Green Mountain Audio Eos HX

Nikhil

Staff member
This past weekend I took possession of a pair of Green Mountain Audio Eos HX speakers from a fellow audio enthusiast. This concludes a long search for a speaker for my AP gear which I had got back in 2012. I have posted a few discussions with regard to my speaker search on here some time back but then decided to just leave things as is because I simply wasnt able to get what I was looking for.

As luck would have it these speakers came up for sale some weeks ago and I was very interested mainly because the speakers were being used by a fellow AP gear head. They were being paired with amps that were about as identical to mine as possible Siva having made only a handful. This took away the major headache of amp speaker matching. Still there was the risk of not knowing what these speakers would sound like in my own setup.

It has been three days now since I have installed the speakers with minimal setup. I think I am blessed to have a decent room because the speakers sounded great straight away. The timbre, tonality, dynamic range and transient response typical of AP gear - were intact and conveyed beautifully by the speakers. Straight away I missed the low end of my PSBs which was a small botheration. This is a constant grouse against these speakers.

I am not sure if it was the speaker drivers and cables taking time to settle or the slight toe in that I decided to do to sharpen the soundstage, but all of a sudden the bass came in spades - bass that was tight, precise and fast. These may be standmounts but the bass went down to almost where my PSBs were but with no enclosure resonance or any other coloration. Safe to say that I am now no longer worried about the bass extension on these speakers anymore. They play loud and clear almost relishing the power on tap with the AP gear.

Its early days yet so not much more to comment for now. However I do believe I have found a speaker that fits my taste in music and is a very good match to my existing gear. I will post more as things develop. Green Mountain Audio does not have a presence in India yet so the only available source of information is the company website.

Green Mountain Audio - Eos HD

Note: The above link refers to the Eos HD. The speakers I have have been upgraded by the original owner to the HX version which is a driver + crossover upgrade.

Congrats, Nikhil! They certainly seem to have ticked all the right boxes! :clapping:

They do look very unique. The tweeter unit swivels separately huh? Did you try keeping the lower sections parallel to each other, with just the tweeter units toed-in?

Congrats Nikhil,

Glad you can now finally get down to what you need to do, listen to music!!!

:cheers:

I am not sure if it was the speaker drivers and cables taking time to settle or the slight toe in that I decided to do to sharpen the soundstage, but all of a sudden the bass came in spades - bass that was tight, precise and fast. These may be standmounts but the bass went down to almost where my PSBs were but with no enclosure resonance or any other coloration.

:confused:
I thought you said you bought the speakers pre-used. If yes, what do you mean by "settle"? And if I assume that your cables were also pre-used, then, do you mean the pre-used speakers settling down with your pre-used cables? If yes, all I can say is WOW!!!

The toe-in should not affect the bass at all. There is something else that happened and because I don't doubt your ears, I'm damned if I can even guess what is causing the "bass came in spades" phenomena.

Last edited:
Congrats, Nikhil! They certainly seem to have ticked all the right boxes! :clapping:

They do look very unique. The tweeter unit swivels separately huh? Did you try keeping the lower sections parallel to each other, with just the tweeter units toed-in?

Thanks Hydra! No the tweeter units do not swivel. They are in a linear track that moves them forward/back to properly time align them with the mid/bass woofer.

Congrats Nikhil. Great speakers.

Thanks Prem! I suspect I'm going to get my butt kicked by these speakers down the road. Just enjoying them for now!

:confused:
I thought you said you bought the speakers pre-used. If yes, what do you mean by "settle"? And if I assume that your cables were also pre-used, then, do you mean the pre-used speakers settling down with your pre-used cables? If yes, all I can say is WOW!!!

The toe-in should not affect the bass at all. There is something else that happened and because I don't doubt your ears, I'm damned if I can even guess what is causing the "bass came in spades" phenomena.

Keith my "cable atheist" friend! I guess I left the door "open" a little eh!
Blessed are those who haven't heard and still believe ...

I've just come to find out that leaving cables unused and/or coiled for some time causes a change.
In this case the speakers were not used for about 5 days.
It took some time (about an hour) for them to open up but indeed they did.

Last edited by a moderator:
super. i must come over for a listen

C'mon over buddy! Bring Mrs afj along as well!

Congrats Nikhil,

Glad you can now finally get down to what you need to do, listen to music!!!

:cheers:

Thanks Dave! Appreciate the time you took out to show me around in Mumbai!

congrats nikhil !

enjoy !

do post a pic of your setup.

next year mrs afj would have to bake a different looking cake - a complicated one at that - where the tweeter can be moved front of back depending on the seating position / room.

:))

mpw

congrats nikhil !

enjoy !

do post a pic of your setup.

next year mrs arj would have to bake a differennt looking cake - a complicated one at that - where the tweeter can be moved front of back depending on the seating position / room.

:))

mpw

Thanks mpw! BTW it is Mrs afj ... don't want FMs getting mixed up - especially wives!

Keith my "cable atheist" friend! I guess I left the door "open" a little eh!
Blessed are those who haven't heard and still believe ...

I've just come to find out that leaving cables unused and/or coiled for some time causes a change.
It took some time (about an hour) for them to open up but indeed they did.
Egad!!! Now you have really opened the door wide. Me, I will be watching this thread with great interest but will refrain from posting because i cannot hear "before" and "after" and hence cannot pass judgment. Enjoy the speakers.

Last edited:
Hey Nikhil, first of all congratulations !! They are a pair of fine speakers. I have known those speakers from the day they arrived in Bangalore a few years back.

Play around with placement moving them in and out into the room till you find that fine balance between bass and soundstage when you are seated in the listening chair.

Regarding bass, they will reward you with dynamic contrasts in the bass notes with lot of texture and speed.

Good to see them in your room.

Nikhil...
congrats..for speakers...I can understand the missing low end from PSB and for that price range it is unmatchable.
Thanks for introducing to the new speaker range.

cheers

dheeraj

Congrats on the latest acquisition Nikhil.

In my experience, every time speakers are transported, they take some time to get to the optimum sounding state. May be it has got to do with the constant vibration of the cones during transportation or whatever.

Hey Nikhil, first of all congratulations !! They are a pair of fine speakers. I have known those speakers from the day they arrived in Bangalore a few years back.

Play around with placement moving them in and out into the room till you find that fine balance between bass and soundstage when you are seated in the listening chair.

Regarding bass, they will reward you with dynamic contrasts in the bass notes with lot of texture and speed.

Good to see them in your room.

Thanks square_wave, Yes will have to look at the setup when I get time.
For now, I am just observing the speakers.

Bass is everything as you say it is. They easily went down to 40Hz in my room when I ran a freq sweep. Very nice to hear what tight clean bass is without the coloration of the cabinet/enclosure. I haven't done the tweeter adjustment yet but it looks like the existing position works quite nicely in my room just as it is. Will have to play with that next when I get a little time.

Nikhil...
congrats..for speakers...I can understand the missing low end from PSB and for that price range it is unmatchable.
Thanks for introducing to the new speaker range.

cheers

dheeraj

Thanks dheerajin! Good to see a fellow PSB user. From what I am hearing now with the Eos - the PSBs do get a lot of things right specially the mids. That tweeter in the Synchrony is really good.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back