HDMI splitters

gman

Hi guys, has anyone tried using HDMI splitter (using 1 input and connecting to 2 outputs)? I read quite a few reviews at amazon but most of them only talk about outputs 'observed' from TVs and the video part of it seems to be working fine. However, I did find a few reviews where the outputs were connected to AVRs and they found 5.1 downgraded to 2ch.

Has anyone in this forum tried the audio part successfully?

I recently bought an AVR which doenst have HDMI passthru, so trying to see if i can work around thru a HDMI splitter. Basically looking to connect HDMI output to both TV and AVR (I know that i can use optical cable but it doesnt support Dolby Digital plus and DTS Master audio. I know we may not have too many channels that pump out these formats today - just want to future proof if possible).

I am even considering returning my new AVR Pioneer 323K (which is still in transit) and get one with HDMI passthru if the splitters also dont work out.

Can you be a bit more specific what you are trying to achieve here ....

hi Sam9s, I am trying to see if i can take HMDI out from STB (airtel) and input that to AVR as well as TV - using a HDMI splitter. I know one could do optical from STB > AVR and get 5.1 audio but I understand optical do not carry DDplus & DTS Master audio.
I hope this clarifes.

hi Sam9s, I am trying to see if i can take HMDI out from STB (airtel) and input that to AVR as well as TV - using a HDMI splitter. I know one could do optical from STB > AVR and get 5.1 audio but I understand optical do not carry DDplus & DTS Master audio.
I hope this clarifes.

Again airtel STB offers DDplus & DTS Master audio ?? I think Not - it gives DD not even DTS - experts please help

believe the vs 323 supports HDMI arc, so dont believe you need a splitter... connect the stb to tv, tv arc to vs 323 output port?

the experts can chip, im a newbie

Again airtel STB offers DDplus & DTS Master audio ?? I think Not - it gives DD not even DTS - experts please help
Hemant, You are right. As i said in my post i am only looking for future-proofing. Let's hope we will be getting those hidef codecs from stb in 2-3 yrs time!

believe the vs 323 supports HDMI arc, so dont believe you need a splitter... connect the stb to tv, tv arc to vs 323 output port? the experts can chip, im a newbie

Toaster09,
I too am no expert. However, a note from soundandvision.com says 'ARC can convey Dolby Digital, DTS, and PCM, but none of the advanced codecs, such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, or DTS-HD.'

I am also hoping that these HDMI splitters also evolve in a year or so and overcome the audio downgrade issues (if they aren't already solved!)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back