Urgent help needed on buying router during Prime day sale..Three antenna vs four antenna

arnprasad

Hi All,

I have already ordered TP Link Archer C7 and hence urgently need ur advise whether to cancel it and go for a diff model.

I have the Excitel 300 mbps plan which I use purely for entertainment purposes/non-office purposes. Hence although it has its drawbacks in terms of not being up all the time - its ok for home use as its the cheapest by far..I paid 500 +GST on annual basis which is less than half price of what Hathway and ACT Provide.

I currently have a fibre to Pon to router ...the output from the PON box/modem is also PON as input to their router. Hence I cannot use any of the 3rd party routers as they all need RJ-45 as input. I have been trying to contact Excitel customer service to give me some kind of a modem which has a RJ 45 output...but their customer service is useless.

My house is kind of connected/automated in the sense almost all of my electrical switches are controlled by Alexa/Google...a mix of Sonoffs and Tinxys. Plus have few other home automations plus plenty of phones/tablets/laptops/desktops. The wireless part of the Excitel router is giving me problems as its frequently down...although the LAN part works fine. This means most of the time I cannot use my smart speakers to turn on/off.

So I thought my only option is to buy a 3rd party router, take a RJ 45 out of existing router ( apparently one of the ports is a gigabit LAN).

As part of the ongoing prime day sale..I already ordered Archer C7. I bought this instead of my earlier choice of C6 ,because it has a USB port. I currently have a WD EX2 NAS hard drive where all my videos are stored and is accessed by all computers as its mapped as Z drive. This WD is already 5-6 years old plus WD itself has stopped giving it support and it is giving me some problems.

Hence based on my research, I believe we can plug a hard drive to the USB port of the C7 and it can be accessed by all devices. Pls confirm if this is the case so that I can replace the WD with a dumb hard drive connected to C7

Although C7 is 1300 INR costlier than C6, it only has three antenna whereas C6 has Four. Will this make a difference? I live in an independent house of two floors..Ground plus first and I do need a very strong signal so all electrical sockets can get the wifi signal for home automation.

Hence my two main questions are: (a) regarding using hard drive in the USB port and able to access on all computers at home and (b) Whether the three antennas on the costlier model I ordered will give me less range than the 4 antenna of C6.

Also let me know if you suggest any other model below 4K. Hopefully I will get the replies and will be in a position to cancel my order before it is delivered and order again.

Also there is a A7 model which is 600 cheaper...Seems they both are essentially the same except A7 has "virtual server" extra..not sure what it means..Should I buy this one and save 600?

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

Last edited:
(b) Whether the three antennas on the costlier model I ordered will give me less range than the 4 antenna of C6.
The number of antennas has got nothing to do with the performance/range of the router.
If you want a stable connection over an expansive area then look for a mesh device if the budget permits.

Unable to answer your query on NAS.

If you take a RJ45 out of your existing router, then the new router that you plug it into, will have to function in WAP mode (wired access point) - ie it will be a slave. Your current router will remain your router.

I would suggest not to invest in a new router unless you are able to get your broadband provider to change your modem/router to passthrough mode.

If you take a RJ45 out of your existing router, then the new router that you plug it into, will have to function in WAP mode (wired access point) - ie it will be a slave. Your current router will remain your router.

I would suggest not to invest in a new router unless you are able to get your broadband provider to change your modem/router to passthrough mode.
Thanks..Just to clarify..if the new one is in slave mode...can it do the following:

(a) say I name the Wifi name and PW of the new one the same as the wifi name and PW of the old one and then I change the name and PW of the old one. Now all my relays/gadgets will hook on to the new router right? they only look for same name and PW and dont care which router it belongs to? This is the main intent of buying the new router

(b) if I add a hard drive to the USB of the new router...can I map it as new network drive ...say as Y drive and can be accessed by all computers?

I have googled many times to buy a PON input router and no branded ones are available..Is it possible to buy a fiber to RJ 45 device from the market (guess this is technically the modem in my house?) - meaning Can I entirely bypass Excitel Pon box/modem/router and buy my own stuff? Assuming the answer is yes...what do I search on the net for the fiber to RJ45 box?

Photos of what I have is in the link below

Can I buy something like this to link the fibre and take RJ45 out? are all fibres created equal...meaning like fibre from airtel..jio..excitel...they all are same and hence I can buy any third party box?

Last edited:
Thanks..Just to clarify..if the new one is in slave mode...can it do the following:

(a) say I name the Wifi name and PW of the new one the same as the wifi name and PW of the old one and then I change the name and PW of the old one. Now all my relays/gadgets will hook on to the new router right? they only look for same name and PW and dont care which router it belongs to? This is the main intent of buying the new router

(b) if I add a hard drive to the USB of the new router...can I map it as new network drive ...say as Y drive and can be accessed by all computers?

I have googled many times to buy a PON input router and no branded ones are available..Is it possible to buy a fiber to RJ 45 device from the market (guess this is technically the modem in my house?) - meaning Can I entirely bypass Excitel Pon box/modem/router and buy my own stuff? Assuming the answer is yes...what do I search on the net for the fiber to RJ45 box?

A.
Yes you can set the same SSID and password.
But then you do not know which device you are connecting to.

Better to set a new SSID if you specifically want to connect to the new router.
But why do you want to do that ? What is the purpose ?

B.
That depends on the features of the device you buy.
First of all, it should have the ability to function in WAP mode, and not as a router.
I know for sure that all Asus routers have this functionality. Do not know about other brands.

Whether this new router in WAP mode will give you a shared USB network drive functionality - you will need to check the specific brand and model and do some research.

My understanding is that shared USB drives via routers are painfully slow.
The solution is to buy a NAS.
Yes its expensive, but will give you sustained high disk transfer speeds.

