HDMI cable purchase help??

vishalj

Hi,

I have recently purchased a 32 inch Sony Bravia (32V550) and am also planning to get a WDTV live from US (through a friend). I want to connect these 2 devices with HDMI cable. I am interested to know which HDMI cable should I purchase which would be best for this purpose and also which are not too costly. My friend in US told that if I want he can get a HDMI cable in 70$ (I have no idea which brand or specs). 70$ is too costly I think (??)

So kindly help me in choosing the right HDMI cable. I stay in Mumbai (Chembur), so would also be interested to know from where I can get these cables??

Thanks.

If you are going to use your WDtv with your LCD then I assume that it would be kept near your TV and this would mean that you would need a 1 - 1.5 meter cable. Here in India a good HDMI cable from the likes of Profigold, Panasonic costs around 2 -2.5 k for the above mentioned length and they are easily avaliable at Croma, eZone or other outlets.

Hi,

I have recently purchased a 32 inch Sony Bravia (32V550) and am also planning to get a WDTV live from US (through a friend). I want to connect these 2 devices with HDMI cable. I am interested to know which HDMI cable should I purchase which would be best for this purpose and also which are not too costly. My friend in US told that if I want he can get a HDMI cable in 70$ (I have no idea which brand or specs). 70$ is too costly I think (??)

So kindly help me in choosing the right HDMI cable. I stay in Mumbai (Chembur), so would also be interested to know from where I can get these cables??

Thanks.

go for BAFO cables... its arnd 2.5 to 3 m long and costs arnd 600-650 bucks.very good quality for dat range... my friend checked de quality with WDTV and Sammy b530.Very much satisfying.

if u cud stretch your budget try the VDH flat / VDH flat 180 / chord hdmi silver plus/ chord hdmi active ---all these`are a little expensive but realy value and come with a 10 year warranty

VDH is in the range of 6k for 2 mtrs
chord is in the range of 8k for 2 mtrs
cheaper ones u cud chk out the monster series 600hd/700hd/800hd
panasonic
belkin
local taiwanese cables

i dont think for tv viewing the quality of hdmi matters , but for use with projectors it definetly does

Last edited:
i dont think the MX is full hd i guess its only 1080i

According to magazines and their website, MX have recently launched 1080P capable HDMI cables. They are yet to hit the retail shops. I checked at Samson Electronics, Bangalore 10 days ago but they had no clue.

EDIT: Just saw Spiro's post on pricing. Don't go by advertised price. Not sure why it is priced this way, but we can get atleast 30 to 40% discount from the dealer atleast here in Bangalore.

Last edited:
I enquired & MX is available for around Rs.500 (1mtr)
China made 350.

You stay at Mulund right ?? ... you could get a 1.5mtr MX (1.3b) for around 325 bucks :p even at Lammy the price is similar.

I couldn't find any difference in PQ between the few brands of HDMI cables that I've tried so far :)

Check this link for HDMI Version Comparision. Nice tabular representation.
HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

You should get a cable which is version 1.3 compliant. And it is tempting to buy the cheapest. I am no expert but I have been using Qunex from ProFx (based on reviews). They are not cheap (about Rs. 5K for piece). If you use long runs my advice is to stay with a good brand.

If you are buying WD TV from US, ask u r friend to get HDMI cables from Monoprice.com, they r cheap and best.

As I have said many times, for regular distance, all you need is a good cable. In digital u either get 100% or dont, so there no question of cable quality affecting PQ.

Get this for 8$ (plus shipping 3-4 $) and u r done for future, its 1.3a and supports HD audio and video

For only $6.64 each when QTY 50+ purchased - High Speed HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified CL2 Rated (In-Wall Installation) Cable (24AWG) w/ Net Jacket - 6ft (Gold Plated Connectors) | Premium 24AWG HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Male to Male Cables

Dont fall into buying expensive HDMI cables, they are not worth it.

In digital u either get 100% or dont, so there no question of cable quality affecting PQ.

Sorry to go off-topic. Can the same be assumed for SQ on optical cable and digital coaxial too since they are digital?

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

How will you figure out if an HDMI cable supports 1080p or not?

Thanks
SBT

Hi Guys,

How will you figure out if an HDMI cable supports 1080p or not?

Thanks
SBT

Apart from the specs mentioned, IMO there is no other way to check at the time of buying.

Even I had the same issue while choosing a 10 meter long 1080p HDMI cable. Most dealers had some unbranded HDMI cables which they were quoting 7 to 10k for. Only branded one that I could find that was 10 meters long was DAC and that too was 9k. So, I just got mine through a colleague tavelling back from Australia. It is 'SONIQ' brand and is 1.3b certified with Life Time Warranty. Got it for 4k INR.

Now, these are available easily on Ebay India and I would recommend a Ebay Seller called "Cables Etcetra". Very prompt, quick shipping, reasonably priced and seems to knows his cables well. I bought an Optical Cable switch from him and even ordered a HDMI cable for my colleague from him.

PS: While going through specs, be careful if it reads 1080i. It means this cable has not been tested for 1080p and it is most likey to be compatible only for 720p, 1080i or lesser.

okay there is absolutely no difference between the picture quality among various HDMI cables, especially at short runs. Any well constructed HDMI cable will do. So go for the cheapest decent one. I use a Chinese one that cost 800 bucks, well contructed, with gold plating and shielding and all.....works well. If you want some more mental peace go for panasonic types that go for 1.5-2k. But under no circumstances more than that!!!

You'd have to be insane to buy VDH HDMI cables. Their claims regarding audio cables apart, any claims of superiority in picture due to different HDMI cables would be utterly and totally bogus (except in the case of very long runs).

I am fairly sure the MX HDMI cables will do a decent job (although I have never tried them). I have never heard of HDMI cables that can't do 1080p. Even DVI cables can do 1080p.....even component cables could have done 1080p if not for the 'standards' guys clamping down and 'piracy' being such a 'concern.'

Sorry to go off-topic. Can the same be assumed for SQ on optical cable and digital coaxial too since they are digital?

Yes, I tried a Monoprice optical, Monster Optical, and Chinese brand optical cable couldnt see any difference. Infact, Monoprice had a much better flexible build than Monster!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back