Handycam - PAL or NTSC for use in India?

heliumflight

Hi Friends,

Need your advise on a purchase. I saw a handycam on amazon.com which is priced much lesser than what I can get in India. I want to know if it's ok buying the handycam from US which would have NTSC recording system. Would there be a problem as I would be using the handycam in India which supports PAL recording system? I did a research on the internet and got mixed responses. Some people say that it doesn't matter as all the new HD LCD/LED TVs support both NTSC and PAL systems. Some said there would be a problem in creating DVDs as NTSC recorded videos would have a different Region code and DVD players in India won't play those. Does it really matter? I have a NTSC WD TV Live Hub media player. I would upload all the videos shot with the handycam on my media player's built in hard drive. Do I need to care for the recording system - PAL or NTSC for this use?

I also read on the internet that there would be issues with the repair in India because manufacturer would have parts which are compatible with PAL system only and no one would be able to repair my handycam as it would be NTSC version. I have no knowledge about PAL or NTSC recording systems. Has PAL or NTSC system anything to do with the hardware?

Please suggest if I it's ok to buy an NTSC Handycam from US or not. I won't have cared much if the price difference was marginal. I am getting the handycam at a price difference of 10K.

Your inputs will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--
helium

Theoretically PAL. Practically, both will work. Most TVs sold in India are multi-system. NTSC will most likely work. Additionally, NTSC is superior to PAL is certain ways. So advantage NTSC.

Can't say for sure, but I'd hope not. If I were to guess it's to do with the software rather than the hardware. But I don't have 100% confirmed info on this. Only the service and support personnel of that specific company can give a 100% reliable info on this.

I have a very old Sony handycam brought from US. It works flawlessly when connected to any TV. Only issue is that I cannot record a TV broadcast program on the handycam using its Video In because it is NTSC while TV broadcasts in India are PAL.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back