You cannot entirely bypass the Excitel box, without the help of your service provider.
AFAIAK - Not possible to buy an off the shelf device which connects to the optical fibre that your ISP has given.

Thanks. I have bought the TP Link C7. Dont feel like cancelling it now.. So let me keep it. Next May my yearly subscription will get over..HOpefully when I shift to other known brands..they will give me a RJ 45 out.

This is what I bought:

I do have the WD Ex2...its power is on red led..needs to be on blue LED..i need to google and fix the issue..but its an old one and if its broke...Guess cannot be repaired. Either I have take the Hard disk out and use it assuming it can be used outside their enclosure...assuming hard drives are broken..then I need to replace them. Let me down their manual and see what REd LED for the power light means..switching it on and off is not helping

I got the following from the WD manual...what does volume mean here? the internal HDD?
Power Up (degraded) Red Flashing Device is powered up but the volume is degraded.

Got my answer..seems one of the HDD is down...need to figure out which of the two and how to take it out.

Last edited:
output from the PON box/modem is also PON as input to their router. Hence I cannot use any of the 3rd party routers as they all need RJ-45 as input.
I’m keen to see this PON and router, can you share a picture here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pls see the techenclave link I posted above. Thanks again for the help!

Also the reason I want to rename the SSID on the new one same as old one is that all my devices will lock on to this SSID. OF course I will change the old ones SSID after I name the new one so that there are unique SSIDs for both the routers. If name a different new SSID on my TP link router, I have to open all my electrical sockets and reset my Sonoff/Tinxy to new SSID. Hence easier to rename the new router on old SSID name and then change the old routers SSID to something different. Hoping this will work

Last edited:
1) Fibre to my home
2) Fibre to my PON box or whatever its called
3) Output from PON box to my router is PON again I am guessing or whatever the NON RJ45 thing is called. Hence input for this router is PON and the router is some unbranded cheap chinese one
4) Given the output RJ 45 slots from my router is limited..I have bought a 8 socket gigabit extender because I need more.
5) I have no issues wherever I use LAN cables - either directly from the router or from the extender. Its the wifi part that gives me the issues.

So the plan is that I will use one output RJ45 of my router and run a cable to the new router. Name the new routers SSID and PW same as old router. Then change the SSID and PW of the old router. I am hoping that all my devices will lock on to the new router automatically without the need for me to reset them as this involves physically opening my electrical box/board.

In the techenclave forum I didnt post photo of my router with PON as input...Let me do it today..

Attachments

• IMG20220723200143 (1).jpg
    IMG20220723200143 (1).jpg
    714.5 KB · Views: 13

1) Fibre to my home
2) Fibre to my PON box or whatever its called
3) Output from PON box to my router is PON again I am guessing or whatever the NON RJ45 thing is called. Hence input for this router is PON and the router is some unbranded cheap chinese one
4) Given the output RJ 45 slots from my router is limited..I have bought a 8 socket gigabit extender because I need more.
5) I have no issues wherever I use LAN cables - either directly from the router or from the extender. Its the wifi part that gives me the issues.

So the plan is that I will use one output RJ45 of my router and run a cable to the new router. Name the new routers SSID and PW same as old router. Then change the SSID and PW of the old router. I am hoping that all my devices will lock on to the new router automatically without the need for me to reset them as this involves physically opening my electrical box/board.

In the techenclave forum I didnt post photo of my router with PON as input...Let me do it today..
Why not post the pic here too ?

Why not post the pic here too ?
Just did..I keep on editing my post even after folks have replied. Pls see the pic in the previous post of my router. As you can see ..input is PON and out is two RJ45 ports..I am hoping one of them is gigabit.

Attachments

• IMG20220723200143 (1).jpg
    IMG20220723200143 (1).jpg
    714.5 KB · Views: 12
3) Output from PON box to my router is PON again I am guessing or whatever the NON RJ45 thing is called.
Interesting! I’ve never seen a router with an OFC snap-in input before.

This will work. Once you change the SSID do a power cycle.

Attachments

• IMG20220723203219 (1) (1).jpg
    IMG20220723203219 (1) (1).jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 12
Addressing your original query as I was confused with your phrasing. Here's where it got confusing, the interchanging use of terminology.

I currently have a fibre to Pon to router ...the output from the PON box/modem is also PON as input to their router. Hence I cannot use any of the 3rd party routers as they all need RJ-45 as input.

• OFC (Optical Fibre Cable) drawn to your home is connected to a Fibre Optic Splitter Box (the white box which you have pictured in your techenclave thread). This is the first point of termination of the OFC in your home.
  • This cable is then terminated to a Single Core Fibre Optic Drop/Patch cable (thin yellow cable) which is inserted into the PON (Passive Optical Network) socket on the ONU (Optical Network Unit/ Optical Modem), which you mentioned as a router, hence my confusion. Although you're not wrong, ONU can also have an inbuilt router functionality (just like your current ONU).

In this case, ONU is the Optical Modem, and the PON Box which you refer to is called the OFC Splitter Box.

I have been trying to contact Excitel customer service to give me some kind of a modem which has a RJ 45 output...but their customer service is useless.
Your modem (ONU) already has an RJ45 output.

If you search for ONU with router functionality you'll get plenty of results, one example being this
It is possible to change the ONU, provided you've taken a screenshot of the device's settings so that you can feed them back on your new device.

Most of these ONUs with Wireless functionality are not the best. You have done the right thing by just getting a new wireless router, it's the easiest fix!

Many thanks!! I need some time to process all this. If nothing works...the RJ45 output from my second device will go into the new router..just hoping its a gigabit out.

Later Tonight will find some 15 mins alone time to read and understand what you wrote :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back