HDMI Pass through Vs HD Audio Home Theater System

tellranga

Friends,
I read the below interesting thread about HDMI pass through on 5.1 HT,
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-box/6219-conversation-shop-person-ht-shopping.html

I am crazy about Hollywood movies & good songs, but very rarely buy any movies / songs from any store or Music World. Will tell you what kind of movies / songs I play so far and will play in the future as wel,

• 100% movies will be torrent downloaded avi movies for free
  • 100% songs will be downloaded mp3 with a bit rate of 256 KBS / 320 KBS.
Reason is I prefer to invest my money in unlimited dowonload Internet connection rather on CD's from shop.
I have shortlisted HT system which has the following features,

• active subwoofer
  • HDMI pass through.
I am planning to play these files via my HDMI DVD player through USB port,
  • connecting my DVD player to my full HD LCD tv via HDMI cable and
  • connecting my DVD player to my 5.1 HT System via fiber optical cable .
So my question is,
Q1) For the kind of avi movies / mp3 songs I play do I deserve to consider HD audio HT System and buy Onkyo 6200 (for 45K) instead of HDMI pass through HT System and buy Onkyo 5105 / Denon 395(for 30K)
Q2) whether my Onkyo 6200 receiver is capable of decoding HD audio from avi movies & mp3 songs ?
Waiting for your guidance... rather regreting later after my purchase ...

Last edited:
Friends,
Q1) For the kind of avi movies / mp3 songs I play do I deserve to consider HD audio HT System and buy Onkyo 6200 (for 45K) instead of HDMI pass through HT System and buy Onkyo 5105 / Denon 395(for 30K)
Q2) whether my Onkyo 6200 receiver is capable of decoding HD audio from avi movies & mp3 songs ?

Mp3 songs aren't HD audio tracks. Hi-Fi enthusiasts over here don't recommend mp3 for a good music listening experience.

HD audio tracks are only present in Blu-ray at the moment, So a system with HDMI pass through should be enough for you ( I assume you don't have a BD player)

If you want HD Audio decoding etc - You need to think about a even expensive set-up.

What is the size of AVI movies? Are these even 5.1 compatible? I doubt as many AVI movies are just stereo

If you want to enjoy real HD you need MKV movies with 5.1 surround..now No DVD player ( IMHO) decodes it.. So you need WDTV or Xstreamer for it..

1. It all depends on your budget, I would say for a HDMI pass through one and invest money in good speakers. Many people make the cardinal mistake of buying high end amp and bad speakers. Remember speakers is what you hear!

Also, a good speaker will last time, but an AVR will change each year to new technology. So first invest in very good speakers and basic AVR, after that you can upgrade your AVR. We have enough thread on good AVRs pls read them.

2. Yes 6200 is capable of DTS-HD and Dolby Tru-HD

If you want to enjoy real HD you need MKV movies with 5.1 surround.

5.1 is not HD

If he wants real HD, he needs Blu Ray disks or Blu Ray direct rips from the torrent with HD resolution and HD Audio which will be around 18 to 25 GB per movie :)

For that to be a practical essence, he will have to upgrade his UL connection to min 2 Mbps

Mp3 songs aren't HD audio tracks. Hi-Fi enthusiasts over here don't recommend mp3 for a good music listening experience.
Thanks teky,
Does it mean that mp3 will produce only stereo output even when I play in my 5.1 System. Then insetad of mp3, what should be the file type I should download to feel my 5.1 HT System.
I accidently downloaded once couple of songs with dts extension. The size of each song was 50 MB ,whereas size of mp3 is only 5 mb per song. But since I played it in my Laptop, no matter how many times I played, I could not find any difference between a 5MB file like mp3 Vs 50 mb file like dts. I hope I will be able to distinguish it in my 5.1 HT System later. Will I ?
HD audio tracks are only present in Blu-ray at the moment, So a system with HDMI pass through should be enough for you ( I assume you don't have a BD player)
Ya I dont have a BD player. So I will be contempt with HDMI pass thro System itself.
Agreed.

