Gramophone! HMV 29 - 1930

Simon Wires

I have a gramophone HMV 29 model, circa 1930's and is in excellent working condition. I bought this from a reliable antique dealer for Rs.35K. I already had some 78RPM records of my father's collection, and its just amazing to play..

few suggestions needed.

1. How I do the preventive maintenance, lubrication etc myself ?
  2. Is there any one in Bangalore who does the service?
  3. Where to source the English 78RPMs and how much it would cost average? Also where do I source the steel needles (pref south india), and how much it cost

Thanks in advance

There's an antiques dealer called Balaji on Avenue Road in Bangalore, who does restoration and servicing of old wind-up gramaphones. He could be a source for the needles and for 78s as well. Don't have his number, but he's opposite the Raymond's shop on the right when you come down from the SB Mysore end. There's a small passageway leading to a building with some sari shop on the ground floor. Balaji is on the 1st floor.

Thanks g4 and sant.. I could figure out the locality is somewhere in Avenue Road side, closer to Mysore Bank circle, as we bangaloreans call it as,.. Thank you

But, I was also on the look out for some one sharing their experience with the gramophone. Where to sources best records .. I picked few from Free School Street , Calclutta paying 150Rs per plate.. Is that expensive.

>>>

78 rpm records will be difficult to trace and buy. Please try your local used recordwallah; most large cities will have a few vendors who sell used records. However,as these were of shellac (most probably) they would likely wear sooner than later.

Also try record vendors on the net by googling. You may also try Elusive Disc & MOFI on the net.

Regards
issigonis

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back