Headphone from US

kapilg

Hi guys,

Am planning to purchase a headphone set (2) for movies (80%) and music. Will be playing it through AVR. Budget USD 50-USD100 max.

Till now have shortlised on below 3 models

MDR-XB500

Sennheiser - Noise-Isolating Over-the-Ear Headphones - HD 203

Sony MDR-V600 Studio Monitor Series Headphone in Corded Headphones at JR.com

Do not know how to compare these or what attributes to look for. Can someone please help choosing.

Also guide if there are better headsets in same range (with price).

What if I take a wireless headphone. Does it have any shortcomings as compared to wired ones ?

Do guide.

Thanks.

kapilg, I'd prefer Sennheiser over the Sonys. Check HD280 also - it is very good and costs under $100.

Thanks guys,

All the models you suggested are around $100 - 110. Is there anything in range of $ 50s. I have to buy 2 mainly for HD movies. If you can suggest some models in this range also, it would be great.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Friends,

Someone is suggesting me to buy the wireless headphones instead of wired ones.

Can some current users/experts guide me on

1) Is there a sound quality difference in wired and wireless headphones
2) Is there a radiation problem on extended use. Lets say I want to watch a movie every 2 days.
3) I understand that there is a continuous battery/charging issue in wireless headphones and these should we little costly than wired headphones.

Also need views on best brands/models on wireless headphones (with charging dock and where one transmitter can be used for 2 headphones) in the range of USD 50-100 each. I will bring it from US in next trip. Also I see better deals on e bay, so this also seems to be a good option.

Guys, really need your help here.

Thanks.

wireless is great convenience. Buy the RS series from senn they sounded nice in one of the demos. Though range may not be as high as claimed across the wall.

Thanks guys,

All the models you suggested are around $100 - 110. Is there anything in range of $ 50s. I have to buy 2 mainly for HD movies. If you can suggest some models in this range also, it would be great.

Thanks again.

First you need to search the forums to get a better choice for buying.

Also not sure why you need to buy 2 headphones for movies? Anyway for around 50 bux you can look at grado 60i or Koss Porta Pro, Audio Technica M10, Senn HD 201

Grado 60i is priced at 79$ and currently available for 69$ at Amazon.
AudioTechnica M30 is available for 48.9$ as of now. No idea how is this headphone.
There are few Senn headphones available for 50$ around. 202 for 19.95$, 201 for 16.95$, 515 for 60$ and 428 for 55$. But I've not idea how these are, probably someone who have these phones can comment on them.

Are they much better than closed AT50?

AFAIK, they are worse.

Btw, I suggest you buy a single good headphone worth $100+ which is wired.

And if you want one for movies, go in for open headphones and not closed headphones because you will get tired otherwise.

Consider AKGs as well as well Audio Technica.

Amongst Senn, your best bet would be 555 and amongst Grados Grado SR80.

I won't say AD700's to be worse by any measure. They are really good headphones, may be ATH50 is better(which I hope so and keeping fingers crossed ;-)).
Even I would advocated one headphone for 100+$ and I guess ATH-M50 fits the bill then, well it did for me. AKG's will be much costlier, ain't they?

The Ad700 has good quality over the frequencies, but very fast bass decay. So you wont feel much of an LFE impact. OTOH, at the price, I am not aware of other open hps which perform so well.
The M50s I am sure will deliver pretty much the same sound signature, albeit a little less airy, with better bass impac, for 20$ more. Moreover they are more portable, unlike the ad700s.

Dear Techboy and other experts,

1) Is there a sound quality difference in wired and wireless headphones
2) Is there a radiation problem on extended use. Lets say I want to watch a movie every 2 days.
3) I understand that there is a continuous battery/charging issue in wireless headphones and these should we little costly than wired headphones. Please confirm.

What are the comparable options in wireless for Audio Technica ATH50?

AFAIK wireless phones can't just compete with the wired phones in terms of sound quality. May be the experts can through some more light.
Not sure about what radiation effect you are asking about. My earphones are glued into my ears.

Kapilg, imho, wired hps would anyday perform better than wireless hps.

Konfused, I think he's talking about radiation from wireless hps.

Dear Techboy and other experts,

1) Is there a sound quality difference in wired and wireless headphones. Wired>Wireless at the same price point
2) Is there a radiation problem on extended use. Lets say I want to watch a movie every 2 days. Open are recommended because you will get tired otherwise, but for bass closed are recommended.
3) I understand that there is a continuous battery/charging issue in wireless headphones and these should we little costly than wired headphones. Please confirm. No idea.

What are the comparable options in wireless for Audio Technica ATH50? I doubt anything less than 15-20k or so, if at all.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back