HD Sound Decoding -Blu Ray or AVR??

Sony 350 is better than Panasonic in terms of sound quality. And Sony can decode HD internally and can o/p 7.1 analog too.

Thanks,
Prakash,

All but HD Master Audio which sits at the top of the pantheon on HD audio formats in terms of bit rate. Thats why out of my consideration list. Cant afford to miss DTS HD Master Audio.

If you had a HDMI capable receiver then you could go for BD35 which is much cheaper.

Also, if you don't have HDMI audio capable receiver, and don't plan to upgrade soon, then why not go for BD35 as it has got 5.1 analogue instead of 7.1, and much cheaper??

I think you mean to say Eight (7.1) analogue outputs on BDP....... Any idea why HD audio viz MLP/ DSD on DVD-A/ SACD are only 5.1?

No, I meant 7.0. The sub output is standard across all Codecs - whether 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1. If you talk about number of channels, then you say 6, 7, or 8 channels which included the LFE output. In AVRs that have analogue ins, in addition to the LFE/Sub in, you will have 5, 6 or 7 RCA connectors.

hey venkat are film soundtracks being recorded on 7.1 these days?

Dolby TrueHd and DTS-HD follow different paths.

Dolby TrueHD bitstream can carry upto 14 discreet channels. For Blu-Ray, TrueHD is actually an optional code which could be 8 discrete audio channels at 96 kHz or 2 channels at 192 kHz. By default, all Blu-Ray carry standard AC3 audio track which is the primary audio. When it recognises a hardware that can decode the additional tracks, they are added to the primary audio track. Thus all TrueHD players can down mix to upto 2 channels.

DTS-HD also contains the original audio stream, but has a 'difference' or 'residual' stream. that contains the variation between the original movie sound and the lossy DTS compression. During recording, the signal is sent as two streams to the encoder. The first is sent to the primary or core encoder for compatibility with standard DTS encoding. In the player, a decoder decodes this signal as is done in a DVD. The second stream compares the differences between the decoded signal to the original audio and generates the additional audio signals that are needed. This is encoded by a lossless encoder and packed with the primary audio signal. The process is reversed during decoding. Because DTS works on the concept of calculating differences between original sound track and the DTS lossy compression, it uses variable bit rates as compared to Dolby TrueHD.

Though early Blu-Ray discs contained only the primary audio track, new discs contain full 8 channels to represent what the original film has.

Cheers

Last edited:
No, I meant 7.0. The sub output is standard across all Codecs - whether 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1. If you talk about number of channels, then you say 6, 7, or 8 channels which included the LFE output. In AVRs that have analogue out, in addition to the LFE/Sub out, you will have 5, 6 or 7 RCA connectors.

OK. I thought you were cross referring to micjak77 as he had mentioned that his AVR has 7 analogue jacks (6.1)

BTW I did not know that AVRs could have 5.1/7.1 analogue out.
I only knew about inputs :D

I suggest to go for the Pana because of its excellent downmixing capabilities from 7.1 to 5.1. The Sony also provides this capability but I found the sound quality from the Pana much more cleaner.

This way, there is also no need to upgrade your receiver as well. If you make sure to disable the HDMI audio then you will get excellent analogue reproduction from the Panasonic. Other than this, for PQ and start up and other jazz, the 2 models are comparable.

If you had a HDMI capable receiver then you could go for BD35 which is much cheaper.

Side note : Any reason you are not considering the PS3 esp. given its ethernet capabilities as well as being able to handle a plethora of audio formats?

Call me a bit of purists, I would like to have a movie player than a gaming device which does a bit of everything. Im not that much into gaming too so doesnt make sense for me - thats Y PS3 is ruled out.

Hey Reju are you sure that BD35 has 5.1 analogue out? I doubt that, i did some research before deciding upon BD 55. Read this

Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray Player Review - Home Cinema Reviews - TrustedReviews

I think you are right.

There was some confusion, because when you search for "DMP-BD35 rear" in images.google.com then 1st result shows back pic of DMP-BD35

DMP-BD35 rear - Google Image Search

But then when you click on that image the URL show BD55
http://www.panasonic.net/avc/blu-ray/dmp-bd35_55/specifications/img/mainparts/us_rear_bd55.jpg

Here you can clearly see only 5.1 analogue output.
Since BD55 has 7.1, i guessed that this picture is indeed for BD35.

Sorry for confusion....

But I wonder which Panasonic model as 5.1 analogue?:confused:

I think you are right.

There was some confusion, because when you search for "DMP-BD35 rear" in images.google.com then 1st result shows back pic of DMP-BD35

DMP-BD35 rear - Google Image Search

But then when you click on that image the URL show BD55
http://www.panasonic.net/avc/blu-ray/dmp-bd35_55/specifications/img/mainparts/us_rear_bd55.jpg

Here you can clearly see only 5.1 analogue output.
Since BD55 has 7.1, i guessed that this picture is indeed for BD35.

Sorry for confusion....

But I wonder which Panasonic model as 5.1 analogue?:confused:

Hey Reju, what you looked at is indeed BD55 which has 7.1, see the image below, if you see the 3 column from left it says 2nd surround back so that makes it 7.1. Looks like Pana doesnt have a 5.1 analogue model at present.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/artman2/uploads/1/DMP-BD55K-jackpack_1.jpg

Apparently one of the older model BD-30 has 5.1 analogue out but then doesnt have onboard decoding. Smart ass move!

What I am learning here is that one way or the other you got to spend either on a slightly expensive HD audio decoding BD player with 7.1 analogue out or even more expensive HD audio receiver's. But going for a BD with onboard decoding is still a lot cheaper option in my opnion.

Does anyone know of a well rated BD player that has all the onboard decoding and has multichannel analogue out and falls in the $300 range aprt from Pana BD55 which is retailing at $399. Let me know.

samsung BD-P2500. 7.1 analog outs, decoding for HD formats (including DTS MA through a firmware upgrade), HQV Reon chip....excellent blu-ray, excellent DVD upscaling (just a whisker short of the Oppo 983 as per one review)....all for 300$

What I am learning here is that one way or the other you got to spend either on a slightly expensive HD audio decoding BD player with 7.1 analogue out or even more expensive HD audio receiver's. But going for a BD with onboard decoding is still a lot cheaper option in my opnion.

Does anyone know of a well rated BD player that has all the onboard decoding and has multichannel analogue out and falls in the $300 range aprt from Pana BD55 which is retailing at $399. Let me know.

samsung BD-P2500. 7.1 analog outs, decoding for HD formats (including DTS MA through a firmware upgrade), HQV Reon chip....excellent blu-ray, excellent DVD upscaling (just a whisker short of the Oppo 983 as per one review)....all for 300$

Thanks for letting me know about this:clapping:

I ll do some more research on this one.

Hey Reju, what you looked at is indeed BD55 which has 7.1, see the image below, if you see the 3 column from left it says 2nd surround back so that makes it 7.1. Looks like Pana doesnt have a 5.1 analogue model at present.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/artman2/uploads/1/DMP-BD55K-jackpack_1.jpg

Oh yes, they saved on extra output jacks!

They should have at-least mentioned (7) 2ch audio out/surround back. But they only mention (7) 2 Ch audio out!!

And they mention only 5.1 for (8) (9) (10) & (11)

So much confusion!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back