditto Lenco. I like what comes out through these wonderful machines. It sounds warm and pleasing. Another similar sounding TT is the Thorens TD 150. They hardly need any servicing and their motor is so small you will think how such a small motor can ever work so well. i had decided not to pick up any more TTs but this looked in pristine condition and may have been used only very sparingly . What impressed me with this TT is the Goldring cart which is really a wonderful warm cart. Goldring makes some of the best MM cartridges i have heard. Goldring 1012 and 1006. On the Plinth there is a marking 'Deluxe'. I just wanted to share with fellow FMs about some classic vintage Turntable models which must have made our earlier generation so very happy and contented with their music listening.

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance, but I often hear the term 'transcription motors' wrt turntables. Kindly the informed let me know about it. Would be grateful.

Thanks,
Saket

The term has been co-opted over the years to mean simply "high fidelity", but originally it was a turntable that could play 16-inch transcription discs common from about the mid-1930s to the late-1940s for radio station use. These 16-inch transcription discs were cut at 33 1/3 rpm and could hold about 15 minutes of continuous playing time per side (as contrasted with 5-7 minutes for 78s regularly played in that period) and were often used for syndicated programs or government broadcasts. Most radio stations had equipment on which they could cut their own transcription discs of programs or for spot commericials. Some transcription systems encoded the signal in a side-to-side playing groove, but at least one used vertical grooves requiring a separate tonearm/cartridge. Thus, the tables often accommodated two arms.

source: AudiogoN Forums: What is a Transcription Turntable

Looking great and is in pristine condition. Is it mounted on springs?

Yes, they are mounted on springs. It's quite well isolated from the plinth by these springs. I understand, these machines were also sold as a kit those days. I think many Britishers liked to have their share of involvement in setting up their music systems those days. I suppose, they had more time for leisure and for indulging in their hobbies than we do.

Pardon my ignorance, but I often hear the term 'transcription motors' wrt turntables. Kindly the informed let me know about it. Would be grateful.

Thanks,
Saket

Saket,
As I understand, transcription turntables were made to be used in Studios and for Radio Broadcasting. I am not sure if they made special motors for the above mentioned purpose.

The term has been co-opted over the years to mean simply "high fidelity", but originally it was a turntable that could play 16-inch transcription discs common from about the mid-1930s to the late-1940s for radio station use. These 16-inch transcription discs were cut at 33 1/3 rpm and could hold about 15 minutes of continuous playing time per side (as contrasted with 5-7 minutes for 78s regularly played in that period) and were often used for syndicated programs or government broadcasts. Most radio stations had equipment on which they could cut their own transcription discs of programs or for spot commericials. Some transcription systems encoded the signal in a side-to-side playing groove, but at least one used vertical grooves requiring a separate tonearm/cartridge. Thus, the tables often accommodated two arms.

source: AudiogoN Forums: What is a Transcription Turntable

also, in the old days of 16" transcriptions, there were lateral cut and vertical cut transcriptions. And many a broadcast turntable had to have cartridge setups for both methods. And when LP and 45 RPM discs came into use, transcriptions were still in wide use so you had to have one arm set up for microgroove duty with appropriate stylus and another for 78 and transcription disk use.

take a look at this article on the subject: Disk Transcription

great,I suppose, they had more time for leisure and for indulging in their hobbies than we do. thanks
6zCN

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back