Greetings to all from a hard core DIYer, but new to this forum

Anyways Steve have you checked the 5751 ?? coz in the latest Pre that Am cooking I planned to use them ! Also want to try some BEL 12AX7's ;)!!

Yes I tried the Mullard and its by far the Best !! haven't tried Telefunken yet will try to get some ! How bout Brimar?? Am getting some of them aswell in coming weeks !!

Regards.

hi soundsgreat,

where are you planning to get your tubes from? i got mine off ebay. viren did mention the bel 12ax7s are quite unreliable, this particular tube. but at the rates you'd get them for here in india i'm sure you wouldn't mind a few going bad :)

have heard only the ge 5751 that came stock with the phonostage but practically everybody and every forum on the net rates the telefunken smoothplates the best. rajiv pointed me in that direction he got them first. they sound quite spectacular.

regards

@Stevie. Yeah....I have been talking to Abhi. That was a typo. It is the 5751's of course :) And 50$ for these one of these oldies are a bit too much too :mad:

@George,
I doing fine.

$50 is quite par for the course. double that for telefunkens :D considering they'll last a while totally worth it!

here's a description of tubes for you
https://www.tubeworld.com/12ax7.htm

regards

Hi,

George, welcome to the forum.All of us will benefit from your experience.

I have heard about your DIY projects from Ashok(Jamshedpur).Would love to listen to your system one day.

Talking about Ecc83 tubes,there is a set of six Mullard/Valvo Ecc83's on Ebay .They are in B'lore. If somebody local can get them (I am not certain what they will finally sell for ) they can save on shipping costs.

6ea Valvo ECC83 tube NOS Mullard Blackburn same batch - eBay (item 290330345860 end time Jul-16-09 20:00:16 PDT)

The seller(Micheal,who I understand is a chef in one of the five star hotels) is one of the biggest vintage audio dealers.He will not sell locally unless the prices are in line with Ebay.He has some amazing stuff he finds all over the country. I know of him because every old tube seller and cinema /studio sound engineer talks about him.He has beaten me to some Klangfilm amps and speakers and some RCA and Westrex field coil speakers in the past.I am not a dealer and cannot afford to buy entire lots as he does.

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
Hi,

I hope we are deviating this thread into a different direction :p !!

where are you planning to get your tubes from? i got mine off ebay. viren did mention the bel 12ax7s are quite unreliable, this particular tube. but at the rates you'd get them for here in india i'm sure you wouldn't mind a few going bad

There's a guy who travels a lot and has promised me to get em on his next visit ;)!!

There's also a BEL variety of the same tube (5751) Original BEL Bulk Pack (100) the guy is quoting a bit high price (260) thats why I kept away from it ! although I want to try one pair sometime just for heck of it !

The seller(Micheal,who I understand is a chef in one of the five star hotels) is one of the biggest vintage audio dealers.He will not sell locally unless the prices are in line with Ebay.He has some amazing stuff he finds all over the country. I know of him because every old tube seller and cinema /studio sound engineer talks about him.

Rajiv I have encountered the same thing,In one of the places where a whole lot of assorted tubes were put on sale he had visited before me and gave his quote :annoyed: !!! but luckily the quote was too low and the seller didn't sell the lot to him :D !!

If some of the folks are interested I can pickup the whole lot and we can each have some tubes of our choice !!

Please PM me if this sounds like a good idea ! Also further we should take this elsewhere according me,as we have already bumped this thread :p!!

Regards.

Soundsgreat-Maybe I will ask you to put me in touch with yoru box supplier for my FR. I asked my computer vendor for a projector mount a couple of days ago, and he quoted the same price. I need a bit of help in deciding whether to mount it on the ceiling or on the rear wall-that gives me two advantages-the signal wiring will only be on the wall, and about 2 ft of extra throw.

Rajiv-Ashok is a very good friend of ours, and so is his wife Yogita.

Keith-Yes.

Hi ,

If some of the folks are interested I can pickup the whole lot and we can each have some tubes of our choice !!

Do you have an approximate idea of what tubes are in that lot?

Regards
Rajiv

soundsgreat: I would like to meet or talk to your ( superlative)enclosure maker if possible re a quote for the Fostex FR system, sometime either next week or the week after-no hurry.

My needs this time are for a tower(the Bob Brines design) around 43 X 10.5 X 10.5 inches, raw box of 18mm MDF and outer skin either commercial or veneered ply with all corners and ( the option of) front baffle made of timber.

I will mount the driver, terminal and baffle step compensator filter, as well as copper wire, though pvc port tube will be fixed by him. Even if you can get me an indicate quote that will be a good starting point.I will provide detailed drawings when required.

This is not my primary system_ I will connect my computer through an AKSA amp and AVA(Audio by Van Alstine solid state or Transcendant Sound valve preamp-both these mfrs have interesting sites btw) to listen to music while working on my computer. All this gear is gathering dust and neds to be pulled out of storage and put to use! Will provide auditions for all of it wne it is up and running.

Hi,

I would like to meet or talk to your ( superlative)enclosure maker if possible re a quote for the Fostex FR system

George I would request you to kindly find some time and visit me,I would prefer to talk in person ! there are some complications hence the request ;)!!

Do you have an approximate idea of what tubes are in that lot?

Rajiv Yes I have managed to write most of tubes numbers,that list is somewhere missing currently :p!! Will surely post once I get it ! but mostly its a mixture of power tubes then pre,then there are some rectifier tubes aswell !!

Regards.

Hi,

Ashok and Gruby something similar has already been discussed here ;)! its an old thread so new members have mostly missed it !!

Please dig and you shall find,if you want you can resurrect it :licklips: !!

Though I'll be mostly missing from it as Am Non...............:p

Regards.

Back