Got the first dose of resistance to HT

I may be wrong here ......... just applying logic again.

The low frequencies are not carried to the floor thru the feet of the sub. This is a down-firing sub, where the sound waves generated get a direct access to the floor first before disintegrating or breaking off in different directions after hitting the floor. Possibly, the sound waves are creating a resonance on the 'hit' spot, which is getting carried to the floor below.

It is possible that the effects might be increased now (with the foam) since the gap between the sub bottom and the floor has slightly increased. A 'better' sound wave is now hitting the floor, with the foam on. Quite similar to a bullet being thrown further in a longer barreled gun. So, an insulation at the sub-bottom might be the answer to transmit the energy to the sides instead to the floor. That might reduce the sub performance by a bit, as a part of the energy would be absorbed and killed by the insulation.

Hint - What did hemant recently collect from you? :cool::rolleyes:;)

:p

On a serious note, I think the hard foam pads you have used right now should solve the issue :)

:D:lol::eek:hyeah: Yeah sort of.. Gladly I had a few left over pieces with me.

just applying logic again.

Its no brainer that this thread is bound to get technical. Thanks to Avidyarthy for it :D and I enjoy it too.

Well you do make a lot of sense. What you say is the sound waves are travelling below and I say the sub's vibrations are. Infact, both are correct.
It is impossible to avoid the sound waves travelling through objects but atleast the vibrations from the sub can be?

We have to be clear that all sound is caused by vibrations but here we are talking about the vibrations caused by the sub itself. This was rightly differentiated by audiodelic which I realise a little late (thanks).

Going by your explanation, if I cover the entire bottom surface with the foam, the sound waves from port also gets absorbed, reducing the vibrations caused by soundwaves. True. But soundwaves getting absorbed will reduce the sub's performance also, wouldn't it?

My understanding on vibrations:
The sub's cone is moving with lot of power. Going by Newtons law, every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
That means the weight of the sub (which is applied on the floor) and the feet's grip is countering the cone's force and keeping the sub from slipping.
That obviously means the entire countering force is transmitted onto the floor in the form of vibration. So using a foam kind of dampening material, we are trying to restrict the vibrations from going down.

Denom and audiodelic say it will work. I too believe it will. Lets see. Just waiting for that bugger to turn up.:D

ehehe .... wait!

The sub is made heavy ... why? It is the cone movement which is creating the sound waves, which is moving downwards. The equal and opposite reaction of the cone movement should be up then ... right? So, the real effect of the vibration, if present, should be up and not down ... ok? To curtail the sub to be displaced due to this reactive energy, the sub is made heavy ... else it would have done a lambada. Had the reactive energy be down, then the sub need not have been made heavy ... it would have stood its ground with ease.

These are just the techno points coming over ..... kind of brainstorming, which, personally I love to do. Sorts out lotta difficult situations at godforsaken sites without actually visiting there .......... at work :)

Could be totally in the wrong here ....... :p

Santy,
You are lucky its the neighbours. When I switch my sub on, I get complaints from my own house :-(

Viki

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back