Handling charges for DutyFree goods removed on 20north

rydhun

If you've browsed around 20north, you might have noticed that there was a DutyFree option for items below a certain price. When you added the items to the cart however, a Handling charge used to get added to the Price. This handling charge used to be 20-25% of base price and IMO, was often a Deal Breaker. This Handling charge for Duty Free items has now been removed.

Source: Email from 20north, I verified online.

Cheers!

Sanjay is right. The Items below Rs.10,000/- can be imported duty free. However Custom people are free to charge duty if they feel like.

could you please educate me what kind of items are duty free?

Items under $200/INR 10,000. Source: Shop in the US from India @ 20North - Millions of products, Thousands of brands & Shop in the US from India @ 20North - Millions of products, Thousands of brands

The Customs rules for this are at: http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cst-0809/cs-gen131-141.pdf (Refer to General Exemption #138)

But I read in some forum posts (can't locate exact posts now) that:
a. The payment for DutyFree goods needs to be via PayPal or some special means (US Credit Card etc.)
b. There have been cases where these Duty Free gifts have been withheld by Customs
c. 20north doesn't provide buyers any Customs/declaration certificates on purchase, which are key documents.

If you search around the forum for keyword 20north, you might find more details on this.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi Guys

I had one query on buying through 20North - Does it get delivered on my doorstep by someone or do i need to go to the Cargo terminal and get it for myself?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back