Good Subwoofer under 10K

spycatcher

Hi guys - a friend of mine just invested in budget set up of the below:

Amp: Cambridge Audio 340 A
Source: Regular budget CD/DVD player from Philips
Speakers: Mordaunt Short 904i
Roomsize: 12X15 feet
The prob is that overall base is not punchy enough from the speakers. Any suggestions on a good sub-woofer under 10K to compliment the above setup? Currently its use is for stereo music only. (Due to budget constraints, will not want to change the source for a while).

We are based out of Delhi hence do not have access to all hi-fi brands here.

Thanks everyone.

Hi Spycatcher

If you could stretch ur budget a little bit , i would suggest you JBL SUB 140 Its a 8inches down firing with 100watts and you should have an audition.
Also check out the Boston ( forgot the model number)

regards

Mordaunt Short have a couple of subwoofers in their Carnival series that are priced below 10,000 but I have never heard them. I believe it should be easily available in Delhi - you can contact the MS distributors (Fx Entertainment) to locate a dealer in your area. The best match would be the MS Avant 309i sub but that is around 15k (well worth stretching the budget).

The only sub I can suggest under 10k are a few from Jamo. Best you can get for that price in India. If you have access to Dubai/Singapore market, Sony has a sub. That was USD 200-250 2 years ago. Quite impressive for that money.

The only sub I can suggest under 10k are a few from Jamo. Best you can get for that price in India. If you have access to Dubai/Singapore market, Sony has a sub. That was USD 200-250 2 years ago. Quite impressive for that money.

well the cheapest jamo sub is the sub200 & that cost ard 14k, its not under the 10k budget, me too doin research for a sub, anyone got the jamo sub200??

well the cheapest jamo sub is the sub200 & that cost ard 14k, its not under the 10k budget, me too doin research for a sub, anyone got the jamo sub200??

I do not recall where but I did see a sub from Jamo which was quoted at Rs 9500. Probably it was in HYD. In Delhi, try HomeTown GIP, Noida and the Cinebells at Supertech Mall, Gurgaon. They should have it.

Apart from the above, look at Mordaunt Short Carnival 7, Mordaunt Short Premiere 308W. These cost around 10K and should not be too hard to find in Delhi.

You don;t have a Mordaunt Short dealer there? Not even a Jamo? All failing try Polk Audio and Wharfedale. They all have affordable subs.

However, a word of caution, don't expect a sub costing 10k to bring about a substantial change to your system if your main speakers are Bookshelf/floor stander.

You don;t have a Mordaunt Short dealer there? However, a word of caution, don't expect a sub costing 10k to bring about a substantial change to your system if your main speakers are Bookshelf/floor stander.

RR is spot on with that word of caution. Such subs are meant to accompany satellite speakers and would not add much value with bookshelf/floorstanders.

You don;t have a Mordaunt Short dealer there? Not even a Jamo? All failing try Polk Audio and Wharfedale. They all have affordable subs.

However, a word of caution, don't expect a sub costing 10k to bring about a substantial change to your system if your main speakers are Bookshelf/floor stander.

Ranjeetrain - ur quote about 100% sound is Excellent:)

thanks alot guys for the feedbacks,
yes we have jamo dealers here, i was thinking abt jamo sub200 with is for ard 13k, i m now considering the jamo sub250 which is ard 22k, i got jamo s606 7.0 speakers( front are floorstanders & remaining 5 are bookshelf type)
wat ur'll guys think abt the jam sub250, its 250watt power, it should gel well with my s606 speakers rite? the sub link is here-
Subwoofer line

wat ur'll guys think abt the sub, pls give the gurus' feedback,
thanks alot for all the help
cheers.....

Last edited:
That brings me to the quaestion, why your HT package doesn't have a sub?
i had a jbl 100rms sub, its 5rs old & acts funny now, it leaves a hum sometimes even when the reciever is not givin any bass signal, the 100rms sub was ok not bad, goin to audition the sub200 & sub250 tom, the sub300 is for 28k totally out of my budget:( so will see the difference between sub 200 & 250, i thik it should go well with fronts,
thanks for the help,
cheers..

forget to answer the other question sorry:(
jamo dont give sub with the s606 package, the front floor standers have builtin 8" woofers in them for bass, they are good but a dedicated sub will be bonus too,
cheers byee

If you are going upto 22k, you should definitely look at JBL E250P. It costs 25k, but who knows you may be able to get a discount. Its one hell of a sub. 10x better than the Jamo.

If you are going upto 22k, you should definitely look at JBL E250P. It costs 25k, but who knows you may be able to get a discount. Its one hell of a sub. 10x better than the Jamo.
no offence to JBL fans but jbl is overpriced in india, thier ervice network sux here to , i had jbls for 6yrs very tough to get them serviced as the offical people are fxaudio & they sux in customercare, the same woofer which is 25k is for 8k in US, just feel jbl in india is a rip off, no offence just my opionion,
thanks byee

You are right Insane,the other day I had been to their outlet at Lavelle rd here in bangalore to audition the northridge series E-30 bookshelves,and the person there was not at all interested in giving any info,just telling things like no sir,nowadays nobody buys bookshelves,short supply blah blah blah

Usual problems with hifi sellers in our country, not just JBL. Entry level gear from international brand are the worst victim.

Many of salesmen don't understand tone control. Tell them bass and they will understand.

Upmarking, Overcharging etc is a common place. As much as we all hate it, there doesn't seem to be a way out until our hoe grown manufacturers become competent technically and we start believing in their product.

There is only one way to leagally beat Import/Custom Duties etc. Buy an Indian product.

Back