Guidance on buying a Home Theatre System

pksc76

I am planning to buy a Home theatre system for my living Room which is 14' X11' and I have already purchased a Sony Bravia 40" LCD TV. I am very fond of listening to Western Music(Rock and Country) and watching movies and this room shall be my Entertainment zone with a Budget of Rs. 1.5 Lakhs.
Please advise me for what configuration and options I should choose from.

I am planning to buy a Home theatre system for my living Room which is 14' X11' and I have already purchased a Sony Bravia 40" LCD TV. I am very fond of listening to Western Music(Rock and Country) and watching movies and this room shall be my Entertainment zone with a Budget of Rs. 1.5 Lakhs. Please advise me for what configuration and options I should choose from.

Sigh, here we go again.

pksc76, there are a number threads where HT configuration for your budget have been discussed. Please browse through them and come back if you need any specific information.

For 1.5 lakhs you can configure a good system with front floor standing speakers that will be good for your music listening. I would also suggest you allocate some 20K for a decent CD Player so that you can enjoy your music. You budget should go like this:

AVR 40-50K
Speakers 60-60K
DVD P 10K
Cables 10K
CDP 20K
Power conditioning 15K

Cheers

pksc76,

Movies - For 40K get an Onkyo 5100, will do great for movies unless you're looking for Blu-Ray and HD Audio.

Music - Great if you have a PC, otherwise get one. Get an Asus Xonar Sound Card, a good DVD Writer, and even decent powered speakers like Audioengine A5 to go with the PC. Then get freeware like EAC and cPlay and you're all set to have the best experience in terms of music. I'm not kidding, CDs ripped in FLAC, played on cPlay with even decent speakers and a good sound card will give better SQ than any unit you can assemble i.e. not a PC.

@Venkatji - I'm surprised you're still recommending a CDP? Just kidding!!! But I'm sold on cPlay, been blasting it for hours and music is absolutely divine. Really music to my ears and literally.

@Venkatji - I'm surprised you're still recommending a CDP? Just kidding!!! But I'm sold on cPlay, been blasting it for hours and music is absolutely divine. Really music to my ears and literally.

A PC based solution is not for people who are not very well versed with PC/Hardware/Software. The solutions are not matured enough to be a 'fit and forget' option. We are all seasoned in PCs and can install, format, de-install, and try various options.

For people just jumping into HT and audio, I think a DVD, CDP based solutions are yet the best bet.

Cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back