Good System just for Music

ashitg

Guys ! This is my first post. Have browsed through a few threads and really liked the advice from the experts !

I need help in setting up a new system for my living room. Most of the posts are for systems required for Movie & Music. My requirement is just 100% Music, mostly Soft Rock 80-90's, Pop, World Music, and live streaming through my mobile.

Budget is 25-30K. As suggested by most of you, I will first setup the 2.1 system and upgrade later to 5.1.

Biggest issue for me is that auditions for most of the good Companies (JBL, Marantz, Denon, Norge, Yamaha, Wharfedale) are not available in Baroda...at least I am not aware of at present. I did audition the Onkyo 3100 HTIB (available for 21,500 at Kroma)

I do visit Mumbai often so I could audition the systems there. I could also visit Ahmedabad.

Please send your suggestions for suitable AVR+Speakers.
Ashit

If the system is 100% for music - a 5.1 system has no place in it. :)

25-30K for the entire system is hard to do without any compromise in components. Maybe you can look at the Audioengine 5 and using an existing computer as source? You should have enough left over to get a wonderful sound card (ASUS Xonar Essence). And this should make for an engaging musical experience. Then you could add a subwoofer to this setup to complete it.

If you are looking to go the amplifier-passive speaker route, then for a music-oriented system you might want to wait till you can increase your budget somewhat.

Hi ashit,

A warm welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay here.:)

From your post it is not clear if you want to go for the AVR and 2.1 start and then later upgrade to 5.1 or a stereo amp and speakers setup. Please clarify.

While i leave it to the experts to to guide you on your system, there is one thing i want to say. Dont ever buy a Onkyo HTiB if your preference is 100% music.

cheers,
sri

Ya the ONKYO HTIBs are purely for movie sensations and will offer great value for money when it comes to watching movies with decent,sound levels,ups and downs,decent rumble/rattle and so. But they don't do justice for music,as to enjoy the purest form of music,all you need is a good stereo system. Most of members here would recommend you to go for a decent stereo amp and a pair of bookshelves or floorstanders. Look at brands like Wharfedale diamonds bookshelves,MS,KEF,klipsch, which offer you excellent value for money and give u the exp u need for the music listening. You can try and get a seconds stereo amp,so that you will have enough money left for buying the stereo speakers.
Vj

Hi Ashit:

Welcome. First, since you want for 100% music, please ignore any AVR that you have in mind, reason, no AVR can reproduce a 2-channel music as a dedicated cd+amp can do. What you can do is buy a dedicated setup for stereo now and later on if funds permit add an AVR to the mix. Having said that, with your budget in mind, i would suggest the following combos for stereo only -

* CA 340A + CA 340C + MS 902i
* CA 340A + CA 340C + CA S30
* Marantz PM4001 + CD5001 + Diamond 9.1

I've heard the above combos and they're good for the money. You can even get Indian amps and cdps (Norge, Craftel, to name a few) for less money (haven't heard them), so can't recommend them enough.

:)

Dear friends...

I am also in the same situation. I already have an old & faithful stereo system (amp, cdp & a pair of floorstanders). Now to add punch in movies also, I need a AVR and 3 speakers. I am not sure if I need to add a subwoofer also...

Give some idea about AVR & speakers

thanks

Dear friends...

I am also in the same situation. I already have an old & faithful stereo system (amp, cdp & a pair of floorstanders). Now to add punch in movies also, I need a AVR and 3 speakers. I am not sure if I need to add a subwoofer also...

Give some idea about AVR & speakers

thanks

Hello Experts..

This is my first post to this forum...Its really great entring into the hifi world.

I too wanna buy a system Just for music only and my brand preferences are :-

Cambridge Audio 650A
Cambridge Audio 650C
B&W 684

But I dont know from where to buy them in Delhi...

I need expert's advice if this is gonna work or am I spending too much..
What else combination can work...

Regards
Manish

Hello Experts..

This is my first post to this forum...Its really great entring into the hifi world.

I too wanna buy a system Just for music only and my brand preferences are :-

Cambridge Audio 650A
Cambridge Audio 650C
B&W 684

But I dont know from where to buy them in Delhi...

I need expert's advice if this is gonna work or am I spending too much..
What else combination can work...

Regards
Manish

Hi
You can buy the CA stuff from Denny (Bass n treble) and the BW from select city walk saket.
Thanks

Hi,
My first time here.
Have a house in Goa n need a music system for it.
Room+hall area is approx 650 sq ft and also speakers for the whole veranda running about 70 ft.
Requirement is of good quality music, mostly soft rock and pop with the occasional dance party thrown in.
Am told that the Goa humidity will kill anything other than all weather (Polk Audio) speakers. True??
Budget is within 2 lacs.
Any help/suggestion/advise will be VERY welcome.
Rajiv

I am very much comfortable with my existing setup, so I would recommend you the same setup,

As you will use it for 100% music it is recommended to go for a 2 channel setup with your computer as source.

Amp - Norge 1000 (Rs 9500+Shipping charges)
wharfedale. 9.1 or 9.2 (Rs 11500, 15000)
M-Audio 2496 sound card (Rs 7500)

Cable 8 meters - Rs 960

MX/Monster Cable to connect your computer to Amp -1100

If you choose wharfedale 9.1 speaker, total cost of the setup would be Rs 30560 or less based on your bargain power

Last edited:
I am very much comfortable with my existing setup, so I would recommend you the same setup,

As you will use it for 100% music it is recommended to go for a 2 channel setup with your computer as source.

Amp - Norge 1000 (Rs 9500+Shipping charges)
wharfedale. 9.1 or 9.2 (Rs 11500, 15000)
M-Audio 2496 sound card (Rs 7500)

Cable 8 meters - Rs 960

MX/Monster Cable to connect your computer to Amp -1100

If you choose wharfedale 9.1 speaker, total cost of the setup would be Rs 30560 or less based on your bargain power

i really like your setup
i think its one of the most balanced , leveheaded and VFM setups ive come across in the price point

I think I will take the advice from skndv and go for the Norge 1000 and Wharf 9.1. Only issue is that the audition is not possible in Baroda. Should I just order them without audition based on the expert's opinions here? I have seen numerous threads recommending this combo.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back