GPS functionality on phones

I am looking for a solution that will work out of wireless and cell coverage.

Guess i will have to go for dedicated gps device. Does MMI provide 1:25,000 terrain maps for remote places like Himachal, Sikkim, Arunachal etc? And Western Ghats not part of civilization?

Guess calling them is the only way to find out.

Regards

Guess i will have to go for dedicated gps device. Does MMI provide 1:25,000 terrain maps for remote places like Himachal, Sikkim, Arunachal etc? And Western Ghats not part of civilization?
Regards

Well maps on mobiles would always be dependent on Cell coverage (be it 3G or GPRS) GPS would still work and so maps saved for offline viewing will work as well, but if you want comprehensive, coverage without depending on mobile signals, yea dedicated GPS is the solution.

Depends on the maps. I have no gprs/3g connectivity for my phone, but I still use Nokia Maps and GPS

yea Coz nokia maps can be stored offline, but those maps are very limited in their navigation, for a more comprehensive navigation you have to have something like google map which cannot be stored offline, unless ofcourse you use some TPA as I mentioned......

Sam, how do you mean, "limited"?

If you mean coverage, I'd agree. They become a blank space as soon as I leave the edge of the city. Within the city, though the detail is good.

Sam, how do you mean, "limited"?

If you mean coverage, I'd agree. They become a blank space as soon as I leave the edge of the city. Within the city, though the detail is good.

No not the coverage....I mean yes the coverage is there, but Indian routes itself have so many small key locations that give you an idea if you are on the correct path (plus any one of those small location could also be your destination), Nokia maps are very limited in this aspect, and GM is just superb........when you zoom in to GM, it displays so much information including lots of small locations that are there in that particular route. (For me sometimes it was like.....WTH!!!...how on earth did google map found this route or location)........... You feel comfortable that you are at the right path. Incorporate this with wiki encyclopedia and you get even more information about any key location that fall in your route......When I was in Jaipur I used GM and GPS for my entire trip, with every correct use the confidence level rose with GM and in no time I was like totally dependent on GM for my navigation, places of interest (resturants, Malls etc) and getting information of any major key location (like some known market or Fort).........Nokia Maps were pathetic in that sence infact Nokia Map sometimes fell short of even giveing the right turn. The only thing I missed was voice turn by turn direction, which GM only provides on Andriod platform........apart from this GM is way too ahead in navigation than NM.......

Last edited:
Is there any offline apps for Android phones. I am using HTC Tattoo (Android) with Google Maps and BSNL. But I am not able to use it (No GPRS coverage or very slow) in some parts of Bangalore itself.

Regards

you could try Ozi explorer, which works with winCE IIRC, so should work with most gps standalone units.

the great thing is that it allows you to use calibrated jpgs/pngs as maps. (Scalar maps). there are software that allow you to downlaod googlemap tiles, integrate into a jpg and calibrate it (give ref lat /lon for each corner of the jpg) for use with oziexplorer CE). thee is a freeware programt o convert the jpg into a format the Ozi understands

so if there is a an acceptable googlemaps image if the area you want to visit, you can use it in oziexplorerCE.

i had used it a long time ago, so I know that it works as advertised. they have a working website, check that out for more details

lemme know if you want any more info.

cheers

Kapil

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back