Good to buy Vintage Pioneer A-443 amplifier of 1989 for 13k?

abhi-JET

Hi, Received one deal. Can you please suggest, is it worth buying 1989 model?
Name - Pioneer A-443 amplifier
Japnese model
Price - 13k
Mfg. Date - 1989

vintage amps, specially like this one which is over 30 years old, need recapping, check if they have been recapped earlier.

Otherwise keep some budget aside for it.

Thanks. Dealer has no idea about recapping. I think, considering this servicing and availability of new integrated amplifiers around 20k, its better to skip this deal.

Hi, Received one deal. Can you please suggest, is it worth buying 1989 model?
Name - Pioneer A-443 amplifier
Japnese model
Price - 13k
Mfg. Date - 1989
Pioneer/Sansui/Denon/Yamaha/Marantz amps of 1980-90s really good, provided they have maintained well and not gone through many hands. Power of those Integrates ranges from 40 to 80 W aiming for home listening, driving high sensitivity big box type bookshelves, with sincere delivery of mid range melody and music being produced during those days. With regard to cost, 13K seems higher side, but it all depends on the condition of the Amp. However there are some series of Vintage Pioneer/Sansui/Marantz along with NAD/Luxmun/Mcintosh etc, which are considered as prized possessions, rare to get in India and costs huge sum.

Pioneer/Sansui/Denon/Yamaha/Marantz amps of 1980-90s really good, provided they have maintained well and not gone through many hands. Power of those Integrates ranges from 40 to 80 W aiming for home listening, driving high sensitivity big box type bookshelves, with sincere delivery of mid range melody and music being produced during those days. With regard to cost, 13K seems higher side, but it all depends on the condition of the Amp. However there are some series of Vintage Pioneer/Sansui/Marantz along with NAD/Luxmun/Mcintosh etc, which are considered as prized possessions, rare to get in India and costs huge sum.
Thanks a lot. Actually, I don't have enough knowledge to determine its actual worth based on its current condition, whether the parts are in good condition or not.
In worst case scenario, if it I have to service the parts, how much will be the cost? If it is well maintained, how long will it last?

I thought of this option(Vintage amp) to save some money and buy better speakers. However, seeing information around regarding vintage stuff recapping, I would prefer amps priced around 20k.

1. Pioneer A10E
2. Marantz PM5005
3. Yamaha R-S202

Which one is better? Are these better than Pioneer a443? I am considering Elac B5.2/Q Acoustics 3020i/Wharfedale D320 for speakers.

Thanks a lot. Actually, I don't have enough knowledge to determine its actual worth based on its current condition, whether the parts are in good condition or not.
In worst case scenario, if it I have to service the parts, how much will be the cost? If it is well maintained, how long will it last?

I thought of this option(Vintage amp) to save some money and buy better speakers. However, seeing information around regarding vintage stuff recapping, I would prefer amps priced around 20k.

1. Pioneer A10E
2. Marantz PM5005
3. Yamaha R-S202

Which one is better? Are these better than Pioneer a443? I am considering Elac B5.2/Q Acoustics 3020i/Wharfedale D320 for speakers.
If your preference is Music, you can look at combo offer of Hifimart for Pioneer A10 Amplifier plus BS22 Speakers, which is VFM under tight budget.

If your preference is Music, you can look at combo offer of Hifimart for Pioneer A10 Amplifier plus BS22 Speakers, which is VFM under tight budget.
Great deal. However, it is actually out of stock. I have joined the waitlist. I am not sure about when will be they available? Shall I wait?

Great deal. However, it is actually out of stock. I have joined the waitlist. I am not sure about when will be they available? Shall I wait?
.... Sorry I was not noticed that status. But they have AMP in the stock. Only the the speakers are out of stock. You can try other sources for Speakers or availability of any matching used bookshelves from the Forum members.

Yes. True. Any feedback?
No negative feedback as such. Have spoken to him a few times about some of the amps he was offering. Overall found his prices to be on the higher side, especially when there is no available history. That is all I have to offer.

When buying used amplifiers, always audition. If you cannot, then atleast ask for pictures of the back panel and also the inside and a working video. This will help to make a decision and weigh the risk. Over the last couple of years I have bought 4-5 old amplifiers just to check them out and get a feel for vintage amps and they have almost always needed some work.

When I started my journey into stereo and moved away from HT, my first integrated amplifier was a new one. Spent the next few years on the forum and once I was confident enough I started looking at used amplifiers and speakers for a secondary system. One must have the patience and willingness to spend money (it may not always be a big amount) getting old equipment fixed. Not to mention availability of skilled people who will do the job. Fortunately in Pune there are a few who are doing this kind of work. Good luck!

If you look at hifishark.com you can see its historically sold for around 60-80 $,€/£ most of the times. When I lived in chennai, I used to buy amps cheaper than hifishark most of the time from a used market there. Considering unavailability of amps in most other parts of India, if I were you , and if I were really desperate for buying an amp I would have paid a max of 6-7k for it. Pioneer doesn't have the resale value of denon, marantz, sansui and luxman. There amps arw not bad though. 13k is too much.

If you look at hifishark.com you can see its historically sold for around 60-80 $,€/£ most of the times. When I lived in chennai, I used to buy amps cheaper than hifishark most of the time from a used market there. Considering unavailability of amps in most other parts of India, if I were you , and if I were really desperate for buying an amp I would have paid a max of 6-7k for it. Pioneer doesn't have the resale value of denon, marantz, sansui and luxman. There amps arw not bad though. 13k is too much.
Thanks. Is there any other website for used amplifiers (5k to 15k)?

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your inputs. I have concluded that, in this situation of mine , it is safer to buy new amplifier. 13k is the last price from dealer.
How do you rate following new amplifiers? Please share your opinions. My room is not medium sized. I am planning to buy B5.2.
1. Pioneer A10E
2. Marantz PM5005
3. Yamaha R-S202

Moved this last question to separate thread

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back