Green Mountain Audio Eos HX

Thanks square_wave, Yes will have to look at the setup when I get time.
For now, I am just observing the speakers.

Bass is everything as you say it is. They easily went down to 40Hz in my room when I ran a freq sweep. Very nice to hear what tight clean bass is without the coloration of the cabinet/enclosure. I haven't done the tweeter adjustment yet but it looks like the existing position works quite nicely in my room just as it is. Will have to play with that next when I get a little time.

The adjustment for the tweeter is easily done this way :

Sit in your listening chair and play just one speaker with music that has lots of mids and highs. A typical Diana Krall should do the trick. Now, loosen the nut that holds the tweeter and get someone to slowly move the tweeter fully forward. In this position, you will be able to visualize the highs and mids as separate entities from the speaker as opposed to a single point source. Now while playing the music, slowly move the tweeter pod backwards till the highs move and settle exactly in the middle of the mid woofer. This will emulate a single point source. The tweeter completely disappears in this position leaving the musicians in the room. Repeat for the other speaker.

Thanks again square_wave! Yes that's the way to go about it.
Easier said than done when you have woolen ears though.

Just took a stab at it and I'm really starting to like the sound more!!
Have some "Hadouk Trio" playing right now. What a trip!

This past weekend I took possession of a pair of Green Mountain Audio Eos HX speakers from a fellow audio enthusiast. This concludes a long search for a speaker for my AP gear which I had got back in 2012. I have posted a few discussions with regard to my speaker search on here some time back but then decided to just leave things as is because I simply wasnt able to get what I was looking for.

great Choice Nikhil..take your time and set it up. once set up wll it will give you years of great music.

Congratulations, Nikhil :clapping:.
Missed the thread earlier.

Thanks bro! How is your search coming along?

Had received some requests for photos of the speakers. Unfortunately my setup is a little messy right now so here are some "strategically" taken side views!
Will put up some more after I clean up.

Setup%20Sideview.JPG

Side%20View.JPG

... and closer view of the speakers mounted on Skyllan stands

For those who were interested in the technical specs of these speakers, I was able to get an update from Roy Johnson the designer of these speakers. Below is a link to my dropbox from where you can view/download a pdf copy of the specs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k56jpd7ajtw1pn6/Eos HX Design Concept.pdf

Hope this link works. Please let me know if it does not.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry nikk..:eek: just saw the pics..

was playing fastest finger first on the laptop ( shooting emails on one window and doing HFV on the other ) :).

is it called work -life balance ?? :lol:

did you get those skyllans from India ?

I like the rack and your place looks "arty" :)

mpw

Thanks bro! How is your search coming along?
Auditions coming up in the next couple of months. Visiting Bangalore, Kochi and Mumbai. This included AP.
Just might visit Hyderabad. Whatever happened to the meet? Maybe I can come across for it if it is still on.

Had received some requests for photos of the speakers. Unfortunately my setup is a little messy right now so here are some "strategically" taken side views!
Will put up some more after I clean up.

The pics are great. Hardly looks messy. Maybe you got the angle just right :lol:.

is it called work -life balance ??

"Work - Life balance" - I like that! And I can relate ....

I got the Skyllans from the previous owner of the speakers.
These are 24" height and are recommended by the speaker designer.
It's a mass loading design with sand filled columns.
There are 4 neoprene de-coupling pads between the speaker and top plate.

Completely different approach from the "rigid design" school of thought.

Great looking setup, Nikhil! The speakers are actually much bigger that I had imagined them to be. That's a very tastefully done up room too.

Somewhat OT: I looked at the specs page of your UPS. I had a few questions about it, if you don't mind:

1) Have you hooked up all of the gear (amps and source) to the APC Smart UPS?
2) The specs say it makes 50dB at 1m. Is the fan (I'm assuming it has one) loud enough to distract?
3) Is it pure sine wave?
4) Are you using the battery that came with it? Is it an internal battery?

