Got me a Audiomods Series V arm

atharva

I've been using a Thorens 160 for some time now. The original TP16 arm was working fine except that it is a low mass arm (7.5gms) and wasn't well suited to the low compliance DL103 I was using. I also read that there was much to gain from replacing the tonearm wires but they are a pain to replace on the TP16.

Besides I couldn't call myself a vinyl lover/DIYer if I didn't undertake any upgrades after 2 years :). I started looking at the Jelco 750 and Rega RB202/RB303 arms. Since this was supposed to be one time (at least that is what I've convinced me better half) I thought why not go a notch above to something serious. Thats when I came across Origin Live and Audiomods. After some research it seemed like both were well regarded but I was swayed towards Audiomods probably because of the good interactions I had with Jeff Spall of Audiomods.

Finally I pulled the plug on the Audiomods and it arrived after a month. The arm arrived beautifully packaged in a box. It is clear that Jeff builds these with lots of care and thought. It doesn't feel like a typical commercial venture. What surprised me is that Jeff includes a bunch of spare parts that one can easily lose! It comes with an adjustible counter weight for heavier carts and headshell shims to make cartridges heavier like the Denon 103. The VTA is easily adjustable. I got it with the silver wire. I also got the Rega armboard for the Thorens and had to machine the suspension plate to mount the Audiomods arm. But it was easy and the arm was mounted within a couple of hours.

I was not able to do a lot of listening as I broke the cantilever on the 103. After an agonising wait I got the DL-103R. The setup sounds awesome. Especially coupled with the newly acquired Maargas. There is better separation of instruments and much better bass. The rest of my chain is the awesome HQMCPS phono and NAD Amp. I was able to borrow an Exposure amp and definitely takes the setup a level up. It is clear that my mid range NAD is now the bottleneck.

A minor issue is that the holes in the counterweight are not machined to precision. They fit but at this price point I'd expect them to be flawless. Jeff was kind enough to offer a replacement.

In conclusion it is a well made arm and looks wonderful. Being medium mass it will match with a lot more carts. It is also covered by a lifetime warranty which can be transfered! Time for some LPs :)

I was never a great fan of TP 16 tonearms. I have one on my Thorens Jubilee turntable. Just fixing a cartridge on these arms can be very frustrating. As you rightly mentioned, you will have limitations in cartridge selections. Just changing the tonearm can make a world of difference as you have experienced. I have always felt that Thorens players are excellent and their weakest link is their tonearms. I think, you made a wise decision to change the tonearm. Happy listening

Here are some pics..

20160508_162151_zpsjjvruzed.jpg

20160919_081259_zpsacpj1gkc.jpg

20160919_080619_zpsqnfvgkf6.jpg

20160510_195222_zps0a0ajcm6.jpg

20160510_112053_zpsr6wrltcf.jpg

Rajiv, to be honest I have only compared this arm with the stock Thorens TP62 arm and that is an unfair comparison. Haven't done a head to head with any other arm. It tracks well and in my opinion extracts good detail using the 103R.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back