hdmi and onkyo 506

archmisha

Hi,
I bought onkyo 506 receiver.
I am trying to connect to it my laptop with hdmi input
On the other end i connected the receiver to my plasma tv with hdmi cable too.

My problem is that the receiver forwards the sound to the tv and doesnt output it through my speakers.
Is there a way to configure it to do that? I saw some comment on the forums here that says that it is impossible to do according to the manual of onkyo 506.
If so, what other ways do i have in order to solve this?

Thanks

Hi,

My problem is that the receiver forwards the sound to the tv and doesnt output it through my speakers.
Is there a way to configure it to do that? I saw some comment on the forums here that says that it is impossible to do according to the manual of onkyo 506.

Thanks

buy an external soundcard with optical out and presto - connect it to you receiver and get the result.

thank you for your reply.
into which output will i connect the external soundcard in my laptop?
and what is presto?

cant i somehow split the hdmi output of the laptop into optical out and video hdmi?

thank you

My problem is that the receiver forwards the sound to the tv and doesnt output it through my speakers. Is there a way to configure it to do that? I saw some comment on the forums here that says that it is impossible to do according to the manual of onkyo 506.

The Onkyo lower end models have this stupid concept called HDMI pass through. In other words, they will not process audio received through the HDMI cable.

You have to find some way of sending the multichannel audio signals from the laptop to the 506 using either analog cables, or digital cables such as coaxial or optical.

Cheers

HI

It looks like you have your terminology a bit mixed up.

Your conneciton should look like the following if you want to watch video from your laptop on the TV

Laptop (output) ---- HDMI ------- TV (dont bother connecting to receiver)

Laptop --->-- sound card with optical or coax connection --->---- optical or coax cable ---->---- receiver -->--- speakers

Alternately you could simply use a Y-cable to connect the laptop headphone jack to the white and red input jacks on the receiver to get a 2 channel sound.

Hi,

Thanks

HI

It looks like you have your terminology a bit mixed up.

Your conneciton should look like the following if you want to watch video from your laptop on the TV

Laptop (output) ---- HDMI ------- TV (dont bother connecting to receiver)

Laptop --->-- sound card with optical or coax connection --->---- optical or coax cable ---->---- receiver -->--- speakers

Alternately you could simply use a Y-cable to connect the laptop headphone jack to the white and red input jacks on the receiver to get a 2 channel sound.

Yes, currently i am using the y cable. But i dont wanna loose the quality.
As i understand optical cable can deliver 5.1 channel sound.

I tried to do the following and it works too:
Use the pass through from laptop to tv and then connect analog cables to tv out with receiver aux. This way i dont have to pull too many cables from the laptop.

I think i like suprateep's idea of external sound card in order not to loose the sound quality. But i dont understand how i can connect it to my laptop exactly.

And what about docking station?

External sound cards connect to your laptop via USB.

docking stations dont have optical out as far as I know (but why do you need this in the first place?). The ext. card should take care of this when connecting to the laptop.

If you are using Y cable then you are already losing the 5.1 sound. but again what is your source and can you really get the 5.1 channels?

Dont over engineer this. Sometimes 2.0 channels sound pretty good.

I am using y cable temporarily. I watch movies from my laptop all the time.
I saw that hp docking station got digital out that i can connect to the receiver.
So its either that or ext card.

Check if your laptop has SPDIF out. If so just use this cable to connect it to the reciever.

l43aj.jpg

If the laptop doesn't have an optical out, either you can get a sleek PCMIA type like this one-

creative-sound-blaster-x-fi-xtreme-audio-notebook-1.jpg

OR an external USB one like this -

d3fb7d22a94bc26bc983091ebb710bed.jpg

Cheers.

I think buying a USB DAC will work for you. You can connect the DAC to the laptop via USB port. These DAC have optical output which can be connected to any reciever/amp.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back