Headphone meet, Newport Beach, California, 10/21/2009

shaizada

Hey Guys,

Here are some pictures and thread from a headphone meet where a bunch of us guys got together locally from Head-fi.org.

It was an absolutely blast. I took the turntable, phonostage, headphone amp, power conditioner, box full of records and some Sennheiser HD600 with the Stefanarts Equinox cable. We had great fun and it was awesome listening to the gear while meeting new people.

One pic of my setup there:
dsc00267v.jpg

Here are some pictures and the head-fi thread I thought I would share here with others:

CanMiniJam 2009 NB - Windows Live

11/21/09 Newport Beach, CA Meet Impressions Thread - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Last edited:
Ok here is the crappy part :(

I just checked the needle tip of the bearing pivot (the needle point where the tonearm rests on), with a microscope and it is JUST slightly bent at the tip.

I was wondering because I just hooked up the whole system back and saw that the tonearm was bending slightly to one side. I thought the azimuth settings might have gotten changed during transportation, but I thought I would check the bullet proof needle pivot and there it was...staring at me right in the face.

Anyhow, did some preliminary research and looks like its an extremely simple procedure. Call VPI tomorrow and they will send out a replacement needle. Just gotta pull out the old needle and stick this one back in with a dab of superglue. Oh well....

I made a small adjustment to compensate for the azimuth deficiency and the records sound just perfect. Still, I'd rather have a perfect unipivot needle.

Was listening to Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto - Girl from Ipanema 33.3 on Verve Records UK pressing...melted away into nothing.

Shaizada thanks for sharing your experiences. Since I recently entered into the world of tubes so this Vinyl discussion sounds like Mars. But I'm glad there are people out there who like to share their happiness.

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakres: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

Shaizada thanks for sharing your experiences. Since I recently entered into the world of tubes so this Vinyl discussion sounds like Mars. But I'm glad there are people out there who like to share their happiness.

--
helium

Shaizada, thanks for sharing this with us.
Are the mini can jams held usually at a members house or is it at a rented venue?
My brain has gone into overload protection seeing all that equipment!:D

--
helium

My dear friend, I'm very happy you found the magic in the warmth of the tubes. It really is a different world. Enjoy it.

Shaizada, thanks for sharing this with us.
Are the mini can jams held usually at a members house or is it at a rented venue?
My brain has gone into overload protection seeing all that equipment!:D

These meets can happen anywhere really. Sometimes it is at a members house, sometimes in a club house, sometimes a yacht club, sometimes in hotels...so really, just depends on how many people plan to attend. There are soooo many venues to pick from :eek:

These meets can happen anywhere really. Sometimes it is at a members house, sometimes in a club house, sometimes a yacht club, sometimes in hotels...so really, just depends on how many people plan to attend. There are soooo many venues to pick from :eek:

I totally agree on the above satement. Music may be a very expensive hobby or just a little bit. If you can buy a Corolla then definately you can buy a system that is music to your ears. It's all about how bad you want something in life. And in music there is no loss, only gain and pleasure for years. To share with you my personal interpretation of music is that in this material world there are many vices you may get attracted that will cost you 10X times more than your music system. It is up to you to analyse. Be intelligent!

So again it comes to how much inclination you have for finding your dream system (which you have heard) and I promise you will be immensely rewarded.

--
helium
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back