Hathway ground loop issue?

Join HiFiMART Telegram Channel for offers & deals

smnrock

Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2009
Messages
70
Points
8
Location
blr
Hi all,

I'm facing ground loop issue(horizontal bands) in my hathway STB if i connect through composite and this issue is not there if i use RF from STB. Its really irritating to watch TV with these horizontal lines especially in darker scenes. So as of now i'm not using earth-pin in my PV80D to avoid this issue. But i'm not sure how much it is safe using pv80D without earth pin. And my cable guy doesnt know how to solve this issue. Any other solution for this?
 

ishlesh

Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2006
Messages
45
Points
8
Location
Gurgaon
Hi all,

I'm facing ground loop issue(horizontal bands) in my hathway STB if i connect through composite and this issue is not there if i use RF from STB. Its really irritating to watch TV with these horizontal lines especially in darker scenes. So as of now i'm not using earth-pin in my PV80D to avoid this issue. But i'm not sure how much it is safe using pv80D without earth pin. And my cable guy doesnt know how to solve this issue. Any other solution for this?

Pls use a high quality RCA Cable (MX/ DAC/ Profigold/ Bandridge). I faced the same problem, and I was the one who gave solution to cablewala.
 

hemantwaghe

Banned
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
3,659
Points
0
I suffered from speaker noice
so I used MX Lightning cum High energy surge protector MX-1629 ( packet also shows 1631,1630,1632,1915,1916) Printed MRP 62 must get around 40-50 ,so try this...
 
Last edited:

Gunner

Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Messages
51
Points
8
Location
india
smnrock, had similar issues a couple of days back, those waves and a humming sound, the cable guy asked me to get a higher quality RCA cable, did that, its very negligible atm its almost 99.5% solved, to the point that it cant even be noticed, but still I would love to get rid of the remaining 0.5% too, read about this problem of ground loop, is there an electrical solution to this problem?

I have Speakers and a Woofer at close proximity.
 

smnrock

Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2009
Messages
70
Points
8
Location
blr
smnrock, had similar issues a couple of days back, those waves and a humming sound, the cable guy asked me to get a higher quality RCA cable, did that, its very negligible atm its almost 99.5% solved, to the point that it cant even be noticed, but still I would love to get rid of the remaining 0.5% too, read about this problem of ground loop, is there an electrical solution to this problem?

I have Speakers and a Woofer at close proximity.
Just yday i got quality RCA cable(MX) and surge protector as recommended by hemantwaghe.
I've connected RCA cable already, but as you said there is still some issue and now im waiting for my cable guy to come and connect the protector. Will update once i've done it.

Also since its ground loop issue, i removed my TV earth pin as of now to get rid of this problem and its 100% perfect now. I'm not sure whether its correct or wrong. But my guess is already i've one earth connection through my cable wire, so removing my TV earth pin wont be a problem :D. Any expert comment here?
 

mgdelhi

Active Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2010
Messages
542
Points
43
Location
Gurgaon
I suffered from speaker noice
so I used MX Lightning cum High energy surge protector MX-1629 ( packet also shows 1631,1630,1632,1915,1916) Printed MRP 62 must get around 40-50 ,so try this...

I have a couple of these which came with the 2 Samsung TVs I bought recently. If someone wants to pick them for free from Gurgaon. Most welcome. :)
 
Last edited:

Gunner

Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Messages
51
Points
8
Location
india
Just yday i got quality RCA cable(MX) and surge protector as recommended by hemantwaghe.
I've connected RCA cable already, but as you said there is still some issue and now im waiting for my cable guy to come and connect the protector. Will update once i've done it.

Also since its ground loop issue, i removed my TV earth pin as of now to get rid of this problem and its 100% perfect now. I'm not sure whether its correct or wrong. But my guess is already i've one earth connection through my cable wire, so removing my TV earth pin wont be a problem :D. Any expert comment here?
I am not sure working without a ground pin is quite a good idea, it should be there for a reason, anywho do updated me after the surge protector is installed.

Cheers.
 

smnrock

Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2009
Messages
70
Points
8
Location
blr
I dont know what happened, but now everything is fine. For testing i've used the old RCA cable which came with set top box and my TV earth pin also connected properly and everything is fine, no issues. :D

The difference i noticed is, today Hathway updated STB software and my signal level is around 64 range. Previous one was around 130.

Update: When i tested with old RCA, i didnt connect my TV earth pin correctly, thats why everything looked fine. But when i connected earth pin correctly ghost came back :(
 
Last edited:
Top