Guidance needed for FS & Sub

Below what frequency does sound lose its directionality? A bookshelf that only does upto 50hz with a sub is no-no for sure. One will lose spatial cues in the critical low mids. Moreover I suspect while a sub might provide the low frequencies, a budget BS + sub will not produce deep rich tones even though you may cover a larger frequency range. If someone can convince me otherwise I will be willing to invest in a sub :)

This has been an discussion I remember we have had before on this forum. I have listened to (and continue listening to) a large number of BS and FS, and frankly I lean more towards FS, particularly for music. The sound stage a pair of FS can create simply because of the amount of air they push can never be matched by a BS. But again this depends upon the type of music you listen to. If you listen to heavy orchestral music with a large number of instruments, an FS has an edge over a BS. A well designed FS can cover whatever advantage a BS has for mid and high frequencies.

I was privy to this at Viren Bakshi's place where I was surprised by the volume and sound stage created by his single driver speakers. Viren explained he has designed and created the speakers to create and expel a large amount of air to create larger and deeper sound stage. The way his speakers rendered the 50 odd man orchestra in 'A Faint Flutter' from Raaga Symphony was impressive, to say the least.

Movies are a different matter altogether. As Vortex and Moser have said, a pair of good bookshelves backed by a good sub will do wonders. I have realised that, for movies, the most important channel is the centre channel. I would go in for as large a centre channel speakers as possible. Even a pair of large FS as fronts will not be able to compensate for a weak centre channel. Bulk of the data is sent to the centre channel and that is where the stress on speaker size and quality has to be focussed.

Cheers

Thanks Venkat,
I was eagerly waiting for you to reply to this thread.
Please suggest your choice of FS for a budget of ~60K.

Also please guide me to some link where soundstage & imaging are explained.
Best Regards.

Thanks Venkat,
To make my life easy, please answer this one:
Which speakers(of the ones you mentioned) would you buy with a budget of max 60K(for 2 fronts) for a 5.1 setup for 22'x20' room & 60:40 Music-Movies preference.
Also you included 33i and not 34/35i. Any particular reason.
Thanks & Regards.

Which speakers(of the ones you mentioned) would you buy with a budget of max 60K(for 2 fronts) for a 5.1 setup for 22'x20' room & 60:40 Music-Movies preference.

Shagun, it will not be right on my part to tell you which speakers to buy. Let me list the speakers in an order that will help you audition and decide.

• EPOS M22i
  • Dali Ikon 6 (75K)
  • Monitor Audio Silver RS6 (80K)
  • B&W 684 (70K)
  • Mission M33i
  • Wharfdale 9.5 or 9.6 (Around 35/40K)
  • KEF IQ50 (45K)
  • MS Mezzo 6 (75K)

Also look at Acoustic Energy's Aegis Neo. The Neo 3 are largish FS speakers that deliver music and movie sounds with good authority.

Also you included 33i and not 34/35i. Any particular reason.

Simply because for the price, the 33i sounds much better than the other two. The 34 and 35 may be a bit bass heavy and do not have the transparency of the 33. Though they will serve well for movies, your stress is on music and need speakers that can deliver with clarity and no colouration.

Cheers

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back