Sorry for asking so many questions :eek:

Great looking setup, Nikhil! The speakers are actually much bigger that I had imagined them to be. That's a very tastefully done up room too.

Somewhat OT: I looked at the specs page of your UPS. I had a few questions about it, if you don't mind:

1) Have you hooked up all of the gear (amps and source) to the APC Smart UPS?
2) The specs say it makes 50dB at 1m. Is the fan (I'm assuming it has one) loud enough to distract?
3) Is it pure sine wave?
4) Are you using the battery that came with it? Is it an internal battery?

Sorry for asking so many questions :eek:

Hi Hydra,

No problem at all. Yes the entire rig is running on the APC including the PC.
I've found that it is the best way to keep everything "quiet" electrically.

Yes there is a small amount of fan noise which I have come to terms with.
My plan is to move the APC to another part of the room eventually.
In terms of listening though you can't hear it once the system starts playing.

Yes, it's a sine wave regenerator. How "pure" I have no idea.
It's been a worth a complete component upgrade as far as sound goes.
Without the APC I used to wait for nights to get quiet clean power etc.
Now it's on tap anytime and it has cleaned up the sound immensely.

The APC came with an internal battery pack - about an hour of backup.
We have plenty of power cuts here but this has never been a bother.
This alone has been well worth the dime spent.

Does the UPS come with a 15amp plug?

An hour is an approximate. It really depends on the load.
Can be more ... check the load chart on the spec page.

Yes it come with 15 amps plug.

I like the rack and your place looks "arty" :)

The pics are great. Hardly looks messy. Maybe you got the angle just right :lol:.

Guys thanks for the compliments. All credit to my better half. ;)

Just might visit Hyderabad. Whatever happened to the meet? Maybe I can come across for it if it is still on.

No idea about the meet but you're welcome to drop by.

:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Nikhil! Exactly the Info I was looking for :)

I think relocation would be the best way to deal with the fan noise. One hour of backup should be plenty!

I have a somewhat long term plan of getting my power supply sorted out. I'll probably look at something like this then, and use the UPS with a long power lead to the SoundFoundations Barracuda distribution box.

Does the UPS come with a 15amp plug?

No problem at all. Yes the entire rig is running on the APC including the PC.
I've found that it is the best way to keep everything "quiet" electrically.

Yes there is a small amount of fan noise which I have come to terms with.

In terms of listening though you can't hear it once the system starts playing.

The APC came with an internal battery pack - about an hour of backup.
We have plenty of power cuts here but this has never been a bother.
This alone has been well worth the dime spent.

Its been a similar experience. The APC happened due the addition of AP PM1 Pre as it came recommended. Now my entire system runs via the APC connected to a junction box from Mr Murthy(Bangalore).

Also the place I stay is notorious for power cuts.

Had received some requests for photos of the speakers.
... and closer view of the speakers mounted on Skyllan stands

Just saw this thread.

I looked at the company website, and now these pics: they look so much nicer in real life! The company web page gives no idea of their size or their visual presence.

Nice room too. A haven for fine things!

I noticed that the close up shot of the speaker came out blurred.
Here are some shots of the speaker from front and of the binding posts at the back.

Speaker%20Front.JPG

Speaker%20Binding%20Posts.JPG

Speaker cables have since changed to a spade connector Reference cable from AP.

it is certainly unconventional and quirky looking... almost a martian :)

looking at the way its built and the manufacturers website.. it would be sounding quite nice.

njoi nikhil !!

mpw

Thanks mpw!

Parking meters! That's the thought I had when I first saw them.
However they have a look that somehow works in my room.

The design concept is explained in the pdf on page 4 of this thread. Separation of the HF unit from the mid bass driver is done for two purposes - for time alignment and minimizing the reflection (of the back wave) of all internal surfaces. The external shape of the entire enclosure is designed to minimize reflections coming of the room etc. It results in a sound devoid of box coloration.

Here's the link again: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k56jpd7ajtw1pn6/Eos HX Design Concept.pdf

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back