hand-held drill

suri

Hi all,

i need to buy a hand held drill - cordless or wired - does not matter - should i buy Black & Decker, hitachi professional, else...................?

which is as reliable as a toyota or a honda or a mercedes?

I have been using a wired Bosch drill for the last 8 years and it has never failed me - They have a cheaper version for home use now branded as "Skil". I have a Skil wireless screwdriver which also has worked great...

Last edited:
Holes are always round with any drill as it is the bit that governs it. Jokes apart, a choice of drill is to be decided with duration of operation ( Both continuous and intermittent ), the dust protection for the motor, weight bias when holding ,etc.,

... Actually, it is the way you hold it that determines how round the holes are*!

And hey, depth counts too :eek:hyeah:!

Seriously. Mines a Bosch. Don't use it oten, but it always works when I do, and has done for, hmmm... certainly over ten years.

Have a Dremel too. Whilst I find Dremel quality to be decidedly amateur, it is still pretty useful when needed.

Among the most useful drills I have are hand-held manual jeweller's drills which work by pushing the handle up and down a shaft which the rotates. Supposed to use spear-head bits, as it rotates both ways, but will work with twist bits. Have drilled small holes in materials from wood, plastic, to silver and gold with these.

*ok, as well as the bits. The hole won't be round if the bit is sharpened off centre.

You should go for Bosch Suri. The motor on these Boschs are very good. Even when they are drilling through a wall, they sound like there is not much stress on the motor. They don't make the B&Ds the way they used to.Get one with Hammering capability if you intend to use it for drilling holes in walls too.

There is another Bangalore-based brand called Electrex. These are really Heavy Duty and easily servicable. They are very popular among Carpenters and other construction workers.

ur

I suggest you also consider a cordless screwdriver, they are easy to use for mounting drivers and terminals, unlike the heavier duty pistol types which are more for industrial type applications. I bought one from the US( B & D) and find it easy to use. My friend Philip Isaacs uses a cordless drill-cum-screwdriver-I think it is a two speed and says he will not go back tot he manual screwdrivers anymore. Of course for such a product you also need the appropriate set of bits.

Geore

My dad has his little tool house where he spends a lot of time. All his power tools are from Bosch. They have been serving him (and neighbors) well for decades I think. I however use a Makita cordless for occasional household diy stuff.

ur

I suggest you also consider a cordless screwdriver, they are easy to use for mounting drivers and terminals, unlike the heavier duty pistol types which are more for industrial type applications. I bought one from the US( B & D) and find it easy to use. My friend Philip Isaacs uses a cordless drill-cum-screwdriver-I think it is a two speed and says he will not go back tot he manual screwdrivers anymore. Of course for such a product you also need the appropriate set of bits.

Geore
Even I need to get one of these. Just like Philip, two of my friends own the Bosch Cordless screwdriver cum drill and swear by it. Again, I would recommend the Bosch because it can accept small sized drill bits apart from screw bits whereas the B&D you have fixed size hexagon bits. The Bosch comes in a nice tin box and costs around 2k INR.

I suggest you also consider a cordless screwdriver, they are easy to use for mounting drivers and terminals, unlike the heavier duty pistol types which are more for industrial type applications. I bought one from the US( B & D) and find it easy to use. My friend Philip Isaacs uses a cordless drill-cum-screwdriver-I think it is a two speed and says he will not go back tot he manual screwdrivers anymore. Of course for such a product you also need the appropriate set of bits.George

Hi George,

i have a cordless screwdriver which, as you say, is indispensable for the work you have mentioned.

the one of the left, i bought 10 years ago, it is now out of action
the newer one is 2 years old (bought on S.P. road) and has torque control.

i had a nice drill (black and decker) which was borrowed by my carpenter a week ago - when he came for work day before yesterday, he arrived sans drill! - and thus my need for a new drill!!:sad:

regards

Now a days all these brands seems good, but can check on how comfortable you would be for normal use - diffrentiations can be based on vibration absorbtion, handle grip,hammering(good for drilling in concrete ),variable speed(screw/drill) -as suggested by GeorgeO etc.

next would be - powered or wireless : go wireless if you need to avoid wire mess around your work place.

next will be the drill bits - they come in diffrent sizes and for diffrent uses( wood/concrete)

I've been using B&D for over 3 years ( among others - Bosch,Eletrex ), but use bosch dirll bits.

I use a B & D...it gets the job done..has seen a lot of use in the last 2 years i've had it and still goes strong.

Myself too have Kaale aani Dukkar ( black and decker -marathi name) ! it is indian version (ithink bajaj b &d)

although never failed I feel bausch build is better.B&D is not very stylish :licklips::licklips:also have fancy for cordless drills!

There is other brand of Bausch called Skil - worth a try!

Black N Decker also has a premium brand called De Walt-But it is claimed it is re badged B&D onley

When I was a kid, my dad used to give me only this one to play around. No powertools!

1ead40609d039e5462f2257a4a340edd_926.jpg

and this, unleash_me

my grandfather (father's side) had an extensive collection of hand-held (mechanically leveraged) tools (including a rotary blower) - but i had only one!:)

i inherited all those tools, and gave up on the other!

Suri, you need another hand-held drill?
it looks to me as you are changing from vinyl to CDs:D

Suri

I am tempted to make a trip to Kannur and see what is any of those are still around. My wife and I plan a trip by car to Goa and down the western coastal highway, sometime around mid Feb. Plan was to return to Bangalore from Mangalore, but hey I just might extend it to Kannur!

Philip Isaacs has a Skil unit with torque control and it works very nicely. I find that the "pencil" type grip works very well, in contrast to the "pistol" type for audio mounting duty.

George

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back