Has anyone heard speakers from www.corrson.com

anm

they have TC2 FS and PR1 FS listed at 18k and 33k respectively.
Does anyone own them? Has anyone heard them? Are they worth buying?

they have TC2 FS and PR1 FS listed at 18k and 33k respectively.
Does anyone own them? Has anyone heard them? Are they worth buying?

You would need to assemble them. Corrson are known for their DIY kits. For the said price you would get Wharfedale 9.x series which will serve most purposes for movies/music...

BTW, I have not heard them.

Corrson uses Vifa drivers and hi-end components and proven designs even for their entry level kits.
The entry level kits are far better than speakers like wharfedale. You need good partnering equipment though.

which wharfdale model and in what range? 18k or 33k?

Wharfedale 9.1 will be starting around 13K or so. Not sure of current, but was quoted Wharfedale 9.5 around 33K or that might have been Wharfedale 9.6, will check and get back to you, a friend picked them up last month.

BTW square_wave seems to know better here so better go with him and others. Not much into DIY myself so cannot really comment.

Branded low/mid budget speakers are made to a certain target audience taking into account typical partnering equipment they will use with the gear. They will work very well at that level. The speakers will mask problems with budget level equipment and give you a pleasing sound. But if you upgrade the rest of your equipment, you may need to upgrade the speakers too because the speakers will not resolve details as you move up the ladder.
Corrson speakers use a very revealing design with high quality crossover components and vifa drivers. If you have good equipment, it will resolve details but with very low end gear it will not mask flaws.
Av Gear at least mid-level Marantz, Denon, CA
Stereo Most hi-end will work very well.

moserw - thanks!
I am currently in many minds - whether to spend a lot and be done with my quest. Or should I begin with cheaper one, and then move towards more expensive gear. Journey seems more exciting than the destination. Though this route no doubt will be more expensive. But I want to understand why costs are so high on some components and do they matter for mass users like me - who enjoy music even on my "low end?" onkyo 3100 HTIB (hope I remember the number correctly).

sq wave - can you please provide model numbers and costs too? How about Marantz PM4001 which someone here quoted for 13k?

moserw - thanks!
I am currently in many minds - whether to spend a lot and be done with my quest. Or should I begin with cheaper one, and then move towards more expensive gear. Journey seems more exciting than the destination. Though this route no doubt will be more expensive. But I want to understand why costs are so high on some components and do they matter for mass users like me - who enjoy music even on my "low end?" onkyo 3100 HTIB (hope I remember the number correctly).

sq wave - can you please provide model numbers and costs too? How about Marantz PM4001 which someone here quoted for 13k?

You are welcome. You, me and everybody else will never be done, at least not in the AV world. Just go along with what you can afford. The upgrades will come no matter what so better get the best you can right now and then later upgrade as technology improves and you have more money.

I agree with Moser here.
If you planning for a sub 15k amplifier, it is better you look at entry level speakers like wharfedale , Monitor audio bronze, Acoustic energy etc.Find a combo that excites you and be done with it.
I have pair of acoustic energy speakers which used to sell for some 16k paired with a marantz pm66 amplifier sitting in my living room with my lcd tv. I have another pair of speakers made by Corrson in my bedroom. The difference is mind boggling. It is as if Diana krall is suffering from the flu and a blocked nose when I listen to her in the acoustic energy.The grand piano sounds like it is some cheap casio. But then it is okay for the LcdGood bass and punch when I hear compressed sound from dvds :cool:

Last edited:
square wave - make a suggestion then what should it be paired with!
Which corrson do you have and what have you coupled it with?

BTW []~Are you associated with corrson?

I agree with Moser here.
If you planning for a sub 15k amplifier, it is better you look at entry level speakers like wharfedale , Monitor audio bronze, Acoustic energy etc.Find a combo that excites you and be done with it.
I have pair of acoustic energy speakers which used to sell for some 16k paired with a marantz pm66 amplifier sitting in my living room with my lcd tv. I have another pair of speakers made by Corrson in my bedroom. The difference is mind boggling. It is as if Diana krall has is suffering from the flu and a blocked nose when I listen to her in the acoustic energy.The grand piano sounds like it is some cheap casio. But then it is okay for the LcdGood bass and punch when I hear compressed sound from dvds :cool:

Last edited:
square wave - make a suggestion then what should it be paired with!
Which corrson do you have and what have you coupled it with?

BTW []~Are you associated with corrson?

I am not associated with Corrson commercially. The designer is a friend and I am one of the oldest customers.
I have the MS 301 speakers from the monitor series. I picked this up after direct A/B comparison with the quad 22L, dynaudio audience 52se (this one was pathetic) and some other speakers costing around a lakh
Acoustic Portrait
I have the Corrson speakers paired with an Odyssey stratos power amp and a Tube preamplifier by Corrson. The source is an Arcam cd player.
For stereo applications, Arcam, CA, Plinius, Primare, Marantz, Odyssey, Diy.there are lots of possible combinations.

The Corrson kits are very similar in quality. (Corrson and acoustic portrait are the same company). I have heard the kits which were usually paired with CA electronics as a cost effective solution and they sound very natural and musical. I used to own the diamond 8.4 and 8.2 from wharfedale before. The corrson kits are far better. I do not know model numbers and such. Why dont you visit them in Bangalore and check it out. I heard that they were moving away from low cost kits and focusing more on hyper-hi-end diy. They may have some of the older gear in stock. You could check.

[email protected]
Name of the person is Siva.

Last edited:
I am currently in many minds - whether to spend a lot and be done with my quest. Or should I begin with cheaper one, and then move towards more expensive gear.

Always - start with what you can afford and slowly build the component in a system and then buy/sell over time.

Never, never spend more than you can afford and never think that you will be done if you made a big purchase. The upgrade bug is very unrelenting.

Over the last 10-12 yrs, I have configured only 2 complete systems for myself. Most times I change one component. Makes it easier on the wallet (and family and myself) as well as you pick and choose a better component than few cheapy ones.

The way I go about this is to budget for something a few months away and save monthly to reach the target. This way you will not feel the punch right away. Many times I have changed my mind in the process of saving from buying the component.

thanks []~ and marsillian.

Any feedback on their TC1, TC2 or PR1 kits? I think I will be able to afford TC1 or TC2 only for my first kit project.

regards

It is as if Diana krall is suffering from the flu and a blocked nose when I listen to her in the acoustic energy.The grand piano sounds like it is some cheap casio.

dynaudio audience 52se (this one was pathetic)

AEs & Dynes cannot be that worst...never...

[]~ (that's how I write square wave)

any experience with the kits I mentioned above?

regards

Hi Anm,
I have heard these kits in the demo room once. I do not remember the model numbers. I guess you will need to hear them yourself:)

AEs & Dynes cannot be that worst...never...

It depends on what you compare them to and what you look for. I had the audience 52se at my home while I was doing the home demo of the MS 301. Dynaudios start sounding nice from the contour series onwards. I personally like them only upwards from confidence series. The AE is in my home right now and this is common exercise we do usually when comparing hi-end diy to commercially available mass-market hifi. There is nothing wrong with commercial brands as long as you are willing to pay a lot of money and buy from the higher series.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back