Govt bans duty free TV imports by air travelers from August 26!!!

jsanand

This is a very sad news. If they can't control by other means, importing TV's was left?
I don't understand how will this help the govt in reviving the falling rupee.

You see the number of people importing TV's while travelling in air is very less and this generates a very small percentage of customs duty compared to other products.

I too was planning to procure a 32" LED from grey market. But I dreams are now shattered.
But we must understand one thing here. Every govt needs funds for its running and earns its income through various taxes. Custom duties are one of them. By providing indiviudals some duty free allowance, the govt was only extending a privilege to us. And privileges are first ones to face the axe in tough times and we cannot claim these as our right. The current account deficit crisis is about importing more than exporting. So it is a right step by curbing imports where ever possible.
Now why this crisis has happened in the first place is an altogether different question, I mean corruption, inefficencies, where is our tax money going etc etc and I dont support this govt for its misdeeds.
But macro-economically, this step is in the right direction.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back