Guide me to a good speaker setup-- beginner level

abhayvir

Hi,

I need some guidance in choosing a speaker setup.

I'm not an audiophile, but then I do appreciate good sound. Especially vocals, and I don't like too much bass. I need to buy a simple yet good quality speaker setup for my study+guest room 15ft X 12ft. The room is equipped with a normal LED television and a desk where I work on my computer.

I spend about 3-4 hours in the room on daily basis. While working I use my Sennheiser HD 4.20s headphones to listen to music. My computer and my phone are paired with my JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth speakers. In addition, I also own the Sa Re Ga Ma Carvaan Bluetooth mp3 player. This should give you an idea about my novice status in audio listening.

I wish to buy a good set of speakers mainly for music listening which are much better than what I currently have. I have visited a few stores, listened to the various speaker brands and even researched online. The sellers did tell me a lot about the right sound, quality etc, but I guess my ears aren't up to those standards. I can only notice the fine difference when someone tells me, hence expensive setups, DACs, etc are not on my list. I think I need more exposure to good sound first before moving into this space.

After much consideration, I've selected the following as my all-rounder setup. Please advice which ones will provide me with the best experience.

Edifier R1700bt & Edifier R1280db- I liked the sound, the looks and that they have Bluetooth. I actually have an exact place to even keep them in the room right under my wall mounted TV. I found that they sound nearly the same most of the time, but I prefer the looks of R1700bt. In my office, a colleague has an Edifier computer speaker on his desk and they are decent.

Polk Audio T15 & Pioneer SP-BS22-LR- I've not listened to them. But I read great reviews about the two. I couldn't find them in stores but they are being sold online for around Rs.15,000 which is my maximum budget. I've had very good Pioneer system in my car so I can relate with the brand and also that I've seen high-end Polk Audio speakers in showrooms. These are top brands so I kind of feel safe.

Mackie CR4BT- I've not listened to this exact model, but I've listened to this brand in a recording studio. In that environment, I loved those speakers. Maybe they were a different model, I don't know. But when I saw these available online I thought I'd put them in the list and ask the experts. Online reviews were just above average as studio equipment, but good for normal listening as is my case.

I'm not very fond of soundbars so did not even consider them. Also, my faith in consumer brands such as Panasonic, Sony etc for speakers is low, hence did not consider those either. My friends suggested some lesser known brands like Energy Sistem but I'd reserve my consideration on these.

So, these are my choices and your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S.- While searching online, I came across this brand Thonet & Vander. They seemed great and their pricing was very attractive too. If possible can you please tell me a little about their Laut 2.1 speaker system.

The speakers you have shortlisted, some of them are active speakers and others are passive. If you go with Polk T15 and SP-BS22, you will need an amplifier to drive them. Since you have mentioned 15K is your max budget, you can go with a entry level class D amplifier, like allo, smsl, dayton audio etc.

Speakers are the most important components in an audio chain, do auditions as much as possible before you select one. Also look at classifieds section to see whether there is something which looks interesting nearby you

Hi,

I'm not an audiophile, but then I do appreciate good sound. Especially vocals, and I don't like too much bass. I need to buy a simple yet good quality speaker setup for my study+guest room 15ft X 12ft. The room is equipped with a normal LED television and a desk where I work on my computer.

I spend about 3-4 hours in the room on daily basis. While working I use my Sennheiser HD 4.20s headphones to listen to music. My computer and my phone are paired with my JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth speakers. In addition, I also own the Sa Re Ga Ma Carvaan Bluetooth mp3 player. This should give you an idea about my novice status in audio listening.

I wish to buy a good set of speakers mainly for music listening which are much better than what I currently have. I have visited a few stores, listened to the various speaker brands and even researched online. The sellers did tell me a lot about the right sound, quality etc, but I guess my ears aren't up to those standards. I can only notice the fine difference when someone tells me, hence expensive setups, DACs, etc are not on my list. I think I need more exposure to good sound first before moving into this space.

After much consideration, I've selected the following as my all-rounder setup. Please advice which ones will provide me with the best experience.

Edifier R1700bt & Edifier R1280db- I liked the sound, the looks and that they have Bluetooth. I actually have an exact place to even keep them in the room right under my wall mounted TV. I found that they sound nearly the same most of the time, but I prefer the looks of R1700bt. In my office, a colleague has an Edifier computer speaker on his desk and they are decent.

Polk Audio T15 & Pioneer SP-BS22-LR- I've not listened to them. But I read great reviews about the two. I couldn't find them in stores but they are being sold online for around Rs.15,000 which is my maximum budget. I've had very good Pioneer system in my car so I can relate with the brand and also that I've seen high-end Polk Audio speakers in showrooms. These are top brands so I kind of feel safe.

