HD Media Players: Seagate; Iomega or WD

These prices are of Jan 5th so i suggest cross check again, maybe the prices have gone down. also ask if the HD Mini 2 has launched or not.

ACR-PV73200 P+
AC Ryan Playon!HD Mini FullHD Network Mediaplayer ( With Out Wifi Dongle ) rs.6810.00

ACR-PV73200 P+
AC Ryan Playon!HD Mini FullHD Network Mediaplayer ( With Wifi Dongle ) rs. 8200.00

ACR-PV73100 P +
AC Ryan Playon! HD Full HD Network Mediaplayer ( With Wifi Dongle ) rs. 9500.00

Shrivinaya Bhatt <[email protected]> Mumbai representative

i think they have their office somewhere in vikhroli.
you can call their bangalore office and take the details of mumbai one.
Tele : 91 080 41753490 / 41139553 / 41210347

all the best and with your equipment i think Mini should be enough. also checked with them and they said that 2tb works fine with the mini. saw 1tb on sale for 3000rs today on the net. so overall a mini (6800) plus a 2tb hdd (5000) should do you. in 12000 you have a 2tb media player set.

STILL THEIR hd AUDIO PASSTHROUGH CAPACITY IS DOUBTFUL,no-one confirmed till end and company was lying in first phase ( BTW Extreamer too) so just recheck the facts..

And their specs conveniently skips talking about DTS MA. I doubt they have the capacity of playing Blu-Ray folders well without stuttering as well as understanding the menus. If these capacities were there, they would have shouted from the rooftops.

There is a detailed thread here on PlayOn.

Also this thread.

Cheers

Last edited:
These prices are of Jan 5th so i suggest cross check again, maybe the prices have gone down. also ask if the HD Mini 2 has launched or not.

i think Mini should be enough.

IS IT POSSIBLE TO check out all their 5 models in a COMPARISION TABLE. I can'y seem to find 'COMPARE" anything on their website:mad:

you cannot compare on the site
but the only diff i found out was the WIFI and the Internal HDD

Hi,
I am using Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ (FAT+)over DLAN protocol to access media contents from my NAS.
So far its working flawlessly and had played all kind of file I have (including some Blu-Ray files). The only thing I don't like is the UI which can be enhanced drastically.
Few things you should consider before buying media player:
1. If you already have a NAS or an external HDD(1TB or so) or a DLNA server then go for Seagate FAT+.

2. WD Live Plus is really a good device with nice UI and comes with a 1TB inbuilt HDD which can be upgraded to 2TB at max. Now if you already having a HDD then I would recommend you Seagate FAT+ else go for WD TV live plus. Why to spend again on HDD ?

3. Both supports almost all the formats you can think of.

4. Price: I would recommend you to visit Staples in your city to get the best price. I reside in Bangalore and went to a well know local market to buy electronics and returned disappointed.
Bangalore SP Road
Seagate FAT+ price:- 5200/- + 13%VAT
WD TV Live Plus price:- 12000/- + 13% VAT

Staples Bangalore
Seagate FAT+ price:- 4800/- (all inclusive)
WD TV Live Plus price:- 10900/- (all inclusive)

-------------------------
Seagate FAT+
Synology ds110j

Are you ok with Non DTS HD-Ma support? and questionable BD support? why not basic Xtreamer?

I need ur help Hemant on "Non DTS HD-Ma support?" - I really do not understand this part....... Does this mean that if the audio of a file is ONLY encoded in this format....then POHD may not decipher it at all ? I mean, how exactly would this defect impact my viewing experience ?

Regarding "questionable BD support" .... whatever little I hv researched, I find users complaining about almost all brands. There is'nt as yet a "perfect" player & within a BUDGET to satisfy everyones interests [what with the plethora of file-formats!!].

Profesional level players may exist and where they are used in mini-theatres. BUT those would cost a BOMB. So, I guess with some compromise I have to settle for the player which gives me the MOST BANG for the Bucks :eek:

I need ur help Hemant on "Non DTS HD-Ma support?" - I really do not understand this part....... Does this mean that if the audio of a file is ONLY encoded in this format....then POHD may not decipher it at all ? I mean, how exactly would this defect impact my viewing experience ?

:eek:

Check my earlier thread on HD audio decoding Media players ....noone gave concliusive Proof about POHD

Regarding "questionable BD support" .... whatever little I hv researched, I find users complaining about almost all brands. There is'nt as yet a "perfect" player & within a BUDGET to satisfy everyones interests [what with the plethora of file-formats!!]

I am not too sure about this. I have seen both Dune and Popcorn Hour play all Blu-Ray I threw at them flawlessly. This included rips as well as ISO. The Popcorn Hour is reasonably priced while the Dune is expensive.

Cheers

In my opinion why only segate, Iomega and wd I had used Asus Oplay Air which was better than these three and price wise almost competitive why can't he try this? It played any thing that i threw at it. Ofcourse not a high end player but compared to rest of the three this is better.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back