Have Akitimate Maxi..but moving on... whats next for a happy listner like me...HELP!

arhantd

Hello everybody.

Its wonderful to get lost in the world of Hi-Fi audio. Though I have been away for a while and I am by no measure an audiophile. But I love my music. I love my bollywood, my electronic and ghazals.and rockeverything else like the most of you here.

In July after a lot deliberation I bought a pair of Aktimate Maxi Active speakers and hooked them up with my computer through a E-MU 0204 USB DAC. So Ill share my thoughts and give a small review.
The setup took sometime to settle in, but the overall result was the best computer setup I could think of. Sure it was more expensive (45000/-) than I wanted to be but it gave me so many options. The built in AM/FM tuner is good and clear. The Ipod docks works with every model. Basically I gave a system that I could use anywhere and with anything.
Mostly I use it with my computer but every morning I listen to the radio. Every once in a while ill carry it to the dinning room and put on the Ipod for a small get together.

Now for the speaker itself. Its brilliant, its truly in the audiophile category.
Tight Bass, clear mids and decent highs.
Maxi is leagues over my previous Klipsch Promedia 2.1.
I have never felt tired listening to anything on these speakers, it sound stage is good and the clarity is also good. Anybody looking for an active setup with the above features + great sound under 50k cannot go wrong with these.

The only thing is havent felt till now is the crazy excitement or a chill down the spine. There could me many reasons for that:

a) I need a better setup or a different setup altogether
b) I could make some changes, like placement, stands, cables etc. to try and make things better.
c) My source is mix bag of good quality and bad quality stuff so!!!

So you all can give a few easy DIY things to make them sound better. Like I am considering putting them on a 1 thick marble slab (they sit on the desk directly right now). I am lazy it seems as I am writing this.

The thing is I love listening to music, I love when it sounds great to my ears. I say I am no audiophile because I will not bother too much with placement and components and natural sounds and recording quality and source and everything else that is important.
I am happy with good music. Maybe I am jus immature who has yet to learn all the functions of various components and there working but hey there is time for that and whatever time I have now I spend just listening.

The other thing is maybe my ears are not that trained yet, most definitely not. I am lucky enough to have a friend who has Tidal speakers and Magnepans and lets me listen to them whenever I want. I have a relative to who has a Wilsom Maxx in a 5.1 setup and whenever I visit I will listen to them. And recently had a chance to listen to Emerald Physics CS2.3 which was also brilliant. All of them sounded amazing to me and I will be happy with anyone of them or with others that cost much less also.

So this brings me to a another question that I need your help with.
I want to setup a system for about 5 lakhs in dedicated too of 20 by 20 which is great sounding for music, plays well with everything all rounder - (good quality stuff ofcourse), can be occasionally used for a movie (maybe like a stereo + sub setup), can be run through a computer as source. But the most important thing as you would have realized from this lengthy post is that it should be fun, exciting and HAPPY!

Its ok if its a little bright, its okay if its a little couloured as long as its not tiring to the ears and a funny happy system which makes you smile. It should be clear but with a big sound stage but its fine if I cant place the instruments. I think you all do get what I mean.

I am looking for a Happy speaker setup. You can say about 3-3.5 L for the speaker and 1.5 - 2 L for the other components and some treatments to the room. This budget can be stretched a little for something worth it. Easy and Fun listening is the key.

I live in Jaipur, auditioning is a problem so I will do all the research then probably take a couple of trips to audition in Bombay or Delhi.

From the research so far and what I have heard is that I should definitely audition

A) Emerald Physics 2.3 Absolutely loved it
B) Anathony Gallo Refernece and Classico Seems popular
C) Cadence Arista Arca Does it fit the budget? Is it an all rounder? Its Indian!!!!
D) Focal Chorus and Electra Have heard its musical so I think I might like it
E) B & W 800s Again, never heard but seems to be quite recommended
F) Any recommended horn based or Full range speakers like Blumenhofer or Klipsch
G) Any Active speakers
H) Any particular Internet-Direct marketed speaker - cannot be auditioned but still

I would want you all to give me suggestions of other speakers that will suit me and can be bought and auditioned in India. Also please suggest the associated amps and cdp/receiver.
As I am not big on components, I dont have much idea there, I will need all the help I can get.