What is the size of AVI movies? Are these even 5.1 compatible? I doubt as many AVI movies are just stereo
Earlier I use to google axxo torrents and it will give 700 MB size avi file. I am a big fan of axxo because of its picture quality.
Nowadays I google High Definition torrents and it will give 2 GB MB size avi file. I am equally satisfied with its quality. But astonishingly not able to find much difference in my laptop when i play a 2 GB file / 700 MB file.
May be when I purchase my full HD LCD tv + HDMI DVD Player + 5.1 HDMI pass through 5.1 HT System, I should be able to distinguish a 700 MB file / 2 GB avi file. Will I ?
If you want to enjoy real HD you need MKV movies with 5.1 surround..now No DVD player ( IMHO) decodes it.. So you need WDTV or Xstreamer for it..
Can you pls eloborate on MKV, WDTV or Xstreamer etc.

You can add graphiccard to PC & make it as source(HTPC)...
Thanks spirovious,
Are you suggesting me to connect my Laptop to TV using S connector and use it as a source to play the movies instead of playing it through my DVD Player? Is it possible to add a graphic card to a laptop( it is possible for Desktop, I know)
Not very sure on what you are saying. can you please eloborate .

1. It all depends on your budget, I would say for a HDMI pass through one and invest money in good speakers. ....
2. Yes 6200 is capable of DTS-HD and Dolby Tru-HD
5.1 is not HD
If he wants real HD, he needs Blu Ray disks or Blu Ray direct rips from the torrent with HD resolution and HD Audio which will be around 18 to 25 GB per movie :)
Thanks madbullram,
Which means when it comes to quality of sound in movies , first is HD and second is DTS-HD and Dolby Tru-HD. Am I correct ?
My misunderstanding was quality of HD track will be similar to DTS-HD and Dolby Tru-HD.
If he wants real HD, he needs Blu Ray disks or Blu Ray direct rips from the torrent with HD resolution and HD Audio which will be around 18 to 25 GB per movie.
This option is ruled out. Neither I can go for 18 GB Blue ray rip download nor Blue ray disk for every movie. Hence I think considering HD Audio 7.1 HT for me itself is wrong

Last edited:
Friends,
I read the below interesting thread about HDMI pass through on 5.1 HT,
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-box/6219-conversation-shop-person-ht-shopping.html

I am crazy about Hollywood movies & good songs, but very rarely buy any movies / songs from any store or Music World. Will tell you what kind of movies / songs I play so far and will play in the future as wel,

Like others have said above you dont have to worry either about HDMI passthrough or conversion, all you need is a good pair of stereo cables. Dont worry about musical detail, i.e., good quality music is not an option with mp3

Thanks spirovious,
Are you suggesting me to connect my Laptop to TV using S connector and use it as a source to play the movies instead of playing it through my DVD Player? Is it possible to add a graphic card to a laptop( it is possible for Desktop, I know)
Not very sure on what you are saying. can you please eloborate .

Well S vid cant reach 720p, Laptop GC are available with DVI output can do the job.
I am using 7300 GC for my desktop which can output 720p/1080i from DVI.
Similarly mobile GC(laptop) if can be added to your laptop,you dont need to buy other player.Check Lap's specification if GC can be added.
Sound output can be 5.1surr out with analoge OR spdf out(not for HD).
Most of ripped Bluray comes with dts unlike true HD format.

Pls reffer to-
Laptop Graphics Card
NVIDIA Quadro FX - Mobile Solutions

Well S vid cant reach 720p, Laptop GC are available with DVI output can do the job.
I am using 7300 GC for my desktop which can output 720p/1080i from DVI.
Similarly mobile GC(laptop) if can be added to your laptop,you dont need to buy other player.Check Lap's specification if GC can be added.
Sound output can be 5.1surr out with analoge OR spdf out(not for HD).
Most of ripped Bluray comes with dts unlike true HD format.

Pls reffer to-
Laptop Graphics Card
NVIDIA Quadro FX - Mobile Solutions[/d tUOTE]

How one can ADD Graphic Card to existing laptop? Is it possible?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back