Gully Boy : Spotlight on Indian Rap

Nikhil

Staff member
Gully Boy has really placed the spotlight on Indian rap music. After seeing the movie one of the first things that came to my mind was if gully rap really was a thing or was it just a Bollywood creation. After spending the last few days looking up Youtube I was surprised to see that there has been a nascent rap scene out of the streets of Mumbai.

Here are some videos that I have been seeing and will leave you to make your own impression about the whole thing ...

I then found these videos which is obviously driven by the Gully Boy media hype - but still the guys that are rapping in them are absolutely legit. To me seeing and hearing rap in Hindi or Tamil is absolutely amazing. Really looking forward to see what comes out of all this.

Chandan Shetty is very talented and hugely popular Kannada rapper in mainstream music in recent years. He also won the Big Boss Kannada show last year. Some of his songs have started to feature in movies.

Hi Nikhil, there is an underground rap scene in Mumbai

As much as I have been visiting Mumbai I just did not see it. But now that I am digging it looks like things have been happening for a while. And it is an authentic rap scene with some great stories. Lyrics are hard hitting and "tight" - a clear sign that these guys have been sharpening their skills for a while.

With a global society out there with such a free flow of information it is amazing to see these guys add their unique style and perspective to the mix.

Chandan Shetty is very talented and hugely popular Kannada rapper in mainstream music in recent years. He also won the Big Boss Kannada show last year. Some of his songs have started to feature in movies.

Hmmm ... I guess Chandan Shetty follows the Honey Singh / Badshah school of bling rap.
Didn't hold my interest past the first few seconds into the video.

21 years ago, in the movie Bombay Boys, Javed Jeffrey sang this. Call it Rap or Hip-Hop, but it's really well done. Lyrics far more imaginative than the Gully Boy ones.

Kishore are you suggesting that that is better than this?

No Nikhil, not judging which is better. That's pretty a matter of taste. The JJ song isn't even fully rap. Just that it was 21 years ago and i enjoyed it when i was more in the mood for such stuff

@Nikhil
While you are digging stuff about Bombay rap scene, lookout for Divine and Naezy on YT. They were the inspiration behind the movie. Though, it is not a biopic of either as claimed by few media outlets.

Here is the original version of Meri Gully Mein (Divine feat. Naezy)

@Nikhil
While you are digging stuff about Bombay rap scene, lookout for Divine and Naezy on YT. They were the inspiration behind the movie. Though, it is not a biopic of either as claimed by few media outlets.

Yes I did know that because of all the info out there on the movie. But I also found some more newer rappers as well.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back