Mackie CR4BT- I've not listened to this exact model, but I've listened to this brand in a recording studio. In that environment, I loved those speakers. Maybe they were a different model, I don't know. But when I saw these available online I thought I'd put them in the list and ask the experts. Online reviews were just above average as studio equipment, but good for normal listening as is my case.

I'm not very fond of soundbars so did not even consider them. Also, my faith in consumer brands such as Panasonic, Sony etc for speakers is low, hence did not consider those either. My friends suggested some lesser known brands like Energy Sistem but I'd reserve my consideration on these.

P.S.- While searching online, I came across this brand Thonet & Vander. They seemed great and their pricing was very attractive too. If possible can you please tell me a little about their Laut 2.1 speaker system.

Given space and budget constraints.....look at the Edifiers or look at Swans (See Amazon)....these should work well...

If the preowned route....see OLX or Classifieds on this website...

I need to buy a simple yet good quality speaker setup for my study+guest room 15ft X 12ft. The room is equipped with a normal LED television and a desk where I work on my computer.

Rs.15,000 which is my maximum budget.

Keep away from these powered speakers, not that these are bad choices but because they offer very limited connectivity options.. There is no remote to switch inputs..

You can do a decent desktop stereo set-up for 15K (or) under 15K.. You may consider SMSL Q5 Pro on Aliexpress, a tiny amplifier which can neatly sit / hide on a desktop with multiple connectivity options PC/Laptop - USB input, optical, co-axial, a handy remote all for approx 10K imported to India (after all duties).. You can connect your mobile as well with this amp thru micro USB..

Here is the link to the amp - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SMS...lgo_pvid=a94fd5d9-bec4-42d9-b599-1dfbeeb1601b

Few more models FX Audio D802 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FX-...lgo_pvid=433fb331-75ca-46de-b4d5-3683317ff42c

For speakers you may consider Taga Harmony TAV 806S on amazon.in for 7.5K - https://www.amazon.in/Taga-harmony-...5?ie=UTF8&qid=1550034481&sr=8-5&keywords=Taga

This set-up is far better than powered speakers in terms of connectivity and power output..

I have been using the SMSL Q5 Pro for sometime on my desktop along with Taga Harmony Platinum S90 SL for sometime and happy with it..

@abhayvir What you need is simplicity sans wires.
I suggest you look at compact active speakers with inbuilt bluetooth.

Some suggestions include Edifier as you have already seen, Swans, Audio engine, taga harmony TAV-500B etc.

Do not look at components of separate amplifier, source, speakers etc..as it will become a never ending journey.

For an upgrade, you may add a decent DAC like Audioquest dragonfly or something similar.

Last edited:

this is a good deal. It has one optical input. Apart it has bluetooth and subwoofer output if you want to add an active subwoofer in the future.

this is a good deal. It has one optical input if you want to go for a dedicated DAC in the future. Apart it has bluetooth and subwoofer output if you want to add an active subwoofer in the future.

Optical input means there is a built-in DAC. In case of a dedicated DAC he has to use the Analog RCA inputs to connect the DAC's output

I'm not an audiophile, but then I do appreciate good sound. Especially vocals, and I don't like too much bass. I need to buy a simple yet good quality speaker setup for my...
It's interesting how you claimed not being an audiophile. The fact that you are here, asking these questions, or the simple interest to even care to, want to, hear your music in the best way possible makes you an audiophile by default! Own it.
Here are some guys echoing the same, by Audiophiliac, Zero Fidelity etc., for example.
Just a curious observation. Certainly didn't mean it in a bad way. It's okay to be an audiophile.
PS: Already decent suggestions made by our fellow members on your budget range above. Happy auditioning!

Audition audition audition - thats the mantra. Whats good for your ear may not be good for others and vice versa. Believe in your ears and nothing else :)
Try your luck at http://www.hifimart.com/ as well. You may get some options for excellent speakers as well as entry level amplifiers there. Good brands like wharfedale, mission, TAGA, BA etc publish offers there once a while

Hi,

I was in a similar situation in October last year. Started out with the same budget as yours. But then I decided to wait to save up and got Dali Zensor 1 speakers with Marantz PM5005 amp last month.
I love this setup. Perfect for the room I have.

If you want to go in powered speakers route, I'd suggest Edifier 1280 and such. Mackie CR4 and CR5 great too. But they are reference monitors. Meaning, they will not make anything sound better than it is. Mistakes in recording and mixing will be audible. So if you're planning to listen to only music on these speakers, it should be fine and also work wonders with some recordings. But if you're going to watch TV or YouTube videos with Mackies, they will sound as good as the source of sound. If you're watching news on your TV connected to reference monitors, Arnab Goswami will sound shittier than Ravish Kumar :p

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back