Hdmi vs VGA

Shanmugam

Hdmi port in my monitor is not working, switched over to VGA cable but I am getting ghost/blur image at 1080p 60hz.

I connect using laptop hdmi >Lenovo hdmi vga converter > generic vga cable > monitor vga

Can vga handle 1080p@60Hz.
Do I need to switch over to a better vga cable.

Got from net All the pins are not connected in a vga cable.

VGA will not do 1080p. You need to change the resolution accordingly. I believe VGA supports max 640x480.

I am able to get 1080p but the image is blurry ..not crisp
That's because the Vga res is 640 X 480 which is even lower than the outdated Pal res of 720 X 576 on the older CRT TV's. See if your monitor has a DVI port. It looks like an hdmi port but one side of the port is straight.

Last edited:
That's because the Vga res is 640 X 480 which is even lower than the outdated Pal res of 720 X 576 on the older CRT TV's. See if your monitor has a DVI port. It looks like an hdmi port but one side of the port is straight.
The monitor does not have DVI port. DVI port is normally found in high end monitor

Usually the monitor will automatically detect and fit the resolution. Check your generic VGA converter and cable. Try putting to a different monitor.

From Tom's Hardware:

"VGA can indeed support 1080p. The quality of the signal begins to drop off above 1920x1080 (1080p) which will cause a drop in image quality due to the analogue nature of the signal but with a good enough cable and transceiver on either end it can be used for resolutions up to and including 2048x1536."

@Shanmugam What i understood from the connection chain is that the HDMI to VGA converter is the crappy thing. Actually flawless signal conversion (from digital to analog or vice-versa) is not possible with these generic converters. Signal transmission should be either digital to digital or analog to analog. So either get the monitors HDMI repaired or buy a new monitor if the repairing costs similar to a new one.

Hdmi port in my monitor is not working, switched over to VGA cable but I am getting ghost/blur image at 1080p 60hz.

I connect using laptop hdmi >Lenovo hdmi vga converter > generic vga cable > monitor vga

Can vga handle 1080p@60Hz.
Do I need to switch over to a better vga cable.

Got from net All the pins are not connected in a vga cable.
Most likely, the problem will go away if you change your cable. All pins should be present in the VGA cable. Most likely the cable is for some other purpose or defective.

VGA does support 1080p 60Hz. I use it sometimes to connect my PC Video card (which has HDMI + VGA + DVI outputs) to my panasonic plasma tv. In your case it must be the lenovo hdmi vga converter or the cable causing some issues.

Yes, VGA does support up to a max of Full HD. The image should not be blurry. I have used a powered converter to convert HDMI signals from my receiver to a VGA projector. Had no issues with image quality. Check the cable connections. Usually, if the connection is not perfect, such issues happen.

MaSh

Yes, VGA does support up to a max of Full HD. The image should not be blurry. I have used a powered converter to convert HDMI signals from my receiver to a VGA projector. Had no issues with image quality. Check the cable connections. Usually, if the connection is not perfect, such issues happen.

MaSh
Please share the powered converter you are using.

I am able to get 1080p but the image is blurry ..not crisp
Another possibility is that the setting in your monitor might be wrong. VGA works on a different principle so it is possible to screw up its settings. There might be a setting called "auto-adjust" or something to that effect. Try doing that.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back