One last thing I will also like to give preference to an Active Setup because of all the stuff I just wrote above. But so far I cannot find any which suits the budget and is comparable to similarly priced Passive. Meridian is out of budget and question. Please suggest anything that is in this direction only.

Remember, Its music that matters the most and it should make you smile when you listen to it!!!!!

Thanks for bearing with me on this long worded post! I hope you all can take out sometime to comment on this thread. And hopefully it will help me as well as some other music lovers out there.

Regards and Best
Arhant

Re: Have Akitimate Maxi..but moving on... whats next for a happy listner like me...HE

hmmm.. for that budget.. better gurus input the same.. though you in jaipur.. would be eager to drop down and give em a listen once is done.. good to see someone from jaipur..

and yeah auditioning is a issue in jaipur. dont think there is any hifi shop yet..

Re: Have Akitimate Maxi..but moving on... whats next for a happy listner like me...HE

Based on availability, I can suggest the following from the south of India:

Emerald physics speakers (ARN systems Bangalore). Not sure about amplification.
Harbeth speakers (Absolute phase Bangalore). Not sure about amplification.
Blumenhofer speakers with Trigon amplification (The listening room Bangalore)

There are many more if you are willing to import.

Last edited:

Have heard Emerald Physics and loved them too (would definitely vote for them).

Also, Thiel at Audio People. They also stock Avalon (but they might be out of budget).

A friend has Focal (Electra) and they are great sounding too.

In actives, the Genelecs have great reviews here and they would be in that budget but I personally did not like their "uncolored" sound too much. I found them too analytical (like sterilized medical equipment) and also lacking in bass.

Also, listen to the Monitor Audio Gold and Platinum series (again Audio People). I found them to be a more complete package compared to the likes of DALI and B&W.

Thanks for the Suggestions.
@ musicbee - Thiel is an important one to check out, will have to see whats in budget. Genelecs i guess would be too much of a monitor.
Monitor Audio, i will see where in bombay to check em out. Thanks for the recommendations.

@ square wave - i remember reading that u chose blumenhofer over emerald, can i ask why?? i mean both seem to have different concepts and both have great reviews. Out of the three you have mentioned. Have you heard em all? Which seemed most happy to you?

@ theironhorse - fellow jaipurite, will be nice to meet sometime. Whenever you are in town pm me and wll fix up.

I am open to importing. Even open to a good second hand deal. As long as i know what i am buying.
I am just confident right now about deciding this online.
But if there is internet direct speaker or an import really worth looking at, i don't mind.

Thanks for the Suggestions.

@ theironhorse - fellow jaipurite, will be nice to meet sometime. Whenever you are in town pm me and wll fix up.

:) i am already on leaves.. will be in jaipur on saturday for a week.. lets plan a meet...

Please, it will be great if some more people can chip in and suggest stereo setup for just love of music and not audiophile transparency and neutrality. Something that is an all rounder and if i say so makes most recordings sound good! Please help. Budget around 5 L for the setup.

In actives, the Genelecs have great reviews here and they would be in that budget but I personally did not like their "uncolored" sound too much. I found them too analytical (like sterilized medical equipment) and also lacking in bass.

There could be a speaker positioning problem if there was a lack of bass. Did you position the Genelec against the wall behind the speaker or was it positioned about a meter away from the wall behind the speaker? Which model did you audition, if I may ask? :)

The feedback we normally hear sounds more like this! :)

Had an opportunity to listen to the Genelec bi-amplified 8040A. Astonishing Bass from a speaker so compact in size.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back