HDMI and two channel audio

DSD-Capabale DACs and all the skulduggery needed to convert multi channel audio to two channel is beyond my understanding. High end multi channel processors will do a good job of DAC conversion and present the music in full 5.1 glory to you. That is after all the way it was meant to be heard, is it not?

But of course, I understand each person has his or her own tastes.

Cheers

...High end multi channel processors will do a good job of DAC conversion and present the music in full 5.1 glory to you. That is after all the way it was meant to be heard, is it not?

But of course, I understand each person has his or her own tastes.

Cheers

That is the catch for me. If I'm able to conjure up a working DAC either by myself or through someone else, incorporating the change to work with SACDs is pretty much a non-issue. Ofcourse the easier and most elegant way of achieving this would be to get a high-end processor, which is not really an option for me. The reason I was interested in HDMI interface for this application is that it would reduce cable clutter and save me a few thousand rupees. :D Also, I prefer to listen to SACDs and DVD-As in stereo mode rather than multi-channel mode... :)

^^ which is a waste of money on perfectly good SACDs, the stereo layer is identical to Redbook...

The two times I heard SACD and DVD-A in surround, I didn't find them all that greatly superior over 2-ch SQ wise. This was on an Energy Connoisseur system powered by a Denon 3805, as I remember. However, they were far better than the redbook versions of the same albums. I tried DSOTM and Working Man's Dead...

1. I didn't find them all that greatly superior over 2-ch SQ wise.
Versus
2. However, they were far better than the redbook versions of the same albums.

Did you just contradict yourself or did I miss a point?

Regards

Did you just contradict yourself or did I miss a point?

Regards

:) Try now...

1. I didn't find them all that greatly superior over 2-ch SQ wise.*

*I did not find the 5.1 ch. versions of SACD/DVD-A better than the 2-channel versions of the same, SQ wise.

2. However, they were far better than the redbook versions of the same albums.**

**I did find the 2.0 ch versions of both SACD as well as DVD-A far better than the redbook version of the same albums.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back